Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
I never said it was a poor choice for everyone.

"AFAIC" means As Far As I'm Concerned.

From my perspective, "I" prefer a 99 or BLR in 308, with or w/o a scope, to/over the 30-30.

No one has to agree with me. Some like red, some like blue. et.al.

Jerry

I'd like to throw in my support for this. This is exactly how I ended up, and after trying to get the results I wanted with a Marlin 336 in 30-30, I finally ended up with a Savage 99 in 308 Win and it has been my favorite deer rifle for over a decade.

My biases with the 30 WCF come more from expectations than anything else. Up until I got the Marlin, I had not killed a deer with anything other than a 30-06 or 12 GA slug. It did not help my opinion when the first deer I shot with it appeared wholly unfazed.

Ode to a 30-30 Pt 3 --- Like a Dog Returneth

It also did not help my opinion of the 30-30 that a lot of my neighbors carried them and used to unload their magazines at the deer in futility. However, this is something you would expect from folks that routinely tried 300 yard offhand shots. Their beer cans still litter my woods.

In regards to the .243 WIN, I have very little experience. My sons are all walking landforms like myself, so after a year or so on the 30-30 they switched off to 30-06. I never had to come up with a traditional yute rifle. However, I have a grand daughter now--celebrating her 4th birthday this weekend, and my interest in .243 WIN has been renewed. My only observation comes from the years I've spent here and elsewhere reading other folks' opinions.

It would see to me that 243 WIN shooters as a class seem to be the most concerned of any with premium bullets and bullet failures. This bullet explodes. This one pencils. This one failed on a shoulder. That one went in a ear and bounced around, etc.

I even remember someone wondering if it would not be better to take two different loadings out. Their favorite long range bullet seemed to blow up at close range, so they were looking for a second round they could toss in if a target showed up inside 50 yards. I offered the advice that I would stick to one loading, but let the closer animal wander a bit farther before shooting.

I don't mean to impune either of these august chamberings. However, I must say that, in the case of .243 WIN, would one of my favorite .308 165 grain Hornady Interlock SP's fail, I would expect the largest chunk to weigh more than a pristine .243 WIN.

As Jerry said, AFAIC.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Does the 30/30 in this scenario have to be a lever gun? How about a Bullberry barreled Encore? Old 788 maybe? That Encore with a 2.5-8 Leopold would be pretty slick here in the east. I'd likely feel a little different if I lived where the country is wide,and the wind blows all day long. Just a thought.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I been contemplating this question. For a beginning shooter I would want to consider the age skill and desire the beginning shooter has. I would also like his input as to which action they liked and if they can see and hit using the sighting system on the firearm. I would also want to consider if they liked firearms to collect and cherish, if they liked hunting coyote or if they viewed a firearm as a tool to accomplish harvest. If for instance the beginner liked to sneak around and stalk game. Loves rifles as something to care for and would rather fish then hunt coyote perhaps a vintage 30 30. If the beginner wants to post up and wait till he gets one, can use a scope well, and doesn't mind modern plastic bolt actions the the 243. They do have nice lever 243s and nice 30 30 bolts....but it appears on paper for deer the 243 is way more versitle with the added varmint advantage. For me personally I like vintage wood and 30 caliber rimed cases please.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.