Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Apparently NJ is one, but I read that it is "one of four states" that treat pellet guns as firearms and transactions must go through FFLs. Does anyone know which other states treat pellet guns as firearms? Or other jurisdictions? Is there a website that deals with this?

I have an RWS 48 that I want to list, but it seems I need to be careful of where I send it to.
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If forced to guess, I'd say: NY DE IL OR MA HI.

Put a disclaimer in your ad placing the responsibility on the buyer. When it sells, call a FFL in that state to verify.

Also, some mail order outfits, Sportsmans Guide comes to mind, have a big list of code numbers for products that are restricted in certain jurisdictions and a key to the codes. Check out an airgun on their website and then check the code.

PITA, I know, but so is jail (literally!), I hear.

The folks at Pyramyd Air also should know.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/30/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know but New York isn't one of them.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks!

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
New York city considers air guns actual fire arms along with black powder guns and prop guns that fire only blanks. Get caught with any of these without a permit and they will charge you with a felony. I guess thats what they mean by "common sense" gun control.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by IMR4350
New York city considers air guns actual fire arms along with black powder guns and prop guns that fire only blanks. Get caught with any of these without a permit and they will charge you with a felony. I guess thats what they mean by "common sense" gun control.
I don't know much about that shythole and don't care to. I've been there once and that was more than enough for a lifetime. New York state does not consider airguns or muzzleloaders firearms. I'm absolutely positive of that because I've ordered several over the past year and all were delivered directly to my door.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was talking about new york city not the rest of the state.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm aware of that but the OP asked about states, not cities.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm aware of that but the OP asked about states, not cities.

Didn't think about cities when I posted; thanks!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
tt

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not so concerned with states that consider airguns "firearms", as I am expanding the states that allow modern adult airguns as legal weapons to be used in hunting.

Lots of education and work needed in that area.

I probably don't want to hunt in a state that considers them in the same classification as a firearm anyway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If a black powder firearm is ignited with a primer not a cap, in NYS it is classified as a modern firearm, requiring a FFL and a NICS check. Pellet guns are only subject to municipal regulations.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by likeaduck
If a black powder firearm is ignited with a primer not a cap, in NYS it is classified as a modern firearm, requiring a FFL and a NICS check.
Not true. It's only considered a firearm if it has interchangeable barrels that allow it to use cartridge ammunition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'm not so concerned with states that consider airguns "firearms", as I am expanding the states that allow modern adult airguns as legal weapons to be used in hunting.

I probably don't want to hunt in a state that considers them in the same classification as a firearm anyway.

California allows airguns to be used for small game and turkeys.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm not convinced about using them on anything as large as a deer yet. The velocity and energy figures place them in the same ballpark as a .38 Special or .45 target loads. It'll kill 'em, but don't see it as a practical choice under normal hunting conditions. Ought to be a good turkey load.

I know from my outlaw youth that a .22 pellet is a killer-diller on squirrels and rabbits. Bigger stuff, not so much.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Air guns are legal for small game in NY. Regulations call for .177 cal. or larger at a minimum of 600 fps..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'm not convinced about using them on anything as large as a deer yet. The velocity and energy figures place them in the same ballpark as a .38 Special or .45 target loads. It'll kill 'em, but don't see it as a practical choice under normal hunting conditions. Ought to be a good turkey load.

I know from my outlaw youth that a .22 pellet is a killer-diller on squirrels and rabbits. Bigger stuff, not so much.

Modern big bore airguns will kill just about anything.

But, much like bow hunting, you have to pick your shot and place your shot right.

Not a problem if you do that.

This boar is much bigger than a deer, and I shot it at nearly 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work! Details on gun, pellet, shot placement, etc, please.

Like I said, they can kill larger stuff, but that doesn't make them practical, effective choices for average hunters under average conditions. You've clearly got your act together.

Had a guy approach me and another hunter at the parking lot of the WMA I hunt. He wanted to know if target practice was allowed there. He was packing a Benjamin .357 and a Talon .25. The magazine on the .357 was jammed and he drove for miles to discharge the load because he was afraid his neighbors would object to the noise. He also wanted to know if airguns were legal for hunting there (they're not). He was interested in hunting deer. Everything about him made it clear he knew next to nothing about guns or hunting, but he was eager to give it a go with the Benjamin.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nice work! Details on gun, pellet, shot placement, etc, please.

Like I said, they can kill larger stuff, but that doesn't make them practical, effective choices for average hunters under average conditions. You've clearly got your act together.

Had a guy approach me and another hunter at the parking lot of the WMA I hunt. He wanted to know if target practice was allowed there. He was packing a Benjamin .357 and a Talon .25. The magazine on the .357 was jammed and he drove for miles to discharge the load because he was afraid his neighbors would object to the noise. He also wanted to know if airguns were legal for hunting there (they're not). He was interested in hunting deer. Everything about him made it clear he knew next to nothing about guns or hunting, but he was eager to give it a go with the Benjamin.

Shot that boar with a 145 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from the Benjamin Bulldog.

Hit him behind the ear, towards the neck. Instant down.

[Linked Image]

The Benjamin repeaters use a rotary mag. May not work with some longer, heavier bullets, but work fine with the bullets I use, and a conventional 80gr pellet. (About 1000 fps with that)

My Bulldog is louder than my Marauder .25 by a good bit. Even though it has an integrated suppressor. I judge it to be about as loud as .22lr fired from a rifle. Not earsplitting, but not completely silent either.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like just the ticket for the OP on the coyote thread here.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 12 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.