Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Own one?
Use one?

I have seen the older skidders bought for snow ploughs.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have ran skidders here in bc when I used to log here, I prefer not to run them though as it was scary schitt indeed.
If you modify the blade they would make decent snowplows, you would have to angle the blade, they turn on a dime because they articulate in the middle, and go almost anywhere with a crazy guy running one.
The older skidder is going to leak oil and hydrolic fluid like crazy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Some of the old Tjacks with detroits were obnoxiously loud. That said I consider them a man's way of life. Big loud and just plain a work horse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ran a old Timber Jack with a Detroit and a straight pipe that ended right over my head on the metal roof of the cab. Talk about obnoxiously loud. I can still hear it 20 some years later. Tough old rig could do stuff you wouldn't believe the guy I worked for said I was to gentle on it. He once dropped a tree on me as I was driving by. He thought It was funnier then hell. Only guy I ever worked for that I had to buy the gas to get to the job sight because he was out of money. My check usually bounced. Made him pay me in cash. Was fun for a while.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
not the best snow plows. the blade is kinda tiny for that task, and they do not angle, but they can work in a pinch.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The ones around here that guys use for plowing snow usually have a wood clam on the front with an angled blade that the stick the forks into and secure with the bill of the clam. They make a snow plowing beast.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I had 3 back when i was logging,Timberjack,Tree farmer, and my last one was a 660 Franklin grapple.I hadd it rigged up so i could hitch a highway plow to the blade,had a few miles of road to plow.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I ran Cat 518 and 528 for while during my break in service and like has been said they have tiny blades. They will push plenty hard though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Northern B.C.
Rolled a big Deere down a pretty steep pitch, wheel to wheel , and came down on the wheels with the engine running, and none the worse for wear but for a bent Exhaust pipe, and some crumpled tin. Had it back to work same day, on site with nothing fancier than hammers, torch and a welder. The fellas on the landing said the thing went over and up at least 5 times,....it felt more like 50 from where I sat,...and my neck's still sore.

OIDabble had a really nice Clark for sale recently,....don't know whether he still has it or not.

Skidders would make a nice alternative to Border Patrol 4X4s , for chasing unwanted and intrusive miscreants around out here in the Mesquite.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ha ha,, theres a saying here in bc.."you aint a skidder operator till you rolled one" its true too
I was a faller, and a cautious skidder operator, but other guys were crazy good, I saw guys standing on the gauges riding those john deeres down the hill with a drag on,, I guess they will plow snow.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Now men, I'll throw out my old, "I don't need carnival rides anymore", speech.

Betwitch my army "rides", and various adventures on machinery, I see no need to pay for a thrill ride!

I could just as well be dead a few times over.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I only rolled mine on its side once, and it probably didn't count since i got thrown out of the cab !!!! there is a reason they have seat belts !!!!! blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had a Timberjack , sceammmmmming jimmyfor a while boys learned to run that and skidsteers , now where are my hearing AIDS?????????????.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.