Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I assume front first, but what do the pros say. Thanks Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many advise using the rear trigger first on really hard-kicking doubles, because recoil often causes the trigger hand to shift rearward. The natural reaction of the shooter is to then re-grab the rifle, which often results in pulling the rear trigger almost instantly after the first round's fired--resulting the rifle "doubling."

This kicks the hell out of the shooter, because two rounds going off almost simultaneously from the same rifle actually quadruples recoil, rather than merely doubling it. This is because the rifle's weight isn't doubled.

Once watched a guy who claimed to be recoil-proof shoot a .600 Nitro Express double by pulling the front trigger first. The rifle doubled because the recoil caused him to "regrab" the rifle and pull the second trigger. He lost his balance, falling over backward.

I've fired doubles up to a rather light .470 Nitro Express by pulling the front trigger first with no problem, but wouldn't try it with anything that kicked much harder. In fact, anymore I don't plan on shooting many rifles that kick harder than a .416 Rigby. Shot some real hard kickers when I was younger and dumber, including a .600 double, which actually didn't kick as hard as a much lighter .505 Gibbs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great advice, John and dittos on the 505 Gibbs! shocked eek

One shot with a 505 gave me a flinch that I still fight.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have been out booming with my open sighted (dialing them in) 8 3/4 # M70 416 Remington and I am doing rather well. That said, I want no more.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still shoot the front trigger first on my 500NE. It feels natural.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Front trigger first on my Merkel 500NE, otherwise it will double (the front trigger is lighter than the rear). Having said that, a friend managed to double my rifle twice in a row each time when he pulled the front trigger first.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Front trigger first on my Merkel 500NE, otherwise it will double (the front trigger is lighter than the rear). Having said that, a friend managed to double my rifle twice in a row each time when he pulled the front trigger first.

Just read your response again. Did you mean you had a double discharge twice because the rear trigger was used first?
I also use a Merkel 500NE, so quite interested to hear.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been told by serious double gun guys and two gunsmith that are trained to work on double rifles and drillings that double rifles are regulated to be fired front trigger first. I've only owned three double rifles and was not able to see much difference in the point of impact. That may have been related more to the operator than a measure of anything else. In the field, I think it would be best just to stay with which ever you find best for you. For me it was front trigger first.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The most natural sequence for trigger operation seems to be, to me, front trigger first and rear trigger second.Most people will benefit from front trigger pull of 4-5 lb.and rear trigger pull of 5-6 lb.You need to train yourself to not be clumsy and causing a double fire due to mishandling trigger operation.Get in the habit of gripping the trigger hand as far to the rear of the pistol grip as possible,don't cram the knuckels or heavy part of the hand close to the trigger guard.
Triggers on doubles vary a great deal in quality of pull,creep,etc.Count yourself fortunate if you have nice triggers or get them worked on to suit you.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackfly1,

It's true that doubles are typically regulated by firing the front trigger first, but always firing the front trigger first in the field often results in the throat in the right-hand barrel wears more. This is particularly true of older doubles that were shot a lot with Cordite ammo, which was hot-burning. As a result, eventually the right barrel's velocity drops and the gun may or may not be regulated when shooting the front trigger first--and sometimes firing the left trigger first results in tighter "pairs." Of course, this isn't likely to be a problem with new doubles owned by typical sport hunters, who don't shoot them all that often!

One of my two doubles (neither a "big bore") is a .30-40 Krag built on a Ruger Red Label 20-gauge frame by an unknown gunsmith. It drove me a little nuts until I figured out it would only put two shots together when the top barrel was fired first.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot my Merkel .470 NE front trigger first like it's meant to be shot. My rifle double on me and others before I sent it back for repairs and it hasn't doubled on me since.

I haven't noticed any regulation difference shooting the left barrel first or second. The left barrel just shoots better than the right regardless of which is fired first.

Several that have shot my rifle have doubled it by shooting the front trigger first. Generally those are folks that have never shot a heavy rifle so I try to make sure any that shoot it now have at least shot a heavy rifle or shoot the rear trigger first.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
A lot of great info. thank you all very much. Patrick

Retired Deputy Sheriff, 30 years gunsmithing and grip making, full time stag grip maker for 22 years.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I pull the front trigger first and have never had any of my doubles 'double' 577 NE, 500 NE and 303 British......I did however manage to break the front trigger two times on my V/C 577 Nitro, at the shot with a relaxed trigger finger I went on and tightened my right hand grip after I tripped the trigger being sure and certain to hang on to that shoulder pounding beast.

Took the rifle out to JJ while he was still in Enid and he fixed it, broke it again and returned the rifle to him again, this time he was able to contact V/C and they warrantied me a whole new and much sturdier trigger group, all is well so far, this thread is very timely as I just finished loading up 80 rounds of 577 Nitro ammo this morning, first time using the file trim die I got from CH4D dies, a very cost effective alternative to the RCBS or similar trim dies for the big bores.

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to include some info for any newer double shooters that may be reading this thread.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Love that .303 Brit you have!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

Just read your response again. Did you mean you had a double discharge twice because the rear trigger was used first?

I have only shot rear trigger first when I have loaded and fired single shots. When I fired the rear trigger (left hand barrel) I noticed that the right hand firing mechanism had also released - I could tell initially because both ejectors operated when I opened the action. I then paid attention to the cocking indicator pins on the side of the action, and sure enough they both tripped after firing rear trigger first.

This happens all the time with 570gn loads but never with my 440gn (reduced) loads.

It is either the light front trigger or maybe the fact that it is articulated - hinges forward so it doesn't damage your finger from recoil when operating the rear trigger. If I cock the rifle, push the front articulated trigger forward, and then let it snap back, if will trip the sear on the front trigger/right hand barrel.

The Merkel manual says to fire the front trigger/right hand barrel first for regulation purposes but I'm sceptical. Inside the action there is a spring loaded, recoil inertia interceptor block to stop the rear trigger/left hand barrel tripping when the rifle is fired (front trigger). The other trigger mechanism doesn't have this.

I believe the newer 140A Merkels in the big calibres have the interceptor on both trigger mechanisms now.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any decent double should be able to give the shooter his choice of barrels, especially if one is carrying a soft nose and a solid depending on the scenario. That said, it is conventional wisdom to fire the front trigger first, and most doubles have the rear trigger set to a heavier pull to avoid doubling. The doubling malady is one that has afflicted Merkels in the past as Paladin alluded to, and my understanding is this has been corrected by them.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

I have only shot rear trigger first when I have loaded and fired single shots. When I fired the rear trigger (left hand barrel) I noticed that the right hand firing mechanism had also released - I could tell initially because both ejectors operated when I opened the action. I then paid attention to the cocking indicator pins on the side of the action, and sure enough they both tripped after firing rear trigger first.

This happens all the time with 570gn loads but never with my 440gn (reduced) loads.

It is either the light front trigger or maybe the fact that it is articulated - hinges forward so it doesn't damage your finger from recoil when operating the rear trigger. If I cock the rifle, push the front articulated trigger forward, and then let it snap back, if will trip the sear on the front trigger/right hand barrel.

The Merkel manual says to fire the front trigger/right hand barrel first for regulation purposes but I'm sceptical. Inside the action there is a spring loaded, recoil inertia interceptor block to stop the rear trigger/left hand barrel tripping when the rifle is fired (front trigger). The other trigger mechanism doesn't have this.

I believe the newer 140A Merkels in the big calibres have the interceptor on both trigger mechanisms now.

mauserand9mm,

You might want to speak with Hebert at Merkel. Mine doubled on me and I know it wasn't me hitting the rear trigger since the first bullet hit point of aim and the second bullet hit about 16" high. That's both rounds going off pretty close to the same time. Every time I've seen someone else double from hitting the rear trigger the second bullet is usually 6-8' high.

I bought the rifle used, unfired, so it was about 5 years old when I got it. I sent it to Merkel and they sent it back about 3 weeks later and said they couldn't find anything wrong but replaced the trigger mechanisms. I asked why they did that if nothing was wrong and all they said was, "we put the newer mechanisms in". Worked for me. Hasn't been a problem since. Other than the shooter.

Here's a link to another post showing a fellow that doubled mine last year.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge,

I was working on the above post when you posted. The link is to my post last year where you indicated your count then was I believe 15 that you knew of.

I haven't been around much to know of other Merkel's doubling lately.

Let me know if you've heard of any more since or what your count is now. Hopefully they have done their homework.

David

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy. I downgraded the count when I culled out those where folks were strumming, hence not the gun's fault. What I don't know if this issue has been fixed with newer weapons after guys like you queried Merkel on the issue.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've never doubled my .470 shooting front trigger first (I've tried rear first but can't seem to make my brain do it).

Once or twice having the back of my finger hit the front trigger cured me of slacking off on my grip!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,153 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.