Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just how good is the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens?

I was in Florida for a week of bird photography last week. It included many opportunities to shoot birds on the ground, in flight and even while flying beside a boat 10 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean. I shot the lens handheld utilizing the Vibration Compensation feature, on a monopod and on a tripod with the aid of a gimbal head. The lighting varied from clear front lit skies to cloudy and backlit at times. I feel that I walked away with the highest percentage of “keepers” this trip as to any other trip prior to this one.

I was shooting the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens on either the Nikon D-7200 or the Canon 7Dii. I wanted to get a good feel for which body the lens performed better on, if there was a case. It performed great on both bodies (I have both Canon and Nikon mounts of the lens) and I feel going forward very confident of any situation that will present itself. The lens focused fast, locked on to the subject and tracked extremely well, even in challenging light. The few times it did not track well was more from the bird taking a sharp turn or me panning too fast and not keeping the bird in the focus area. In all the situations I was using Continuous or Servo focus and selected a center zone area in the camera. On the boat one day I chose to shoot handheld entirely and the relatively light weight of the lens allowed me to not feel strain or get tired even as the boat rocked. The boat trips especially impressed me with the focus speed and lock on of the lens. We were often shooting fairly flat gulls and Gannets that lacked the contrast one would hope for in flat light. I had many of the other photographers comment and even try the lens because they were unhappy with their current lenses.

After doing the field testing they were impressed to find that there were aggressive rebates on the lens as well. I am sure if they could have gotten cell service they would have called Mark or Joel up at Camera Land to order their lens and take advantage of the $120 rebate! Of course for the best pricing I would have told them to mention the 24 Hour Campfire!

All the images below were made using the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
my bird shots were also taken with that lens. I have found it to SMOKE my tamron 24-70 when shooting the kids basketball, although my 24-70 has been a dissapointment since day 1.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry to hear the 24-70 has been a disappointment. I love mine. What body do you shoot it with primarily if you don't mind me asking?

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
d800

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny, I had to recently send my Tamron 24-70 in for focusing repairs.

Regarding the 150-600, as with any lens, used in the hands of an experienced photographer, an average lens can take great photos. I really never had any complaints (other than low light shooting) before selling my Tamron 150-600mm as it is an excellent super telephoto for just under $1K. The next step up for a faster 500/600mm lens is several times more expensive.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
high country, that is the same body I use with my 24-70, but for landscapes. I haven't tried it for sports though.

I would agree FAIR CHASE, but there were a lot of photographers struggling to keep "lock on" when shooting the birds off of the boat. People can rely on equipment to forego becoming proficient in their technique.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
it came with aperture blades that did not close uniformly, the white balance compared to the other lenses in my collection are not even comparable and it lacks sharpness. I can get better results from my k5 with a 18-55. I just had high expectations for such a hyped lens. I should send it in and let them have another crack at getting it right, but I just don't want to be out the shipping for another disappointment.

I am no pro, but I have a few years and hundreds of great images to suggest that I have a reasonable idea of how to operate the camera.

I am impressed with my 150-600 in every way....but based on my sample of one, I would not refer anyone to the 24-70.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I would definitely send it in. I have had no issues with mine and I know they would like you to be pleased as well! Use that 6 year warranty!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never saw Fred Astaire dance on water, but you got him. Nice. And a piece of glass to covet.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
He does look like he is doing a little tap dance!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If those are all your own photos in your bucket, very well done indeed.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They are all mine. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice web site as well!!

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks! I need to update it more often.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of Cookie's friends has hauled one around for year. His take. For the price it's a great lens with its zoom range. A bit wanting at the front and back ends of the day and very acceptable with bright light. Not quite up to his more expensive glass, but still deemed worth the money.

1Minute
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CameraLandTamronPhotAdv

[Linked Image]

Lovely images. But not sure I'd be happy with the bokeh.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
1minute, I used to be worried about low light with it but I look now at using my cameras at ISO 3200 or 6400 if needed and the noise is minimal. I can deal with it especially when I look at the savings as you mentioned.

pal, The bokeh doesn't really bother me much. The Iceland Gull image was at about 260mm, so it doesn't smooth out really like it would at 600mm. Plus I was shooting at f8 to go for a little more depth of field. This gull is pretty rare around these parts and I wanted to make sure I captured all the detail.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is a few with my older Tamron lens. Not the quality of the others. Elk
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 02/10/16.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A pelican I photographed using a Nikon F100 and inexpensive 28-105 Nikkor AF-D lens.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
ElkHunter49, is that the old 200-500mm? I liked that lens a lot and it used to be my mainstay long lens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.