Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some of those came from Oz and NZ, I believe. Those guys were trying to get their issues resolved through their distributers, IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pappy348
As noted a couple of times above, the list is just a list of internet chatter. I quit searching when I got tired of writing down numbers, not because there weren't more to write. What it tells me is that there were a lot of affected lots. Winchester hasn't gone so far as to issue a general recall, but is for now willing to address the issue case by case.

Be safe and call.

Will do.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Does this affect any of the SMALL rifle primers?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know.

Feel free to Google away.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't run into any mention of SR primers during my Internet searches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I just got off the phone with Winchester and will add my experience with them. I called on Friday and left a message with Sharon. A Kirstin returned my call Friday afternoom and left me a message and a different phone number to call back. She asked me to provide her with the lot numbers that I had and she checked to see if there were any reported problems with those particular lot numbers. She informed me my primers appeared to be ok.

So while I guess new primers from them woukd have been the ideal solution, I have more peace of mind that my primers are safe.

Thanks

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
" appear to be ok" almost kind of sounds like we've got our fingers crossed we don't hear any more about new lot numbers?

I've got some lot numbers pretty close to the reported problem ones.. I know I've got my fingers crossed lol.

Last edited by kraky111; 02/01/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I received the cartons from Winny today to send my primers back. 1 carton for Magnum and 1 carton for Standards. Will email contact and get them on their way tomorrow. They should have received my 2 cases I sent them a week ago so waiting to see what they say about those.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deputy30
I just got off the phone with Winchester and will add my experience with them. I called on Friday and left a message with Sharon. A Kirstin returned my call Friday afternoom and left me a message and a different phone number to call back. She asked me to provide her with the lot numbers that I had and she checked to see if there were any reported problems with those particular lot numbers. She informed me my primers appeared to be ok.

So while I guess new primers from them woukd have been the ideal solution, I have more peace of mind that my primers are safe.

Thanks

My lot numbers appear okay too but they still had me send in almost 600 primers. Hoping for some kind of reimbursement for those as I am out almost $30.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I called today, read my lots off the list. She said she'd check and call me back.

I got a return call on my message line, one lot is bad, she didn't tell me which, I'll call her back tomorrow.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was cleaning my 270 WSM this past weekend and noticed a primer sized soot ring around the firing pin. It was thick enough to take a dental pick and scrape it off. There was no damage to the boltface. The load was a less than book max charge of H4350 sparked by WLR primers in new WW brass. There was no damage to the boltface.

Examining the fired cases revealed no signs of leakage, But the soot is coming from some place.

I have noted in the past that WLR primers are under size and seat somewhat loosely in the pocket. I just measured primers from 4 different lots of WLR. They ranged in size from .2100"-.2103". One lot of WLRM measured .2103". A CCI 200 measured .2111". A SAAMI diagram I came across specifies minimum diameter for a large rifle primer as .2105".

My guess is I am getting some minor leakage around some primers, but I can't see it on the case. I suspect some of the problems of failure being reported are at the least exacerbated by the under size diameter.

Anyone else have the soot ring without a pierced primer?

405wcf

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have these:

WLRM
HAL340G
HBL349G
HFL382G
KEL424G

WLR
HCL501G
DHL762G
KDL044G
YAL243G
YAL245G

None of these lots are on the list so far.

P

Sharon got back to me this morning. She wants the following lots back:

HBL
HFL
DHL
HCL
HAL

So beware, gents.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well... I had a few of one of those lot numbers and just gave em a toss.
What phone number are you guys calling if I can ask....I guess I need to call on others.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Kraky

618-258-2738 and you will probably talk to Sharon. I left a message with her and Kristin called me back and left the number 618-258-3453. Kristin is the one who checked my lot numbers against the 'master' list that they have.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sharon told me Winchester would replace my primers or cash me out. Now I'm torn. She said the new primers are proven and all the same lot.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I received the cartons from Winny today to send my primers back. 1 carton for Magnum and 1 carton for Standards. Will email contact and get them on their way tomorrow. They should have received my 2 cases I sent them a week ago so waiting to see what they say about those.

I never did get them to openly admit my primers were bad; they just sent me a new case. Not sure I want to use them though.

In my experience with this problem, all Winchester large rifle and large pistol primers are suspect. I've had issues with both sizes in multiple lots. I gave them another try when primers were hard to get, thinking it may have been a one-time quality control fluke, silly me. Apparently Winchester has a serious quality issue and refuses to fix it.

Never had an issue with their small rifle or pistol primers, but I've mostly been using other brands of those.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just off the phone with Sharon. They want all mine back - here are the Lot Numbers:

WLRM:
DFL188G

WLR:
DEL702G
DFL719G
GEL258G

I had two partial boxes of loaded cartridges which used WLR's from one of the lots above - one for my 9.3x62 and one for a .25/06. Fortunately, I did not de-prime the brass yet. Nothing interesting on the fourteen fired 9.3x62 cases. However, one of the eleven fired .25/06 cases had a small are of soot from the edge of the primer out to edge of the rim. Could not see anything wrong with the primer, but did not take it out to look. Sharon asked me to send this fired case back - they are issuing a call tag and UPS will pick it up.

Both rifles which used this primer lot each a very small amount of pitting which looks like it could have come from the primer. One bolt has one spot and the other two spots. She offered to pay for repair, but I really don't want to mess with either rifle as they are great shooters and I'm concerned machining down the bolt face will change headspace and the barrel will need to be set back. Maybe that's irrational, but I will live with them the way they are. Mine don't look near as bad as some of the photos on the web!

Thats my experience - only took one phone call to the right person. Thanks for those of you who dug up the information.

Phil

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For those of you sending primers back, are you sticking with the replacement primers or switching brands?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went and checked my supply of WW primers.

Mag.

HKL393G

STD

WHL101G
XML203G

No problems with any of these yet, but I have had several leaks with some WW factory primed 264 Mag cases. No way of knowing what lot number primers those are. The brass was bulk packed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have 1 partial brick (624/1000) of some WLR's with lot # XKL179G. I called Susan and left a message a few hours ago asking for information on that lot. I will give an update with their response.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1eyedmule, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.