Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
When releasing the slide on a semi-auto handgun that is in the lockback position, not counting guns like a CZ52, small pocket autos, etc. that don't have a slide release, do you:

Slingshot: Use the support hand to pull the slide back and release it

Strong side thumb: Using the thumb of the hand that holds and fires the gun

Support side thumb: Using the thumb of the hand that is not holding the gun

Other: Which way if none of the above....

I have a CZ52 and a couple of small semis that don't have a slide release and those are the only ones I use the Slingshot Method on.

If dropping the slide just to chamber a round before putting the safety on and then holstering or just casual/target shooting I use my strong hand thumb. If speed loading where shots are going to continue to be fired after the slide is down then as I slam the magazine home I just roll my support hand up to the shooting position and drop the side with the tip of the support hand thumb...

....and you Lefties...what works best for you?

Just wondering what works for you and why...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got short fingers so it depends on the pistol. My 1911 I use my support hand thumb (left) to push the slide release, my Ruger MK II .22 I sling shot it, my SIG P220 I use my right thumb to drop the slide.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have had several match shooters tell me that pressing the slide release down will eventually wear the notch enough that it won't hold the slide back, so I always use the slingshot method.

Granted it will take LOTS of rounds, but why rush wear?

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

If dropping the slide just to chamber a round before putting the safety on and then holstering or just casual/target shooting I use my strong hand thumb. If speed loading where shots are going to continue to be fired after the slide is down then as I slam the magazine home I just roll my support hand up to the shooting position and drop the side with the tip of the support hand thumb...

^ This is what I do on guns that have slide releases, for the most part, but with my 22 LR target pistols, I do usually slingshot the slide, & occasionally, I might on something else, but slingshotting is not my norm for most guns.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Left-handed here. I used to release 1911 slides with my trigger finger but went to slingshot long ago.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
it's a slide catch not a slide release

wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the slide stop lever will release the slide with minimal effort, I use the strong side thumb. If it requires more than minimal effort, I use the slingshot. I can use the strong side thumb on my Glock 19 and 43 but have to use the slingshot with the Glock 30.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"....and you Lefties...what works best for you?"

Lefties have it better as the slide release and the magazine release are easiest to hit with the trigger finger (for me anyway).

On guns that the Mag release can be switched (Gen 4 Glock & M&P) I keep them on the left side so all of my guns are set up the same.

What I hate is the NON ambidextrous safety on my Ruger MK III's and Colt Woodsman Pistols.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
it's a slide catch not a slide releasewink

Could be wrong... but I think that little lever thingy is a 'release'. wink

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've never been around a reputable instructor that refrained from stopping the line and whacking someone in the back of the head upon catching them using the slide stop as a release!

that and pinching the slide rather than grabbing it overhand

wink

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lefty here, I swipe the slide release with the side of my trigger finger (Glock).

Never been taught to slingshot the slide, but I've seen it done more than once where the shooter rode it home too far, and the slide didn't lock into battery.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never been around a reputable instructor that refrained from stopping the line and whacking someone in the back of the head upon catching them using the slide stop as a release!

that and pinching the slide rather than grabbing it overhand

wink

You knew my dad?.........grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use various methods depending on the gun and shooting position I might be shooting from. What works well standing may not be the most effective method when shooting prone. A method that works well with a full-size service pistol gets sketchy with a small pocket pistol.

Some platforms lend themselves to one method over the other depending on whether the pistol has a slide release or a slide stop.

Lastly, since the thing is called a handgun (singular), I think a well-rounded shooter should be able to operate all of the pistols controls with just the shooting hand. If you only know one way of doing things, your performance might get hijacked if things don’t go as expected.

Last edited by 41magfan; 02/01/16.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In combat shooting they reach you NOT to use the SLIDE STOP to release the slide into battery. You should grab the slide with four fingers and your palm (not thumb and pointer finger) over the top of the slide, pull back hard and release ( letting only the spring pull the slide forward, not following the slide forward with your hand), and continue the fight.

Typically, fine motor skills like manipulating the SLIDE STOP with your thumb are lost during stress.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 02/01/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's a slide catch not a slide release

wink

There is the bottom line!

I always do the "slingshot" as it is the most likely to put the pistol into full battery lockup.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the slingshot method gained popularity with the rise of the Glock. Early IPSC shooters usually seemed to use the slide lock/release when the 1911 was dominant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People who argue about nomenclature usually only do so because they're not qualified to talk about theory and technique.

If your slide won't go fully into battery by using the slidecatchrelease, fix your gun.

There are advantages to both methods, good instructors realize that. Some shooters are better suited to different techniques, good shooters realize that.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Probably 90% of my pistol shooting has been on a Beretta 92 or an issued M9. I can't reach the the slide release with my strong hand without moving the gun around a bunch so I use the support hand like RJM.
I don't own a 1911 now, but when I did I used my strong hand thumb to release it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a feeling the four finger and thumb over the top of the slide, is a technique that became more prevalent with the rise in popularity of autoloaders.

This method is probably most useful for those with limited hand strength.

Most old school autos have some type of grippy area near the end of the slide for the older school slingshot method.

For me, it is faster and more intuitive for my weak-hand to load the fresh magazine and slide right back into the shooting position, while my trigger finger (which is already straight along the frame) simply swipes down on the slide catch/release.

To load the magazine, then go weak-hand over slide, or slingshot, then back into the shooting hold, takes a little bit more time.

Bottom line, use what works best for you. Lots of people have different abilities and limitations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slingshot, it's how I trained so that's what I do. Trying to hit the slide lock thingy (how's that for terminology?) makes me look like a retarded sloth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.