C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The HuntThis Week's Weapon

1/29/16

Two for One: A Parenting Fail Turned Good

January is sort of kicking my ass.  Even with my new, improved scheduling and my 2016 hunter attitude, I am feeling the stress of not having enough hours in the day.  We all know time does not stretch and in this particular tug-of-war, time is going to win.  

In the past ten days, I've traveled, I've hunted, I've been in meetings that last for hours, my son lost his first tooth, my wife has prepared several meals I've missed, and I'm not logging more than 5 hours of sleep.  Something was bound to go bad and last night it happened.  And I could not have been more wrong about the way it went down.

My son, Hunter, and I had a big outing planned.  Picture this: you are eight years old.  It's a school night.  Not only do you get to go out to dinner with your dad, but you get to go to a Pistons game.  Yes! Dinner quickly goes from dad's choice to kids' and we go to B-dubs…yes, some Buffalo Wild Wings, messy and not mom-approved (at least at our house).  We have a good time at dinner, everyone eats, everyone gets cleaned off, and Hunter and I head for the Palace.  

Where all the gates are closed.  And the parking lot is empty.  Nobody's home.  In the back of my mind, I vaguely recall my wife saying something about the game being on Wednesday… 

I immediately jump into crisis-aversion mode and apologize to Hunter.  "Homey, I'm sorry, Dad screwed up."  Hunter, being the wise and wonderful boy he is, says "Dad, are you crazy? I got to go to B-Dubs for dinner, and I get to go out again tomorrow to the Pistons game?  This is AWESOME."

And just like that, all my perspective was flipped and I woke up. I started thinking about how every business success I have had came not from everything going according to plan, but from the twists and turns of events and embracing the philosophy that just being in on the hunt, as Hunter so beautifully put it, is AWESOME

David Farbman
"Success is always in season."

Buy The Hunt Today
New York Times® Best Seller
Click here to order The Hunt

facebook   Twitter   YouTube   Instagram  

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.