Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cummins,

You keep talking about western hunting, what was the last thing you killed in the west?

Your list implies you know wtf you're doing, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think it's reasonable to have both turrets and the doohickey marks on the vertical. It's called redundancy. There have been times I have made successful quick shots using reticle holdover only with no time to spin the turret. Shots from 250 out to 450 yds.

I giggle a little when I hear people that "need" to see reticle holdover points on low power and low light. Chances are that if a shot is to be taken at low power and low light, the target will be within MPBR of most any big game center fire cartridge. Hold center and squeeze.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cummins,

You keep talking about western hunting, what was the last thing you killed in the west?

Thanks!

Long range hunting started in Pennsylvania.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
each year I keep anxiously awaiting what comes out of shot show each year. I keep hoping we get a long range hunting scope that is tailored to our needs. There have been attempts made in the past but the optics world seems to have been taken over by the tactical community. sewer pipe diameter main tubes and FFP reticles seem to be where all the new stuff is going. I guess I will just have to accept the long range hunting community is actually pretty small and isn't the one driving optics sales. what I am looking for in a long range optic

1)30mm main tube
2)ZERO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3)low profile capped windage!!! even the tactical guys should want that
4) simple reticle with wind hold offs, we have a turret we don't need fancy doohicky marks on the vertical. must be easy to see in low light, not require illumination, and easy to pick up very quickly
5)must have a low power around 3x and no higher than about 16x, that could be a 3-15, 4-16, or 3.5-14 etc. if you go around that power range a reticle with 1 moa hold offs will show up great in low power and in low light.
6) second focal plane reticle SFP,
7)needs to track perfectly, actually this should be number 1!
8)glass should be bushnell elite 3200 or burris FF2 quality or higher.
9)price it around $1k
10) provide the elevation knob be capped if desired or ran without the cap.

Seriously you must not look around much. There are scopes out there meet your demands and more.
See Swarovski X5, Leupold VX6, Vortex Razor HD LH to name a few.
Your whine bears no merit. There are plenty of products out there to suit your needs.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Sound good except for it should go to at least 20X. And rather than a specific magnification on low power, how about calling for more than 20' field of view?[/quote]

Originally Posted by Ringman
Nightforce SHV covers A LOT of those requirements.

A used Nightforce cost more than the grand the OP requested.

Cummins,

Thanks!

Ringman and cummins have got to be giving safariman a run for the biggest idiot....toss dumb don in for sport too.

Last edited by Kaleb; 02/01/16.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Long range and hunting

Classic oxymoron

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, you know not what you speak.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
SFP is a inferior system
Sounds like you need a S&B.

dave

not in the power ranges I suggested. go adjust your FFP scope to 3x and see how great it works without or even with illumination. S&B is insanely over priced. I am not spending 3 grand for a scope.

Have used the 1.5-6x42 S&B for many years with no issues of any kind.From point blank to 500 yards.Same for the 3-12 and the 4-16.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Long range and hunting

Classic oxymoron

I disagree. A long shot for me is a easy shot for others. Most wouldn't consider 250-300 yards long range but I know a slew of guys that'll shoot up all their "shells" at that distance and not touch hair.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
[quote]Cummins,

Yep, but only in a small part of it, not the whole state.
These other scopes you guys talk about, are they something like
a Unertle?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kaleb,

Most wouldn't consider 250-300 yards long range but I know a slew of guys that'll shoot up all their "shells" at that distance and not touch hair.

I would bet what I consider big money that the vast majority, let emphasize vast, would think 200 yards is long range if you showed it to them in the woods.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would bet good money that in todays tough economy, manufacturers are going to offer more bread and butter products and cater to the bigger audience .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1)30mm main tube
2)ZERO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3)low profile capped windage!!! even the tactical guys should want that
4) simple reticle with wind hold offs, we have a turret we don't need fancy doohicky marks on the vertical. must be easy to see in low light, not require illumination, and easy to pick up very quickly
5)must have a low power around 3x and no higher than about 16x, that could be a 3-15, 4-16, or 3.5-14 etc. if you go around that power range a reticle with 1 moa hold offs will show up great in low power and in low light.
6) second focal plane reticle SFP,
7)needs to track perfectly, actually this should be number 1!
8)glass should be bushnell elite 3200 or burris FF2 quality or higher.
9)price it around $1k
10) provide the elevation knob be capped if desired or ran without the cap.

XX company could deliver per your exact specs and you'd still find a reason to beotch about it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Nightforce SHV lineup covers about everything on your wish list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 4-14x50 can be had for $1066, if I didn't like my SWFA stuff so much, I'd try one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

actually it doesn't nightforce doesn't have that great of low light reticles. the SHV 4-14 only comes in 56mm obj. the 3-10 model comes with the IHR and MOAR, while I love the MOAR its not suited to the 3-10 model. I suppose I could get the 4-14 but I would just have to deal with the 56mm objective, but weight becomes an issue. at that point I would probably go 3.5-15 NXS, which is what I have done on one of my guns.

online forums are funny when someone comes with real substance and questions things, attack the messenger and inpune them personally. more optics options benefit YOU!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a LRHS and it looks pretty nice to me. A bit over the price, but it certainly has a bunch of bang/buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

actually it doesn't nightforce doesn't have that great of low light reticles. the SHV 4-14 only comes in 56mm obj. the 3-10 model comes with the IHR and MOAR, while I love the MOAR its not suited to the 3-10 model. I suppose I could get the 4-14 but I would just have to deal with the 56mm objective, but weight becomes an issue. at that point I would probably go 3.5-15 NXS, which is what I have done on one of my guns.

online forums are funny when someone comes with real substance and questions things, attack the messenger and inpune them personally. more optics options benefit YOU!

NF just brought out a 4-14x50 SHV that literally covers almost every bullet point on your magical scope wish list. If you'd actually looked around at SHOT you'd have seen it at multiple booths.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4-14x50 costs $66 more than he can spend. Keep looking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by starsky
Cummins,

Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,557 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.