Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by starsky
Cummins,

You keep talking about western hunting, what was the last thing you killed in the west?

Your list implies you know wtf you're doing, so I'm curious.

Thanks!

None of the photo-hosting sites meet his stringent requirements on what a photo-hosting site should be. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by atse
cummins,

Please shoot more, and post less. Do us all a favor.
that's funny after me having to educate you on your own range finding binoculars. You didn't even know that was a Leica defect. You just spout the Internet pack mentality. Forum parrot is what I call it. If you don't like what I am saying you know there is an ignore feature. Or simply don't read it. 2 options. With that said GFY. You might need to google what that means.

I agree with him. And I don't need help with my binos.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Cummins,

You keep talking about western hunting, what was the last thing you killed in the west?

Thanks!

None of the photo-hosting sites meet his stringent requirements on what a photo-hosting site should be. smile

LOL grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane
Cummins,

Thanks!

Hahahaha laugh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IMO the biggest piece of gear needed for long range hunting is the shooter. Practice at 500 and 600 meters, in wind and other difficult environmental conditions. My local range has a rifle silhouette range that I use off-days. Once you are really good, then look for equipment to enhance your capabilities, which you can develop with ordinary equipment.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cummins,

Thanks!
Notice his answer to that? I've asked him the same thing in the past. IIRC, he did post one picture of a coyote he shot.

Don't forget, he claims that Utah is the center of the US hunting world. All the hunting stickers in the truck windows were his rationale...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Back Country Badasses" with a picture of 2 big mule deer on the back of a lifted Cummins seems to be the image I have in my mind....

Tanner

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the new SHV is FFP only, again did you read the requirements I put forth? I haven't seen the reticle in person but its going to rely heavy on illumination on low power. imagine what 1 moa subtensions are going to look like at 100 yards through a 4x scope on low power. the reticle will wash out at low power. This is what I keep saying. in all honesty FFP in that scope the reticle will be better in the mil version.

The other thing is it is the same weight as an NXS. I would probably pay the extra couple hundred and buy a NXS on the used market over that particular model of SHV even if they made it in a SFP.

When you make it back and after you answer Starsky.... Riddle us all this....

Under "hunting" conditions, with your "hunting" rifle with scope on 4x in "low light".... WTF do you feel you need the use of the subtensions at 100 yards? Do you hunt in F5 tornadic winds or just that anal/clueless? I've read plenty of your scope biatching threads to get a good idea on the latter question, by maybe you can shed some light on the first....

I've got a 13yo girl that's learned to "slide" the reticle around on steel and hogs in low light, using the wide posts to "bracket" the kill zone or plate if needed. This has been with SS MilQuads, Bushy LRHSs, and NF SHVs and NXSs.....

This schit is just as hard as you make it.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
"Back Country Badasses" with a picture of 2 big mule deer on the back of a lifted Cummins seems to be the image I have in my mind....

Tanner
Probably damn close, but I'm sure the last word would be "Badarses" as he wouldn't want to get in trouble.

Maybe this one!
[Linked Image]

Don't forget the uber diameter chromed out exhaust!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The Nightforce SHV lineup covers about everything on your wish list.

They are useless for anything but mini calibers with 2.8" of eye relief. The first time you take an uphill prone shot you are going to get your eye socket blasted.

I haven't found the perfect scope either. I like an uncapped elevation turret and have not preference for the windage can be either way. 30mm is good, glass has to be better than Elite 3200 or FF2, way better. The right reticle works fine on low power and high power even in FFP. Mil/Mil is OK too. Just set your chart or software to use it. The good scopes have 10-12 MILs in one revolution. What's not to like about that. I like the zero stop feature too.

Scope has to track perfect and hold up to hunting rifle recoil which far exceeds anything a tactical rifle can throw at it.

I'm with Ringman on the 20X high end. Sure makes it nice when practicing at long range to have those extra Xs. I have scopes with them and like it.

Everybody has a different idea of what long range is so that has to figure into your choices. Plenty have commented that they think long range hunting is an oxymoron. Everyone has their style.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

They are useless for anything but mini calibers with 2.8" of eye relief. The first time you take an uphill prone shot you are going to get your eye socket blasted.

I must've got lucky... 7mm mag, up hill prone off a pack. Keep guessing.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I must've got lucky... 7mm mag, up hill prone off a pack. Keep guessing.

[Linked Image]

Isn't that technically a Mini Caliber? SHV worked here too... 7 Mag too... Same one... Only 180gr Scenars though.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have you ever used one...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No, I have used plenty of scopes with inadequate eye relief. 2.8" is going to get someone hurt eventually. Just because it is a nightforce doesn't mean that 2.8" is OK. So you guys got away with it. There will be shot presentations that will get you banged with it.

Talus had a Vortex Viper on his 7WSM with only 3.1" eye relief. That thing tapped me in the glasses several times. Shooting a rifle that you know might tap you causes flinches.

I looked at them (SHV) at the SHOT show. They wouldn't let me touch a round off, however.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

Have you ever used one...

No

Ok.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So then you'll make assumptions on something you've never used before as if you have a clue... It has nothing to do with it being a NightForce... The SHV that Montana Marine linked has a 3.14-3.54" eye relief... All the SHV's have similar eye relief except the new SHV F1 which has 2.81-3.1" eye relief... So in your infinite wisdom the 1/3" difference is gonna get people hurt...

I'd worry more about your scope mounting technique, basic shooting skills and recoil management if you have any weapon moving 3" during a recoil impulse than I would about eye relief... Just because YOU had one tapping your glasses one time at band camp doesn't mean anything was wrong with the platform... The problem was more than likely in the shooter...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Might be worth heeding EHG's advice.

Nightforce would seem to fit your described goals.

They can be picked up used for a nice price with a bit of patient waiting and watching.

I've not used the SHV other than zeroing a rifle for someone at a range. The turrets were not as crisp as the NXS, but it seemed like a nice scope and I do not remember any issue with eye relief.

The NF NXS 2.5-10x42 has worked nicely for me on a 300 Win Mag, which does not have a brake on it. It is light enough to be comfortable, while in the Colorado mountains last fall. Turrets may be had capped or uncapped. Having used both, I much prefer uncapped.

[Linked Image]

The 5.5-22x56 works nicely when more magnification is preferred and have used it up to 338 LM's and never been bitten by either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I posted last week about the new newer SHV F1 in 4-14X50. That scope does have a more shallow eye relief of 2.8-3.1" I confirmed with a call to NF and they stated it was not a typo. The SFP scopes are not quite as shallow.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, I have used plenty of scopes with inadequate eye relief. 2.8" is going to get someone hurt eventually. Just because it is a nightforce doesn't mean that 2.8" is OK. So you guys got away with it. There will be shot presentations that will get you banged with it.

Talus had a Vortex Viper on his 7WSM with only 3.1" eye relief. That thing tapped me in the glasses several times. Shooting a rifle that you know might tap you causes flinches.

I looked at them (SHV) at the SHOT show. They wouldn't let me touch a round off, however.

Inadequate eye relief is inadequate eye relief and it will eventually bite you... remain cocky and they might eventually learn.

Got in a bad spot about 35 years ago in a remote spot on Kodiak when a buddy shot a deer on a ledge almost straight above him.

But don't worry, chicks dig scars...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Eye relief on the NXS Compact 2.5-10x42 is listed as 3.5". The 5.5-22x56 is 3.9".

Been enough for me on the lighter weight 300WM without a brake as well as the 7WSM's and 338LM's with brakes.

For comparison the SWFA SS 6x42 is 3.5" of eye relief, and it has never bitten me either.

S&B 3-12x50 PMII is 3.7" and the 5-25x56 is 3.7".

How much do y'all think is the minimum acceptable amount of eye relief?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.