Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
each year I keep anxiously awaiting what comes out of shot show each year. I keep hoping we get a long range hunting scope that is tailored to our needs. There have been attempts made in the past but the optics world seems to have been taken over by the tactical community. sewer pipe diameter main tubes and FFP reticles seem to be where all the new stuff is going. I guess I will just have to accept the long range hunting community is actually pretty small and isn't the one driving optics sales. what I am looking for in a long range optic

1)30mm main tube
2)ZERO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3)low profile capped windage!!! even the tactical guys should want that
4) simple reticle with wind hold offs, we have a turret we don't need fancy doohicky marks on the vertical. must be easy to see in low light, not require illumination, and easy to pick up very quickly
5)must have a low power around 3x and no higher than about 16x, that could be a 3-15, 4-16, or 3.5-14 etc. if you go around that power range a reticle with 1 moa hold offs will show up great in low power and in low light.
6) second focal plane reticle SFP,
7)needs to track perfectly, actually this should be number 1!
8)glass should be bushnell elite 3200 or burris FF2 quality or higher.
9)price it around $1k
10) provide the elevation knob be capped if desired or ran without the cap.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1)30mm main tube
2)ZERO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3)low profile capped windage!!! even the tactical guys should want that
4) simple reticle with wind hold offs, we have a turret we don't need fancy doohicky marks on the vertical. must be easy to see in low light, not require illumination, and easy to pick up very quickly
5)must have a low power around 3x and no higher than about 16x, that could be a 3-15, 4-16, or 3.5-14 etc. if you go around that power range a reticle with 1 moa hold offs will show up great in low power and in low light.
6) second focal plane reticle SFP,
7)needs to track perfectly, actually this should be number 1!
8)glass should be bushnell elite 3200 or burris FF2 quality or higher.
9)price it around $1k
10) provide the elevation knob be capped if desired or ran without the

Sound good except for it should go to at least 20X. And rather than a specific magnification on low power, how about calling for more than 20' field of view?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SFP is a inferior system
Sounds like you need a S&B.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a good long range hunting scope. It's a swfa 3x15.end of story. Killed a coyote at a pretty fair poke with it today. Just like many before it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
SFP is a inferior system
Sounds like you need a S&B.

dave

not in the power ranges I suggested. go adjust your FFP scope to 3x and see how great it works without or even with illumination. S&B is insanely over priced. I am not spending 3 grand for a scope.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
SWFA has big turrets that area easily moved. The scope is mil based as well. mil is for the my hose is bigger than yours crowd. there are other downsides to that scope. I suggested them making a MOA/MOA version but with SFP reticle. its not high enough power to really need FFP

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I really like mils. I have shot moa too, they are all just clicks, and a form of measurement. Let me give you an example of the easiness of mils. My hd b binos give me the yardage,and then the number of clicks in mils. For example.43 clicks. With mils you know that would be 4.3 mils of adjustment. Just add a decimal. I can range and dial in a couple seconds. With moa. I have to divide the total # of clicks by 4 as there are 4 .25 moa clicks in 1 moa. This adds a step and takes longer. Both methods get you there, moa just has an extra step. This takes longer and adds a Sep for a possible mathematical mistake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nightforce SHV covers A LOT of those requirements.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta be Shepherds scopes...

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nightforce SHV covers A LOT of those requirements.

A used Nightforce cost more than the grand the OP requested.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
False.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
With your FFP aversion aside, have you played with the bushnell LRHS in either power range?
If so , what did you find fault with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VX-6 is Über

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHutch
With your FFP aversion aside, have you played with the bushnell LRHS in either power range?
If so , what did you find fault with?

To my knowledge, the OP has not played with the Bushy LRHS, nor has he played much with any FFP reticle. By the sounds of it, he hasn't done much with SWFA SS turrets, or any mil-based scope, either. Most of his biases are based on poor assumptions and incorrect notions.

Essentially, he's just going to have to accept that his ill-informed opinions and preferences are NOT representative of the LR hunting community at all. That community is a fairly loud voice in industry, and plenty of scopes have come to market to fulfill its requests, while cummins' is but a single, faint voice asking for something that actual experience with currently available optics shows is inferior and undesirable.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
well said. you can lead a horse to water but.......

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Here's your 2FP. Not MOA, but mils are super easy. Zero stop kit is only $22. I look forward to your range report.

John

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P87716.aspx

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atse
I really like mils. I have shot moa too, they are all just clicks, and a form of measurement. Let me give you an example of the easiness of mils. My hd b binos give me the yardage,and then the number of clicks in mils. For example.43 clicks. With mils you know that would be 4.3 mils of adjustment. Just add a decimal. I can range and dial in a couple seconds. With moa. I have to divide the total # of clicks by 4 as there are 4 .25 moa clicks in 1 moa. This adds a step and takes longer. Both methods get you there, moa just has an extra step. This takes longer and adds a Sep for a possible mathematical mistake.

funny you mention that. you have that problem because whoever designed the leica geovid's evidently never let any western hunters try them out and test them first. It was an oversite that the ballistic program outputs like the way it does in MOA and makes you divide by 4. So don't fault the unit of measurement, ie MOA when its an equipment defect.

shocking to some of you guys I actually own an SWFA ss scope. so checkmate.

the FFP vs SFP lordy I am sick of the argument, a hunting scope spends most of its time on LOW power, at least mine does. when I need the features of the reticle I dial to max power to take a long range shot. if you have a scope from 12x to 16x in max power your NOT, I repeat very unlikely to use anything but max power. its not too much power to dial down for mirage, so with that said FFP is just a downside because the reticle isn't useable and is probably hard to see at low power where the scope spends most of its time.

FFP is for dynamic shooting situations where your likely to be changing scope power more often. maybe your shooting at moving targets, maybe your scope maxes at say 24x that is when FFP makes sense. that is why its preferred by competitors. This is a hunting forum and I said a hunting scope!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think you had better stick to open sights. You might be able to run those.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of what you describe sounds like a Swarovski BT 4W. I have a Z5 5x-25x on a varmint rifle and I love it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno' what we'd all do without cumminscowboy's laundry list of scope requirements. I'm on the edge of my seat to see who else fugg's their scope line up for SHOT Show 2017.....

Tanner

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,112 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.