Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

#3: Colt Huntsman 22 L.R. with 5 1/2" barrel 98% condition
#4: Colt pre-Woodsman 22 L.R. with 4 5/8" barrel 80% condition
VarmintGuy

VG, I don't believe Colt made any Huntsmans with a 5 1/2" barrel.

Also, the Sport length (4 1/2")barrel was not available on pre-Woodsmans.......

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntsman: Do YOU think I mis-measured the Huntsman's barrel length or just mis-typed (transposed) it onto my computer and then my various hard copy inventories?
And this, the pre-Woodsman had been re-barreled (do to its age and the availability of corrosive ammunition and the resulting barrel damage back then - 1915'ish?) and the replacement barrel DOES have the VERY rare "half moon" front sight on it.
That's the main reason I bought this example - because of the rare front sight and cool barrel length and the very good condition of the barrel as compared to the rest of the pistol and I wanted to have THIS barrel available should the need ever arise for one.
And hopefully some day it will be needed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Woodsman my Grandfather got for his retirement gift from Graybar electric in 1964. I have the pistol, the box, the target, the manual and the original receipt and holster - $99. cry No, not for sale. Ever.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
beats the heck out of a gold watch.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
beats the heck out of a gold watch.....

He got that too. The bosses gave him the watch, his employees gave him the pistol. I have both. grin

He liked the pistol more.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
well, yeah....

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have a nickel plated Frontier Scout that was Dad's before he passed it on to me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Them little K frames are hard to find in that condition.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Yes, it is in very nice condition.

I doubt if Dad fired it 500 times and I don't think I have put much over 100 rounds through it. Actually the box shows much more wear than the revolver does. wink

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I made a non invasive scope mount for this Colt 1930 Officers model 22.

It shoots better than I can from a rest.
It shoots 1" 5 shot groups at 25 yards with Fiocchi 22FHPSUB.
The cross hairs are jumping around that much.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 6" Colt Diamondback in .22 LR. Most accurate .22 revolver I own. Rugers and S&W are nowhere near as accurate.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I grew up shooting varmints with two Colts.
Pop's has a Match target 6" woodsman, and an Ace with a Kart slide. The latter was a squirrel killing machine.
He still has both.
Dunno if my old eyeballs can use them, but when the time comes..........they go into my safe.
Colts only go to blood relatives, are never to be sold..........lest PO'd passed ons come back as wicked poltergeists.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Accurate revolver?
My 648 Smith was very good IMHO.
I ran it in IHMSA field pistol.
One day while checking sight settings (spray painted silhouettes on cardboard) I was at the piggies.

5 shots, offhand, 50 yards.....sub 2".
They were left though.

Went back and same dang thing.

First time I took it for FP I did OK, and hit 8 of 10 rams.
Guy told me they fell a little slow, so start hitting them above center.....he volunteered to spot about target #5.

That was a good one, off hand, aim to hit above halfway LOL. Dunno if he was serious, having fun or what.

Sold that rig, to get a 651 for a fishing rig.
Didn't know they had gone up more than 648's.

Told the guy I sold it to, how well it shot. He emails a couple weeks later freaking out..........best revolver he ever shot. Duh, I told him it was a good one. Guess he thought I was BSing him.

Nope.

Pops had a 8 3/8" 48 that was wicked good too.

Got no dislike for a Smith rimfire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Gets shot with my home made non invasive scope mount.

[Linked Image]

This 1920 pre woodsman is a safe queen I have never shot. I got it when an old bank safe was emptied.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The only Colt I have is Woodsman my dad bought on 11/22/1971. It's in great shape, has all the paperwork, but as a $115 gun I don't expect it to shoot well...

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll give you $135 (money back and extry for shipping) just so's you don't have to be saddled any longer with that cheap POS....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm sure it's worth more than that. How about $150? If I'm not gouging too much ; )

Seriously though, is that incredible or what? And, he put it on layaway. The receipt shows a 20% deposit. We shot it a little as kids.

I just looked at a comparison of the dollar in 1971 and 2016. $100 = $594 according to the calculator I found. For comparison, a new, or used for that matter, S&W model 41 costs $1,000 today.

EDIT: I just looked at the receipt again. I had always thought he bought it from a local gunshop, and possibly used. But it cam from F. W. Woolworth, Inc., so I'm guessing it was new.

Last edited by Joseywales; 02/27/16.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I collected Colt Woodsman pistols in 2013.

[Linked Image]
1919 pre woodsman $360

[Linked Image]
1941 woodsman $299

Those were the cheap ones.

The $299 was at a pawn shop where everything is double prices and a few employees know nothing.
Someone brought in that pistol on consignment with 4 original mags. A customer bought 3 of the mags for so much money that the employee on duty thought that $299 was all the pistol with one mag was worth. I did not even dicker that price. When I saw it in the showcase, I had to keep from laughing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stupidly sold a Colt New Frontier 22/22Mag 7.5 barrel with the prettiest charcoal treated frame for some unknown reason. And that darn thing was amazingly accurate with both cylinders and a wonderful sweet light trigger.

I searched and searched gun shows and could not find one that was worthy replacement for under $900. Ended up with a gift from a client of a Ruger Single Six stainless 6.5" and after some trigger work it shot almost as good..................but it wasn't a Colt.

Stupid Stupid move on my part.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I collected Colt Woodsman pistols in 2013.

[Linked Image]
1919 pre woodsman $360

[Linked Image]
1941 woodsman $299

Those were the cheap ones.

The $299 was at a pawn shop where everything is double prices and a few employees know nothing.
Someone brought in that pistol on consignment with 4 original mags. A customer bought 3 of the mags for so much money that the employee on duty thought that $299 was all the pistol with one mag was worth. I did not even dicker that price. When I saw it in the showcase, I had to keep from laughing.

I think I mighta had to work hard on keeping from pissing all over myself. I wish I knew of pawn shops like that one.

Ever think of going to Las Vegas? Play the lottery? Bet the horses?
wink

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

530 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,765
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.