Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Last Friday night with my cross bow. 30 yards in heavy snow. The only thing I can say is it must have hit a branch or twig. I was left scratching my head.

Oh yea, 2 weeks before that, I missed a coyote with a 12ga slug. That was a pot shot though, he wouldn't stop running around.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/27/16.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pheasant - a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't believe it - easy shot. Dog gave me a dirty look.

Pronghorn 2012 - somehow I shot right over the back of a pronghorn buck at about 150 yards... He did NOT stick around to give me a second shot...

Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 02/01/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I miss ducks all the damn time. I am a terrible wing shot and I plan on doing something about it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
When did you last whiff on a deer sized critter(or bigger) and what was the situation?

2012 I think. I was muzzleloader hunting. I missed 3 ... one of them 2-3 times ... before I finally killed one. Sidelock, iron sights, patched round ball, percussion.

The first was a tough shot. Big bodied forked horn with very small rack. I'd seen the buck through the timber. It laid down behind a log with just the back of its head visible. I managed to sneak to within about 40 yards of it. The hill was curved so I couldn't see it kneeling or sitting. My only shot was an offhand shot at the back of its head.

The second was a big big 4x4. 25 yards, offhand, tried another head shot and missed. WTF was I thinking? Broadside, standing still, completely exposed. Basically a brain fart on my part.

The one I missed a couple times was one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen. I saw a similar one in the same spot about 2007, maybe bigger yet. It's real bluffy and the buck ran into a corner it couldn't climb up out of trying to get away. It was hiding behind a little bush. I tried to tuck the PRB between some branches ... guess I must have clipped one and it deflected. It stood there, let me reload and try again. I thought it was already wounded, looked hunkered up, but it must have just been standing funny. After the 2nd shot it ran back out into the road, a good graveled road, then ran up the road several hundred yards before hitting the brush. I was able to follow it and be sure there was no blood trail. I think I got one more shot at that buck on a different day.

I was heading back for one more whack at him (about a 4 hour round trip drive) and a very solid 4x4 crossed the road ahead of me so I chased it up into the brush. That shot didn't miss. "Solid 4x4" turned out to be an understatement. It was the 2nd biggest rack and by far the heaviest deer I've gotten in 40 years. The other one was bigger but ... I'm happy. And I'll have that tag again this year. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I missed a pretty easy shot up at chickenbuck in 2009. It was at a doe, standing about 40 yards away at most.

I center punched a popple I didn't see through the scope, right at heart level.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (257 roberts, 35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.