Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
OP Offline
W
What type of pants would you suggest for elk hunting in cold and snow? I was thinking about sometype of softshell pant and gators. Don't think I would want wool pants and have been told waterproof/hardshell pants get hot/sweaty.
What do you say?

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I just bought a pair of wool pants from Cabela's.. Had a good friend, now gone, but he said he dressed in good down clothing for outdoor stuff. On one trip he and his pals got soaked to the skin.. They had wool and soon were warm, his remained cold, wet and miserable.. After the trip, he bought wool...

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why no wool? Wool will keep you dry and warm, but not overly warm. . I have a pair of waterproof, wind proof synthetic pants. Wind proof is good, but too warm to move ar any pace faster than a crawl.

YMMV

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Wool is the only thing I bring on my cold weather elk hunts. There is nothing better!
King of the Mountain and Sleeping Indian (closed down) are some of the best.
There is always someone selling one of these two brands out there. Both are expensive but you get what you generally pay for. My stuff is over 25 years old and still going strong.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a couple pair of LL Bean heavy wool slacks that work very well; around $100.00 or so a pair. I've used them in sub-zero temps with a thin layer underneath.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/collectibles/australian/australian-military-wool-pants.html

These are the best hunting pants I have ever used. In my opinion, they are the perfect weight. Change up the type of long underwear you use and they will take you from the 50s or even 60s down to below zero. Warm when wet, absolutely silent and that button gaiter on the the hem really works well; no gaiter necessary. They have a double seat for durability and seem to wear very well; I've had mine for over 20 years, though my hunting has tapered off recently. They are getting hard to find in all the sizes so if you find a pair that fits, just buy them (buy them a little long). At fifty bucks they are a steal...

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Wool is the only thing worth a sch......!!!!!
49 yrs of experience say so!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Merino wool long handles and wool mil surplus pants.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have three wool pants purchased form a surplus store. A Canadian pair is lighter weight and not scratchy, the others are heavier. In any case, poly long johns take care of any scratchiness. In warmer weather (15F or more) I wear the Canadian pants, colder weather gets the heavier ones.

Wool will keep you warm even when wet.

Although I wear jeans a lot in decent weather, there is a lot of truth in the saying that "cotton kills".

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I wore wool for years. Then I bought a set of soft noise free bibs that Dick's had on sale for 1/2 price. When it is warmer,I wear poly long johns, blue jeans and a rain pant. Colder,I wear then bibs and poly long johns.I was never as warm in the wool as I am in the bibs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
We use wool (mostly military surplus,much cheaper). However, it doesn't stop the wind that effectively and can get a little heavy when wet. But, IMHO it's still the best thing going! Billions of sheep can't all be wrong. grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/03/16.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
These are wool army surplus (German I think) six-pocket trousers. I've used them for years. They are warm and durable but kind of heavy. They are too warm for mild weather.

[Linked Image]
These are cotton U.S. Army surplus six-pocket pants. You don't want to use them if it's going to be cold and wet.

[Linked Image]
I'm the guy on the left wearing Sitka Gear trousers. The are a pretty good compromise between too warm/heavy and cotton. But they cost $190.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been very happy with my kuiu attack pants. Unless I was sitting in the cold all day....they just work well, layer up underneath as needed, nice and lightweight with no extra bulk.
I like wool for sitting in the deer stand in Mn. but otherwise it's the attacks for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depends what you call cold. This calf was killed by my lady friend on a fairly chilly -35°C dawn. I was wearing heavyweight German army wool cargo pants, and heavyweight synthetic Polypro underwear. We were walking fast for three or four KM before the shot. I had on polypro top, wool shirt, down vest, down parka with hood, outer polyester orange shell parka, and balaclava. My clothing was barely adequate. Hers was inadequate. My Bro. in Law ( with rifle) also nearly froze up. We had to light a fire before we could attempt the field dressing.
[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Surplus wool when it's cold, Levi's when it's not.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love the OTTE Gear patrol trousers for snowy weather. They have loops inside the cuff that let you run a cord under your boot to keep the legs down as you walk. I've found that to be about 90% as good as a pair of gaiters if you have tall boots. I also have some FL wool pants that are good, but they absorb moisture much more quickly.

RLTW
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Various kinds of wool pants from surplus for lighter weight to L.L. Beans and Cabela's camo, to Malone wool. If really cold, merino base layer or even two layers. If I expect cold and wet, virtually all my clothing is wool. There is no doubt that even when wet wool insulates better than any synthetic. And down is great if you can keep it dry, but if you can't: wool. If you need lighter wear, surplus wool with a silk base layer is a great combination.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For cold and snow there are two choices - wool and the inferior stuff. High priced or milsurp wool pants work about the same: long lasting and warm when wet. At least 10 years ago I bought a couple pairs of milsurp from Cabelas for under $10 each and they're still in very good shape. The only problem was that they had button flies that were very hard to get buttoned. I installed zippers. They're ugly but I'm out there to get elk, not girls (I have a perfectly good one at home).

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gaiters and wool. I use fleece gaiters.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wool in various weights most of mine are eBay, surplus store, cabelas purchases. I spray camp dry on the knees and seat. Gaiters in the snow and light waterproof pants in the pack to put on over the top if it is pouring rain or in high cold winds. For warm days light wool, for sub zero heavy wool with heavy polypro base layer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.