Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess I understand the high bag limit if there is one, but what the heck do you do with that many geese? As long as they are edible I would still probably only want to take only about 4 or 5 home at a time.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
heavy shot high velocity BBs

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steel sucks, use Bizmuth and call it done.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ST50
I guess I understand the high bag limit if there is one, but what the heck do you do with that many geese? As long as they are edible I would still probably only want to take only about 4 or 5 home at a time.

Buy a freezer....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have killed a bunch of waterfowl including geese some have certainly killed more. I hunt and hunt alot. I hate being limited for any reason. They might not be hitting the dekes and you may have to make 50 yd shots or more even weather and bird mood depending.

If this is a one time thing certainly don't limit yourself to a pump nor 2-3/4". Borrow a 3" semi auto or better a 3-1/2" semi auto. Get some #2 or BBs and rollem their butts.. Your going to wind up wishing you had if you don't , promise.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Mine is modified choke - I should have listed that.

Your gun is perfect.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rost495

Buy a freezer....

Mmmm sky carp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rogers Sporting goods will ship you a case of 3" Federal BBs for $119.99. Borrow a gas auto. Averaging 50 rounds might mean 15 one day and 85 the next. Have fun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I got invited to hunt the Lesser Snow Goose migration next month.

I've got a 1970's Ted Williams mod 200 12ga (2-3/4") that I use for grouse hunting. It is essentially a Winchester 1200.

My question is on steel shot. I really don't want to go out and buy a modern shotgun for this if I can avoid it.

Anyone have any REAL experience shooting steel through pre-steel designed shotgun?

I've been told to expect to go through 50+ rounds a day for the hunt.

Your 2 3/4" gun will be OK not ideal but OK. If you like goose hunting then start shopping for a different gun. The most Snows that I've ever seen knocked down with 3 shots was with a 2 3/4" 1100.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
First year I hunted Geese I used my 2 3/4" Win 1200 with a modified choke with steel shot, I am going to say BBB size, and it worked fine. My second time I purchased a 3" 870 Express and I am not sure my kill percentage was much greater.

If you are calling the Geese into decoys a 2 3/4" gun will work fine. If you are "Pass Shooting" a 3" or 3 1/2" gun has an advantage.

If you can borrow a 3" or 3 1/2" gun, like others have suggested, do so. I would not purchase a gun just for this one hunt though until you know if you want to do this often.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
3 inch BB steel is my go to snow goose load, when I'm a "middle guy" in the blind I shoot a kicks modified, and 3 inch BB

But if I'm shooting clean up I switch to 3.5 inch and a pattern master as I'm doing the shooting on the edges

Find out what the average range of birds you'll be shooting.

While 2.75 inch wouldn't be my first choice I'd find some BbB and have fun....or borrow a gun

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To anyone,

Will the food pantries or homeless shelters take excess geese ?

I hate to shoot anything (except varmints) if no one wants to use it, and I sure wouldn't want a bunch of excess geese.

Myron

How many peckers can a Pecker Checker check if a Pecker Checker could check peckers?
(stolen from shootinurse)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snow geese have reproduced to the point they essentially are varmints.

We go every few years and are headed to South Dakota in a few weeks.

I started with an extended tube and 3" BB's from my Benelli SBE a Briley IMod or Patternmaster.

This year i have a loaner X-rail for my Extrema 2 to try out. $750 is a big hit but 22rds of bb's at a time should be fun. I have several chokes for it but am guessing it will mostly be the Patternmaster.

I also usually buy all of my shells from Rogers but got 2 cases of HeviSteel 3" BB"s for a song locally.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Couple notes - If your pre-steel shotgun is important to you than don't risk shooting steel through it. It might very well be just fine but I have seen a couple barrels bulge towards the muzzle. IIRC one was a fixed full choke and the other was a modified. I would suggest borrowing one proofed for steel.

Try to borrow a shotgun that can shoot 3.5" shells. You DO NOT have to shoot 3.5" shells on your hunt but having the option is good. If you have some furious shooting, ammo will be passed between hunters and you do want to miss the chance because the guys on you left and right are shooting 3.5" shells or one gets mixed and you feed a 3.5" into you gun rated for a 3". It happens. By all means don't worry about only shooting 3" shells. They are perfectly adequate but borrowing a 3.5" gun just gives you a little more flexibility.

Snow geese are still good table fare. Just because they are overpopulated does not mean that they are suddenly trash birds to be left to the coyotes. They roast well, make good chili, jerky or sausage.

Ask they guys you will be hunting with what size shot they prefer. Something between a #2 and a BBB will work but they will have a preference based on their experience in that area.

Personally I shoot 3.5" BBB but I hunt the outside and follow the cripples. They also pattern the best out of my firearm.

Semper Fi

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you don't know what else to do, I would run 3" BB steel. It is the most versatile.

Basically, re-read the three responses directly above this one, and follow their advice. They have obviously been there.

If you want to be invited back again, don't show up with inferior gear for the job at hand. It's not "OK" on these hunts to have gear that necessitates you get the front middle position each time because you can't smack geese far enough or fast enough.

Get it in your head that this is varmint hunting, not waterfowl hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by rost495

Buy a freezer....

Mmmm sky carp.
Every goose I shot this year was a Canada goose. While we have a season on Snows, we don't have a huge migration right where I hunt. I often wondered how they taste. I've heard a few opinions but haven't had the chance to try one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
50 yard geese take more. Thats a given.

How many folks going on a one time hunt, can hit a goose at 50?

Hence run what you got..... if you can't borrow....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW the most geese I've seen killed with 3 shots was out of a 10 ga.... and a situation that a short 12 would have likely done just about the same...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 3,218 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.