Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Folk's went to Africa, had a great time hunting with Marius of KMG safari's. I know a lot of people go and they had a great time and the PH was great ect. ect. This is my story. First it has been my dream to hunt Africa since I watched Mutual of Omaha wild kingdom as a child.So in late 2012 I started to look for outfitters.I started with a post on this forum. Marius contacted me along with others, but my planning was short lived as my wife was stricken with breast cancer It took a year but she beat it and life stared to go back to normal.I started to look again in the late winter of 2014, Marius was the only one I had talked with that had saved my info from before My wife having cancer. I had found my guy.Well like a lot plans get changed First my Family was going to go. But that didn't work out, Then a couple of friends were going with me and they dropped out.Marius was great to work with the whole time. Knowing he wasn't going to make a whole lot of money off me.I had told him early on I wasn't interested in trophy's and would be fine with shooting non trophy animals.
The trip
Flew Delta and stayed a the Afton house things went well. Met some people that knew people I knew. Had a good time there. Next day flew to Port Elizabeth and was met by Marius and his partner Louw. Got my stuff and away we went. First order of business was to check my gun after we got to the lodge. This when things got interesting. My scope was damaged on the flight, but it would some what group, anyway Louws wife took it to a gunsmith the next day tightened up the screws but gun was screwed but I did shoot one animal a blesbuck with it. Any ways It was clear I need to use one of Marius rifles. Tried his mauser 308 and missed twice on blesbuck but connected on a warthog at dusk.Now He was most likely thinking what a long week he was going to have I was shooting like [bleep], but he was a true pro encouraging me and trying to help me out. One thing for sure I should have shot off sticks more before the trip. Anyway day two ended with a blesbuck and a range trip it was Marius 300 win mag.for rifle and a understanding we would get as close as possible. I'm a big woods hunter having grown up in the Adirondacks of NY this was defintly different.
Day 3
Hunting for a dikker shot a baboon running at 8 yards running, Got the one animal I wanted to shoot.Ended day shooting a dikker at 165 yards longest shot even though I gave it a warning shot first.
Day 4
Fishing in the Indian Ocean, I like to fish, had a great time and I caught the most fish Yes more than you Marius.
Day Five
Shot a spring buck that Marius wanted out of the herd great stalk, Still having fun, Shot a wilderbeast that afternoon.
Day 6
Louw starts to hunt with us, Good hunter/ PH also, Shot a Kudo and a another dikker lots of fun still giving warning shots.
Day 7
Hunted on Louw's brothers place and shot a good wilderbeast, real good stalk. At lunch I helped Louw fix his chain saw (i'm good at them) Later that day we went and set traps for Jackel's.I like to trap this was at my urging.Get a call from other rancher 8th day will be hunting Zebra
Day 8
Hunting Zebra started a 7am for lone Zebra chase it all day Marius gets me within 60 yards with maybe 10 min. of light left.Couldn't have finished better.
The Good
Great time. real good people, good food/wine learned about rugby(great game) Marius keeps a great attitude even when things are not going good.Good animals really nice lodge I was very satified with my trip.
The bad
My shooting was not good,should have prepared more, Saw snakes,(not a big fan) Really it was pretty cool part of the experience.
I'm sorry I can't post pictures from this computer but you have all seen plains game.
Anyway now that I've been there I'm planning to go back.thanks Marius for great trip

Last edited by brucebruce; 01/18/16.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Congratulations! Sounds like a great trip! Stuff happens to scopes, so I suppose a back up scope is a good idea!

Marius is amazing at adapting to the hunter's style!

Now you have to start planning your "next" safari!!

Great to hear your wife beat it! Now take her back with you!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'd go back in a second, but I wouldn't bother taking my own gun. I think hunting with the suppressed guns is the way to go. If it was possible to hunt with one in NY (It isn't) All my rifles would have one. Plus it would be a lot easier to travel without. In Atlanta I was standing in line to get my guns and Craig Bodington was behind me in line. I introduced myself and had a nice chat with him. Seemed like a real nice fellow.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last year Marius was at the Expo in Raleigh, I was there with him and Craig had a booth across from us! Yes, real nice personable man!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
bruce, it is good to read your account of your 2015 safari. I am glad to hear that you had a good time with the folks at KMG safaris.

I am likely one of those poor souls who will read of the safaris of others but never get to go on one of my own. Please accept my congratulations and thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences. I am one of those who might not spend enough time shooting off of sticks prior to a trip.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
CT at the prices of some of these Safaris if a guy wants to go he can make it happen. Maybe he won't get everything he would like the first time, but it's doable. I never thought I'd get to go either. A guy has to go with out some toys, cut back on spending, focus on saving, but it is certainly doable. Now that I've got my "trophies" back to Idaho my taxidermist said if I only want him to do one every month, every other month or every quarter, that's fine with him. The guy I used was very flexible for me as well. pm if you have questions but the prices I've seen from KGM are very good. If you don't like them, talk to him and I'm sure he'll work with you on specific animals. As the Nike commercial says "Just Do It".

Marlin

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Crimson Tide (my wife is a fan also!!)

CaribouJack is 100% correct. Save a little, you control the costs, there's a daily rate for hunting then a trophy fee per animal.

Drop me a PM with your contact info, I can talk Africa all day!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
CT at the prices of some of these Safaris if a guy wants to go he can make it happen. Maybe he won't get everything he would like the first time, but it's doable. I never thought I'd get to go either. A guy has to go with out some toys, cut back on spending, focus on saving, but it is certainly doable. Now that I've got my "trophies" back to Idaho my taxidermist said if I only want him to do one every month, every other month or every quarter, that's fine with him. The guy I used was very flexible for me as well. pm if you have questions but the prices I've seen from KGM are very good. If you don't like them, talk to him and I'm sure he'll work with you on specific animals. As the Nike commercial says "Just Do It".

Marlin

Understand completely, sir. I've just got irons in the fire for the foreseeable future that will preclude a safari. I realize what it will take to make the trip, but for now, it is on the 5 year plan.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just don't give up the dream. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My advise to anyone going is practice off sticks as much as you can stand. I hunt mostly tracking and always big woods for deer, fast shooting sometimes at a running animal at close range. usually not a lot of time to think about the shot. If I use a rest it's a tree/ stump/ deadfall. I admit I struggled with the sticks plus I think I was nervous having someone around when I was shooting.I calmed down after a couple days but I know it was on my mind.

Last edited by brucebruce; 01/19/16.
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My buddy and I hunted with Marius and KMG in 2012 and had a great time. My buddy Bruce is getting married this year and his honeymoon is going to be another hunt with Marius. Louw was my PH over there and man can that guy hunt!!!!! I also plan on going back to hunt with Marius in the future and am going to be taking my wife with me. KMG is a first class outfit and I highly recommend them every chance I get.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for taking the time to do the write up Bruce!

Those warning shots.... smile

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.