-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That has to be the gayest/lamest thing I've ever watched. The whole deal felt staged.

Some things that jumped out at me were:

1. The background where he supposedly shot from looked far different from the dead elk pics.
2. What's with the hat? That just looked dumb...
3. I like how he says, "This is the biggest bull I've ever taken" All before he supposedly shoots!
4. In the still pics at the end it looks like a field of some sort in the background. Not Wyoming wildernessy anyway...

What was the whistle sounding thing in the background during the vid?

That guy deserves all the bad that comes his way.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this guy some kind of celebrity hunter?

With the stupid hat, I got the impression he was a spokesman for whatever brand he had perched on his head. Seriously, who would where a hat like that hunting unless they were expecting some sort of payment?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've never hunted with Drum (my loss), but I have met him a few times face to face, and can vouch for his character and knowledge. He is first rate, no BS.

No doubt.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly, I couldn't care at all, in any way, if the guy took the bull in a 6x6' high fenced pen, or if it was a complete open wilderness where he had to find/track/kill it over 500 square miles, all by himself over 4 months time. I just don't care about how good a hunter anyone else is, as it doesn't affect my life in any way.

That said, while there are many discrepancies in the video, I still don't know if the guy was high-fence hunting, and lying about taking it in open wilderness ... or if he was legit. Despite the discrepancies, here's why I think that:

1. The video portions were obviously pieced together, but this could have been an amateur attempt to create what appeared to be a real-time documentary of the hunt. But if he was alone originally on the hunt, he would have had to go back with someone working a camera and re-trace his steps, and do his best to create a video that supposedly chronicled the original hunt.

2. as evidenced by the change from orange under-shirt to black under-shirt, it would appear that something is "wrong". But who knows? Maybe he was doing what I described in item 1 above, and just changed shirts or whatever between the time one part was filmed, and the next.

3. I listened a few times, and I can't tell for sure if he says "this is the biggest bull I've ever taken" or "this'll be the biggest bull I've ever taken". And even if he does say the former, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he fully figures he's going to be able to get it. Also, if he DID film this post-hunt to re-create it, then the slip-up is somewhat understandable.

someone else mentioned wanting to see both ears to make sure if there was or was not a tag in one ear. In the video, you see both ears, and unless the tag was attached to the very tip of the right ear, there doesn't appear to be a tag. Then again, I can only assume that the tags are removable, and could have been removed for the pictures.

truly, again, IDGAF if he really hunted it, or high-fenced it, or made the vid in real time, or re-created it. I'm just posing some possibilities to explain how these discrepancies may have come about.

EDIT TO ADD:

One other thing I noticed while watching was that right before the shot, he looks like he had a decent amount of stubble on the higher parts of his cheeks above the main part of his beard. After the shot, when the shirt was changed as well, it looked like he'd shaved that morning/day, and his upper cheeks above the main beard part were pretty clean. Not really able to tell for sure though, as lighting and video compression can make that stuff look different than it really is.

that just another thing that makes me thing that the video was done post-hunt to just try to re-create and document the hunt - whether it was legit open country, or fenced.

Last edited by WGM; 01/16/16.

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You won't find me on Facebook

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The 24HC is my social media I guess. No Facebook or any of that crap.

Social media can make road hunters look impressive.

Most great hunters that I know do not look for notoriety at all, they kill big stuff for their own reasons none of which is proving a damn thing to anyone else.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Our DC chapter of Safari Club International has a Facebook page. We only post veterans activities, donations to Hunters For The Hungry, programs for wildlife education, & other non-hunting activities. Despite this we received angry phone calls & emails over the recent lion(Cecil) kill. Our chapter president even received a death threat. We never post trophies or hunting articles.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Lonny
That has to be the gayest/lamest thing I've ever watched. The whole deal felt staged.

Some things that jumped out at me were:

1. The background where he supposedly shot from looked far different from the dead elk pics.
2. What's with the hat? That just looked dumb...
3. I like how he says, "This is the biggest bull I've ever taken" All before he supposedly shoots!
4. In the still pics at the end it looks like a field of some sort in the background. Not Wyoming wildernessy anyway...

What was the whistle sounding thing in the background during the vid?

That guy deserves all the bad that comes his way.

Also, he has two used cartridge shells in his rifle stock holder - look, the primers have been shot. Yet, he is hunting on day two of the opener, in the wilderness...???WTF??!!!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Another sad state of affairs and just more evidence of the instant gratification society we live in. I've reeled way back on FB, I've just tired of the discord.

I have zero respect for 90% of the outdoor shows/websites, etc. because I know many, many outdoorsmen who run circles around them. Many here do for sure. We just don't all gave trust funds or bank rolls. smile

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate the kind words guys and I promise thats not what I was trolling for. Its just frustrating to see guys that have no business hunting by themselves because they lack of any kind of common sense go on to have thousands of "followers" on social media. Social media is a narcissists wet dream and these guys have found that you can be anything you want to be on the internet and they go crazy

Perception is not reality and its a shame to see the sport head in this direction.

Geedub, I'll call soon so we can make plans for this year. We aren't done yet, I still owe you my friend...

Drummond

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want some interesting reading look at the comment section and see who replied. Reminds me a bit of the campfire, lol.

http://blog.eastmans.com/up-a-creek-400-deep/

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread. I bailed out of Facebook. Somebody started an imposter Facebook account with my name, birthday, cell phone number etc. Apparently they do that to harvest contact info from my acquaintances who click on my FB account. I started getting a dozen text messages a day from Facebook on my cell phone. It took some doing but FB shut it down. I had started my own FB account a few years ago due to my kids bugging me to, but I rarely looked at it and never posted on it. I shut that one down also.

My son and grandson each killed a record book bull elk this Fall and the only FB info is minimal comments from others. A lot of hunters in their small town are trying to find out where they hunt and they prefer low profile rather than bragging!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in my 50s, come from deep roots in a hunting family, and none were professional pitch men having commercial motivations. But, we've been close to some, past and present, who made a living out of doing so, and who even at times, not only published articles, but also had their own sponsored hunting and fishing shows. Two of those were closer to my father, and were actually kinda like my childhood heroes. Not only did I love to watch their shows, much of which involved hunting and fishing in areas familiar to me, but these "celebrity hero's" were unlike my childhood fantasy hero, superman, they were actually real people, who being family friend's, proved themselves over and over again as being stalwart promoters of hunting and fishing, vs promoters of themselves, their names, or their brands. This is difficult to find today, as most I see now are only loyal to those, who at the time, cut the sponsored checks, and therefore, that person becomes a traveling pitchman/soapbox roadshow, driven to market and to promote themselves for the highest bidder, vs to promote hunting and fishing. Now it seems these guys are more like a "Ricky Bobby" sideshow than the real deal.

So now, I look at these guys along the lines like my childhood superman, an actor, an act, someone having something to sell, a NASCAR sideshow. It is very hard to find the real deal today, and likely, you'd not find such on Instagram or Facebook.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,461 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.