Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, I find myself at a bit of an empass in my quest for firearms. I figure y'all might give me some help. Let me explain.

I started buying firearms over 35 years ago. I have never been a big fan of buying just to be buying, and I have never sold one. Once in a while I see something I "just gotta have." However, mostly I buy things that fit some perceived need. I hunt deer and turkey mostly. I get out and do a little squirrel and coyote as well. I'm somewhat over-subscribed on deer rifles, and I have everything I need for everything else. I have a nice rack of 22's for plinking.

The problem is that I have an itch to buy, and I just can't find anything I really need, or for that matter want. Take deer rifles as an example. I can now shoot a deer with any of about 9 chamberings. In 30-06, I have a whole closet full. My last purchase was a Ruger Hawkeye in '06, and I swore it would be my last. If I wanted to, I could hunt with a different rifle every day and not have to repeat until the second week.

This is not the first time this has happened. Back in 2003, y'all pointed me towards a Savage 99. It is still my favorite deer rifle. In 2006, y'all suggested a Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. It's bagged more deer than any other rifle at camp over the past 10 years. Last winter I had a similar problem, but I found an answer that at least helped me a little: I started casting bullets. That was fun while it lasted.

So what's next?

Here are some current thoughts in no particular order

1) a .223 REM bolt gun that I work into a real tack driver.
2) I don't own a 12 SXS. Most of the time I would use it for squirrel or turkey, but I'd like to get out bird hunting again before I die. I'd like one that takes choke tubes.
3) I an enamoured of the Browning BLR, especially the stainless. I've thought that 7mm-08 might be a good choice.
4) 375 WIN is one of the chamberings allowed under Ohio's new deer hunting regs. However, I have not hunted Ohio in over a decade.
5) 44 Mag is allowed too. I keep trying to think of a reason to buy a ruger semi or a Ruger or Marlin lever.
6) I have a basket-case Rem 742 in '06 that I've been thinking of sending to Ahlman's for a pump conversion, but I have so many 30-06's and I have a nice pump in 35 Whelen.
7) I have a basket-case 8mm Mauser that needs work. #1 problem is that the scope mount is boogered. I'm scared to put any more into this thing.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
How about a single shot 38-55 that you can cast bullets for, duplicate .375 ballistics if you want to, and kill a deer in the second week so you don't have to duplicate for one more day, and you can shoot cowboy bench-rest with it if you want? Easy shooting, accurate, and doesn't take much powder, can load it ranging from squirrel rifle to deer thumper. I'm having a Marlin .30-30 re-bored as we speak, but I could go for one of the rare Ruger #1S, or even a little sharps. Just my $.02.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like numbers one and two, though I don't currently own a sxs shotgun, I've always heard a 16 is perfection in proportion.

I'd go 16, or a 28? I just like stuff a little different...

Before I read old70's reply, a vintage 1885 in an obscure caliber to shoot cast bullets went through my mind as well smile
Or a 64 or 71 winchester.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you're casting bullets, you might try one of the old Savage/Stevens bolt action 30-30s plus a Williams peep sight. With gas checks and 170 grain bullets, it's accurate, fun to shoot a CHEAP. You do have to feed round nose bullets manually.

The lever action pistol chamberings are also a blast to shoot. Locally, we get bullets for $.06, so you can shoot a 44 Mag darn near as cheaply as you can shoot a 22.

If you've got a range with a steel plate rack, a basic 9mm handgun can be a whole lot of fun.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A wife.

You have too much time, money and control over both. A wife will fix all that for you. grin

IC B2

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I have KYHillChick and she feeds the addiction.

[Linked Image]

That's her with "God's Will," a Savage 30-06 I bought her after she had a dream that God wanted her to be able to shoot at a distance. That day we were picking off milk jugs at 450 yards.

Y'all are giving me good ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
in your situation, I'd start looking for good stainless revolvers. A nice S&W 686 comes to mind

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go for #1 on the list, everybody needs one of those.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What are choke tubes? A guy ought to have a 1 1/2 frame Parker S/S 12ga to accompany him in the hills...lots of history go with the American side by sides and good books on each.

Speaking of 35s, had a lot of fun with a Model 81...:)

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd go for #1 on the list, everybody needs one of those.

This!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shaman,

A fast twist .223 in the 7.5lb range (scoped) is VERY tought to beat.

A Ruger 77/44 could be full UBE. Have it suppressed, and you'll probably die happier than if you hadn't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look for a target shooting club or hunting club that interests you.

Discover some event or helping run one from marks men ship competition to helping with the juniors team.

Here is just one of the events at a club I have been a member of for a very long time.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you chose the SxS shotgun, be sure it fits you. I own two brands, Beretta and CZ. The Beretta shot high, the CZ's shoot low and left. The Beretta was fixed by adding a false rib to the concave rib between the barrels. It's now good on pheasants. The CZ's should have some kind of pad added to the comb, but currently I "cheek" the stock with my upper jaw instead of my cheek. It works most of the time.

shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You all are bringing up good points.

Question:

Which 223? The first one that pops in my head is a Ruger American.

The bolt 30-30 has been one I've been toying with for over a decade. I think the only thing that stops me is the bad luck I've had with 30 WCF in the past. Savage 340's are still good?

I'm intrigued by the Ruger 77/44. Would you all suggest that over one of the older semi's or levers? I like the Marlins and the Rugers.

Shotguns: Yeah,I really don't know where to get fitted for one. I had a heck of a time, early on, with my Rem 1100. I finally got it pointing where it needed to go. I may hold off on that for now.

Stainless handguns are another good idea. I sometimes think a Ruger Super Redhawk would be cool to own. I have a Super Blackhawk.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ah...I see you have chosen wisely and found one who shares your passions. Good move!

Why don't you buy something in the gun line for her? You'll certainly get to do all the fun thinking and workups that go with a new toy and you'll reinforce her love of guns and the outdoors.

Otherwise, I like the suggestion for a SxS shotgun. I suggest Francottes as the 'Knockabouts' are fairly reasonable on the used market....

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I like the Ruger 77/44 idea. They are light weight, have a detachable rotary magazine, you have the option of open sights or mounting a scope, and you can easily upgrade the trigger with a kit from Volquartzen. I also find them to be easier to load/unload than a lever action. I have owned both the 77/44 and the 1894 Marlin and I liked the 77/44 better (my 1894 was one of the dreaded "Remlins").

Another suggestion I haven't seen yet is one variation or another of the Ruger Single Six. This is one of my favorite handguns and it would make a nice companion for your Blackhawk.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Shaman,

You told us you already have all the rifles and shotguns you really need.

But you have only mentioned one handgun.

You need to meet RJM who hangs out on the handguns forum. He has lead a few of us to the dark side. GRINS He is a great proponent of the 41 magnum.

I also am a fan of the less popular cartridges. I have been having a lot of fun exploring the capabilities of the 41 mag. I started casting for the 41. I cast 175, 210, and 255 gr bullets in 41 cal. I load 165's as light as 650 fps, or 255's as high as 1350 fps from a SBH bisley hunter model.

I have a very modest collection, about a half dozen centerfire rifles, a 12 ga pump, 20 ga pump, a few rimfires for the grand kids, and a half dozen revolvers.

Of this tiny collection, five are 41 mags. And there are a couple 327 mag revolvers. One of the 41's is an 1894 Marlin with a Williams aperture sight.

I understand Henry is now making a fine steel frame lever in 357, 41, 44, and 45 LC. And the Redhawk is once again available in 41.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I like the Ruger 77/44 idea. They are light weight, have a detachable rotary magazine, you have the option of open sights or mounting a scope, and you can easily upgrade the trigger with a kit from Volquartzen. I also find them to be easier to load/unload than a lever action. I have owned both the 77/44 and the 1894 Marlin and I liked the 77/44 better (my 1894 was one of the dreaded "Remlins").

Another suggestion I haven't seen yet is one variation or another of the Ruger Single Six. This is one of my favorite handguns and it would make a nice companion for your Blackhawk.

The Single Seven in 327 mag has been a lot of fun. Mine is 4.625 inches. A 78 gr Lasercast over 3 gr of Universal shoots about like a 22 magnum. My eight year old grand sons absolutely love it. Or a 115 gold dot over 13 gr H110 is only slightly shamed by the 357. I also shoot these in the new 4.2 inch SP 101.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
shaman,

You need a B-29. Either that or a 24-gauge side-by-side.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How about a Colt Diamondback?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.