Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
a couple friends of mine and I would like to come hunt in PA. we would like to spend a week or maybe even just a long weekend, during deer gun season.

tell me about some good places to start. we would be willing to pay to stay at someone's camp or just hunt public land, have not gotten very far on planning and still open to ideas.

I might even let Efw come too, if he promises not to drive his prius. smile

let me know what you guys think about where/how, etc

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd suggest Washington and Green Counties in the SW corner. I lived and hunted down that way alot in the 1990's, early 2000's. I spent most of my time in/around Claysville. There is a big state gamelands south of Claysville (SGL 245). A path bisects the whole gamelands in a "L" shape. There used to be several bazilion deer on the GL because its surrounded by farm fields and is big enough for deer to escape the masses. Be a bit careful on shooting one in the center some where. I've done it a bunch of times and the drag out sucks.

If you want more of a big woods flavor, just about any of the state/federal property in the middle part of the State will work. The deer density is much lower - much lower. I'd also suggest the bigger gameleands in Crawford and Erie Counties. Crawford and Erie counties are farm country and grow big deer. I'd look at SGL 270, 214, 101, and around Pymatunin Lake. I've personally hunted all these areas and have killed deer and turkeys.

The other option is to start this summer and knock on a few doors. You can still gain access to hunt private property by simply being polite and considerate.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: I wouldn't bear Buckeye Gear when visiting.... <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
ok. that's a good start. I think sgl245 sounds like what we are looking for.

a ton of hunters there? any laws that aren't normal, run of the mill type? here in ohio we have an either sex tag but can only shoot one buck in my county, then can get another tag but it has to be a doe.

how long is your rifle season? do muzzleloaders have to be flintlock?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle season is two weeks beginning the Monday after Thanksgiving. The after Christmas muzzleloader hunt is flintlock only.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to say this, because I was born and raised in PA.....

Don't waste your time, unless you have access to private land.

I've hunted in PA. since 1969, when I turned 12.

My brother and I gave up gun hunting there around 2004. Just wasn't worth fighting the crowds for a week, and not seeing deer.

That is not to say you can't have a good time at a camp, as we did. We have a camp in Pike co., on state game land. Woods are mature, and the deer have moved out due to lack of food.

It sucks, because the state does nothing to improve the habitat.

Anyway, good luck in your search.

If you find something let me know, I may join you.... Lol

Tony

PS...I just saw you are from Ohio, that is where we went to hunt starting in 2004.....

Last edited by hicountry; 02/03/16.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I grew up in Washington County.In the 50's there were no deer there,but in the 80's & 90's they were every where. My brother still lives there, but he tells me a lot of locals go to Ohio now to hunt. Of you can find a farm that would let you hunt you might do OK,but State Game lands are a sea of orange.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No offense, but I can't understand paying out of state fees and travel to hunt the same critters I could hunt at home, and especially in a state like PA.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Can use rifles in PA so it's a novelty for us

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Allegheny National Forest has clear cuts all thru it and there are some hogs living in them. Not a lot of Deer, but more than in the recent past. Motels open up after the first two days in many of the towns. Restaurants to eat in.

Hunted a couple Game Lands this year in Armstrong starting the third day and I saw somewhere around 10 hunters total during Wed thru Friday's. Definitely no sea of orange.

Saw sign of a couple big bucks. One huge rub and a scrape close by you could have easily curled up in. Found this one on a GL that someone had hit, but didn't drag out.
Shot too far back.

[Linked Image]

Pick your place and there will be Deer. Saw 81 total in two weeks. 31 the first day, but that would have been on private land. 7 Bucks, two nice ones that beat me, one small legal that I passed on and the others not legal.

Last edited by battue; 02/03/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Understood, but you can use rifles on other critters not found in OH and still pay a non-resident fee. What's the non-res license in PA for shooting the same kind of deer you shoot in OH?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Like a hundred bucks I think. Not much. And it's a change in scenery and a small adventure to try out. I am certain to see more deer than I saw this year which was zero

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bud pulled this one out of the ANF.

[Linked Image]

Addition: You no longer come to Pa to just shoot a Deer. However, you do come to hunt Deer. Up to what you are looking for in a hunt.

Last edited by battue; 02/03/16.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There are lots of opportunities and plenty of various seasons. There is an early muzzleloader season that allows any muzzleloader and optic sights. Plenty of archery opportunities.

Some areas have been hunted hard and deer can be scarce but there are plenty of other areas with deer. I've hunted one of the gamelands here in Somerset, only saw a couple of hunters and saw plenty of deer sign.

Pa. has some great public access programs to private land, there's info on the Game Commission website.

The Special Regs areas (Pittsburgh/Philly) have some different rules and there are 3 Disease Mgmt. Areas with rules about carcass removal but there in the central and eastern part of the state.

Some units sell out of Doe tags before non residents can apply. Don't forget, your general license is good all year and includes spring/fall turkey, a buck, and small game. Bear is extra.

Hope this helps,

Dale

This space for rent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nonresident Adult Hunting License ($101.70): Issued to nonresidents of Pennsylvania (from any state or nation) who are age 17 and older.

Nonresident Junior Hunting License ($41.70): Issued to nonresidents of Pennsylvania (from any state or nation) who are ages 12 through 16. Eleven-year-olds may apply for a junior license if they reach age 12 by June 30 of the current license year and have successfully completed the required Hunter-Trapper Education Course. The actual hunting privileges granted to the junior license holder may not be exercised until he or she reaches age 12. In addition to the junior applicant's signature, a parent or guardian must sign the license to validate it and the information provided before the junior license holder goes afield. No archery, muzzleloader or furtaker add-on privileges are available for this license. If a junior wants any of these privileges, they must purchase a Junior Nonresident Combination License.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a bad deal, honestly.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
You can use rifles in OH now,I just picked up a .444 Marlin for such an occasion

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd find a WMU where you can get a doe tag as a non-resident. My farm and camp are both in 1B and it is nearly impossible to get a doe tag in 1B unless your a resident. Now with the staggered start, split doe/buck season, your probably best served hunting from Wednesday after opening day through the next Wednesday with both doe and buck tags in hand.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
but I don't own a 99 or any red plaid. dammit!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.