Print Thread
Hop To
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I started a thread on good and bad PHs, and I thought it only fitting to start a discussion on good clients and bad clients.

Based upon conversations with PHs and articles and books I have read, some clients are a real PITA and some become like family members or close friends.

PHs seem to like clients that are honest about their shooting and hunting abilities and disabilities.

They like clients that are familiar with their rifles and can shoot accurately under field conditions, and above all, are safe to be around.

They like clients that can get up at 4:00 am and hunt until dark without being grumpy.

They like clients that are in good enough physical condition to meet the demands of the hunt.

They basically like clients that are easy-going, serious about hunting, and are fun to be around.

Stories I have heard of bad clients include.

Clients who are just plain unsafe to be around with when carrying a loaded gun.

Clients who are unfamiliar with, or afraid to shoot their guns.

Clients who just can't shoot worth a darn.

Clients who brag non-stop, yet never seem to function when in pressure situations.

Clients who drink too much and wake up with hangovers.

Clients who complain about the weather, the food, the accommodations.

Clients who refuse to shoot the animal after being given a reasonably good opportunity.

Clients who want the PH to shoot the game (especially DG) for them.

Clients who are obsessed with getting a record-book trophy and get upset when the animal they shot is an inch or two short of what they expected.

Clients who hunt dangerous game and either have a severe case of "buck fever" or chicken out entirely when it comes to the moment of truth.

Some of the PHs I have hunted with have told some really interesting stories about some of their clients.

One guy told me about a couple of Columbian drug lords he had as clients on an elephant hunt. The guys had brought in vast quantities of food and alcohol, and even had brought in two or three Columbian hookers.

Every night turned into a wild party (for the clients, as the PH, who was married demurely declined) including music and nude dancing girls, gourmet food, expensive wines, and Cuban cigars.

Another PH told me of tracking a large bull elephant for miles day after day, and when he finally got the client set up for the shot; the client refused, saying he couldn't see the elephant and wanted the PH to shoot it for him (which the PH did - but he told me he lost all respect for the client after that).

Then there was the client who shot an elephant after the PH specifically told him not to shoot, since that elephant wasn't carrying enough ivory to be worthwhile. After the elephant was down, the client started complaining that the elephant wasn't as big as he thought and he wanted to shoot another. The outfitter obliged, but the client was forced to pay for another 14-day hunt on top of the additional trophy fee.

I could go on, but I'm sure others on this forum have some interesting stories to tell about good clients and bad.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 02/03/16.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My conversation with PHs I have met - one who is now a good friend after several hunts - leads me to believe that most Americans who get to Africa are above average shots, while many Europeans are not. He has encountered a few exceptions in both directions but seems like a pretty good rule of thumb, based on his experience.

Also understand that there are other well heeled 'hunters' from different countries, who have been known to pull similar stunts to the one you describe involving the Colombians.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 02/03/16.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
All this high school gossip is getting a bit old...

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just remembered something I read about a well-heeled client, who after having shot a lion at about 80 yards, ran up to the dead lion and started slashing his arms with his hunting knife. The PH ran up and tried to stem the flow of blood, but the client insisted the PH snap a few photos of him standing over the lion "that had mauled him" before he would let the PH administer any first aid.

Another strange story, involved an elderly client who killed a nice elephant, and died from a heart attack almost immediately after firing his rifle.

The PH, was said to have had this happen once before, and wondered if there was a connection between the heavy recoil and the heart attacks.

Wildcater264:

As far as American hunters, I've read that many PHs dislike the tendency of many American hunters to shoot and then wait (it was referred to as "admiring their shot"), rather than quickly following up with another shot.

I know I am guilty of that to a certain degree. I hate the "shoot 'em" mentality that some hunters exhibit.

agazain:

Then don't read the thread! Duh!

(Reminds me of the story of an elderly woman who complained to the police about the neighbors leaving their blinds open at night while they made love. The policeman noted that the house was well over 100 yards away, and the old woman pointed out how she could see everything perfectly with her 10 power binoculars!)

BH63

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I remember another incident where a client stole (took without permission), a hunting video the outfitter was making that included a couple of the clients stalks, along with those of several other clients.

And then there was the "trophy" picture a client had them take showing him with a bloated elephant carcass. The elephant had been wounded and lost for quite some time, and the thing looked like a Macy's day parade float, all swollen up, with its legs sticking straight out and perpendicular to the ground. The carcass was cover with huge quantities of vulture droppings, and the smell had to be horrible.

Whatever possessed that man to think that would make a suitable photo of his hunt is beyond me.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 02/05/16.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In a general sort of way the big problems with clients are drunks, bullshitters/braggards, complainers, poor physical condition, people who can't shoot and crooks. Just to make it interesting add the dynamic of who's running the show. That's a balancing act in itself.

In the height of irony, the list for problem PHs, guides and outfitters is practically identical. You can add poor equipment, but that is sort of covered by bullshitters and crooks.

edit I can't believe I forget unsafe gun handling from either side.

Last edited by Model70Guy; 02/05/16.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's an unfortunate coincidence that clients, outfitters and PHs are all humans. That's the real root of the problem.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
There is truth in what you say, but some people seem to be more "human" than others (not a compliment).

I read somewhere that even good people occasionally give in to temptation and do bad things, but some people make doing bad things a lifestyle and a personal choice.

To me that is a big difference.

BH63

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some are too human, others aren't human enough. For some, amphibian is a lofty goal. But enough about outfitters.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
^
Actually this is about their clients.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess over the years I have been extremely fortunate to have hunted with professional hunters that did not feel the need to disparage other hunters for the their personal enjoyment or to make me feel better about myself.

Sitting around the campfire there are many pleasant things to talk about, the least of which is the perceived shortcomings of a client. It is just poor taste.

A good attitude and enjoying the entire experience of wild Africa is what I would say makes a good client.

B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have found that PHs often tell stories about some of the "interesting" clients they have entertained when talking among themselves. It is just "shop talk". The stories are most often told in a humorous mindset.

If you get past the PH/Client relationship, they will sometimes include you in these discussions. It is not meant to be anything more than an entertaining look at the client/PH experiences.

In my experiences real names are never used, just something along the lines of "I once had a German client who ....".

I'm sure one of my PHs sometimes tells the story of how he headbutted a client, who almost got in a fight in a club in Bulawayo, because some local guy (very drunk) came up and started hugging him in a rather intimate manner. The client shoved the drunk away and came very close to smashing him in the face with an elbow strike.

That client was me of course. All in fun!

BH63

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BH63

If you get past the PH/Client relationship, they will sometimes include you in these discussions. It is not meant to be anything more than an entertaining look at the client/PH experiences.

BH63

Obviously aimed at me because of my previous post. I guess you come as a client and leave as a friend.

BTW I have hunted Zim, Moz, Zambia, and Tanzania 8 times with the longest trip being a month and a total of over a hundred days in the field. So I can assure you I understand the PH/Client relationship very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The PH's I know that cover RSA, Zim, Zambia, Tanz, CAR, and Cameroon love most American's. As a rule, undemanding in camp, good shots, and camp company. Europeans are either stellar, or pompous pains in the butts complaining about everything from the food to lack of prostitutes. True story.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I guess over the years I have been extremely fortunate to have hunted with professional hunters that did not feel the need to disparage other hunters for the their personal enjoyment or to make me feel better about myself.

Sitting around the campfire there are many pleasant things to talk about, the least of which is the perceived shortcomings of a client. It is just poor taste.

A good attitude and enjoying the entire experience of wild Africa is what I would say makes a good client.

This forum needs one of those "like" buttons.

My experience also.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
The PH's I know that cover RSA, Aim, Zambia, Tanz, CAR, and Cameroon love most American's. As a rule, undemanding in camp, good shots, and camp company. Europeans are either stellar, or pompous pains in the butts complaining about everything from the food to lack of prostitutes. True story.

Almost exactly as described to me, with both SA and Namibian outfitters.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you're American do you really think you're going to be regaled with stories of your countrymen that screwed up? Or that a PH is going to tell a German that he doesn't like Germans? Likewise Spaniards, Columbians and so on. Don't worry, American bashing is alive and well, and which batch of stories you hear depends on who's paying the bill.

Guides who like to talk about the clients don't play favorites.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since several of the PH's are close friends, and market preferntially in America over Europe after doing both for years, yes I believe them. I believe them even more when that is the answer to my question why they don't market more in Europe anymore?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
People who work for tips quickly learn which side their bread is buttered on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too cynical for for me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.