Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'd say a leupy 6x36 or swaro Z3 3-9x36, I've been very happy with both those scopes.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you don't want to spin turrets Leupold fixed 6. If you want to play with turrets I'd go Nightforce,

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was thinking a 6x42 Leupie went 11oz.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you want turrets, go with the Swaro 3.5x10 z3.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by WRO
If you want turrets, go with the Swaro 3.5x10 z3.

Wrong answer....

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I believe light rifles need light scopes. Not just to keep the total weight low - the reason most of us build light rifles in the first place - but also to solve the problem of heavy scopes and their mounts getting battered by recoil velocity.

A light for caliber rifle has low inertia and moves rapidly under recoil forces. A heavy scope mounted on such a rifle tends to resist the recoil forces due to higher inertia, causing significant sheer forces on the mounting screws and the scope's components, as well.

A Leupold VX3i ( or earlier version) 2.5-8x36 weighs about 11.5 ounces. I've found this power range on my 270s, and similar class rifles, to be enough magnification for my hunting. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you want a sub 12-13 ounce scope on any rifle, you better be a road hunter, someone who does nothing but hunt thick stuff, be a Kentucky windage kind of dude who hasn't moved on with the times, or suffer a fixed reticle for holdover because there is nothing reliable for dialing in that weight class.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Pre 64 M70 I put 22" #1 taper Chrome Moly Pac Nor 270 barrel and Borden Rimrock stock on it.
With a 9.9 ounce Leupold 2x7x33 and Stoney point turret, and Butler Creek stretchy sling, it weighs 8.0 pounds.

With wimpy loads, 130 gr 2875 fps I get the accuracy.I have killed deer to 510 yards with it, but most were between 400 and 500.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
I would definately consider the Vortex Viper 3x9x40.

Very clear and good eye relief. I really like the power ring adjustments.

Disagree. Eye relief adequate at best, and not enough for me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by GregW
If you want a sub 12-13 ounce scope on any rifle, you better be a road hunter, someone who does nothing but hunt thick stuff, be a Kentucky windage kind of dude who hasn't moved on with the times, or suffer a fixed reticle for holdover because there is nothing reliable for dialing in that weight class.

Wow. You must think you're the center of the universe smile

I took the long range shooting course at Gunsite Academy and with a Vx3 2.5x8 can shoot very far; this said, I believe that the only way to hunt is to hunt fair chase and to move in close.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M8 6x42 M1. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I'm probably the only person that uses one though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It may just be me, but I need a scope with more mounting latitude than the Swaro Z3 and Leu 2.5-8 on the long action 700. (Assuming standard 270). There is quite a bit of space between the bridges... For those two scopes wearing some layers, I have to drop my LOP down around 13" for quick instinctive shots. That doesn't do much for resale...

I like the 3-9x40 VX2 with dotz on my TI 280AI. It is very a very light scope and only weighs about an ounce more than a 6x36. Personally I am not a long-range hunter, but prefer to hunt up to critter. So it makes little sense to me to saddle a build designated as a true lightweight with a lot of glass. The batteries and tech go on other builds.

Two scopes with a little more mounting latitude are the VX3 3.5-10, slightly heavier, and do like the "older" 3-9x42 1" VM/V--but it is dang near 16oz. The Conquest 3-9x40 had/has the same dimensions as the VM/V, great for long actions, and Zeiss plex reticle is tough to beat...

On hunts in high country the bino gets the consideration for carrying a little xtra weight.

fwiw...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have a Leupold 6x36 LRD on my "light weight" .270 Win at the moment (6lbs, 15oz all up). Unfortunately, the LRD's are not so clear for my aging eyes in low light. Just sent a 6x36 with Wide Duplex to Leupold Custom Shop to get a CDS elevation turret installed. The CDS will replace the LRD's when it returns. I'll just have to deal with the extra half ounce of weight.

I've always thought the 6x36 LRD with a CDS is a great idea, and have contemplated doing the same for a long time. Indeed, in very low light the dots are tough to pick up. At the same time, dots are absolutely faster, while dials more precise.

Really, can't see how the LRD/CDS setup in a fixed scope isn't a win/win. Choices...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can find one, a Kahles CL with Multizero will check a bunch of your boxes. They are pretty light and have side focus. I have owned a 3x9x40 Trijicon and it was a nice lightweight scope. No AO or elevation turret on the Trijicon. Similar weight to Leupold and better glass to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Originally Posted by GregW

Wow. You must think you're the center of the universe smile

I took the long range shooting course at Gunsite Academy and with a Vx3 2.5x8 can shoot very far; this said, I believe that the only way to hunt is to hunt fair chase and to move in close.

Just trying to save you some time but based on this thread alone that ain't gonna happen.

Congrats on taking a course?

Carry on with your thinking that hunting has to fit into a box. I love tag burners.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well I'm needing the same question answered. I am putting together a Pierce TI receiver, Shilen #2 barrel, Brown Precision custom made Kevlar stock, with lightweight Talleys that are one piece with the base. I can shorten the distance between the rings by just reversing them. I have several scopes, but they are old. A M8-6X.A 2.5X8 Leupold VX111, or a few 3X9 Zeiss or Swarovski 3X9.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Brad
I've always thought the 6x36 LRD with a CDS is a great idea, and have contemplated doing the same for a long time. Indeed, in very low light the dots are tough to pick up. At the same time, dots are absolutely faster, while dials more precise...

The reason for going with the CDS and Wide Duplex is "my perception" that the fine wires of the Wide Duplex reticle are a little bit thicker than the fine wires of the Standard Duplex. Easier for me to pick up. Again, just my perception.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have a Leupold 6x36 LRD on my "light weight" .270 Win at the moment (6lbs, 15oz all up). Unfortunately, the LRD's are not so clear for my aging eyes in low light. Just sent a 6x36 with Wide Duplex to Leupold Custom Shop to get a CDS elevation turret installed. The CDS will replace the LRD's when it returns. I'll just have to deal with the extra half ounce of weight.

I've always thought the 6x36 LRD with a CDS is a great idea, and have contemplated doing the same for a long time. Indeed, in very low light the dots are tough to pick up. At the same time, dots are absolutely faster, while dials more precise.

Really, can't see how the LRD/CDS setup in a fixed scope isn't a win/win. Choices...

Brad : This Intrigues me !

How would this be sighted in ?
How would the Dots align with that sight in .

Is this CDS calibrated in MOA or Yards given a trajectory
270/130 with BC MV defined and altitude etc.

Thanks

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Between the dots and the bottom post of the 6x36 LR, the 270-130 will get you to a bit over 500 yards.

Shoot to confirm.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
My current shoot'n rig is a Mod.70 with a #2 24" Krieger, a Brown Precision stock, a Leupold 3x10 with a turret to match my favorite .280AI load. I have had no issues with the scope at all. At my range we have plates out to 700 yards and if steel plates could run and hide they would. If the wind isn't blowing too hard the 700yd plate is in real danger. But here's the thing, all of my last dozen or so kills of cud chewers have been at less than 300yards or so. However, I'm ready to spin dials just in case. BTW I also use a Leupold 6X with dots on a similar rig and I like it too.

Last edited by super T; 02/06/16.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.