Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Help me out here. In every description of the various versions of ladder and OCW load development methods I have seen, conventional wisdom says to ignore any horizontal distribution and attribute it to wind. We all know barrels oscillate upon firing but what law of physics makes them only oscillate in the vertical axis? Why don't they oscillate in the horizontal axis too? Or in a combination of vertical and horizontal axis? And, if that is the case, why are we ignoring the horizontal dispersion in ladder and OCW type load development?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a good question. It would be hard to ignore much horizontal on a calm day. I've heard the same...let's see if anybody has anything on this.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been saying this for years personally...

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam
Been saying this for years personally...

Since you are glued to the hunnert' yard line, you can ignore both smile

Dave

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ok, mr sniper...

And it's 50, not 100...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you are shooting a long range 600 yard Audette, there are slight changes in wind between shots that may cause some horizontal. You pick the loads in the node based on vertical

Then generally all of the loads in the node are tested to determine which one shoots best. If there is horizontal at 100, there's something wrong

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When you are shooting a long range 600 yard Audette, there are slight changes in wind between shots that may cause some horizontal.

Agreed, but is horizontal never caused by barrel harmonics?

You pick the loads in the node based on vertical

Why only vertical?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Why only vertical?

John

Because inconsistencies in ignition and wide velocity spreads will result in vertical dispersion at real distance.

that's what's been explained to me. I'm sure Rick will correct me if mistaken. I'm not a match shooter. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Why only vertical?

John

Because inconsistencies in ignition and wide velocity spreads will result in vertical dispersion at real distance.

that's what's been explained to me. I'm sure Rick will correct me if mistaken. I'm not a match shooter. smile

We can also determine that with a chronograph.

My point being that if it's calm (min or no wind), any large spread in horizontal should not be ignored. If it can reasonably be explained by wind, no problem.

I've seen folks just use the vertical with no regard for 4" spread at 300yds on a calm day - I don't buy ignoring that.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I also don't recall the OCW method ignoring horizontal. It's more about how insensitive group size and group center are to perturbations in charge weight.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sure you can. But i would think you'd want to see it on a target as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

You can have decent groups at 300yds that have wider velocity swings than I'd choose for my loads. I prefer a chronograph for many reasons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why only vertical?

John

Velocity spreads can cause vertical because of the position of the muzzle at bullet exit. No matter how carefully one loads his ammo, there will ALWAYS be velocity differences between shots. Therefore, finding the optimal bullet exit time will reduce vertical stringing.

This is the entire reason The Audette Method trumps all other methods.

Why only vertical?

John

My point being that if it's calm (min or no wind), any large spread in horizontal should not be ignored. If it can reasonably be explained by wind, no problem.

I've seen folks just use the vertical with no regard for 4" spread at 300yds on a calm day - I don't buy ignoring that.

Using chronograph data to choose a load will not always yield the best long range load, so that statement is incorrect.

Take a "fantasy" load that always shoots at 3000 fps. Simply because it performs the best statistically, doesn't mean it will shoot the best on paper. The exit time of the bullet could be when the barrel is moving inconsistently causing poor accuracy and vertical.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes, someone that gets it. I always go with best paper results, rather than best chrono results.

Chrono has its uses. But not for load selection.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Yes, someone that gets it. I always go with best paper results, rather than best chrono results.

Chrono has its uses. But not for load selection.

I don't know squat about this ladder stuff, but I can't imagine working up loads without a chrono.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only use one to check to see if the component combination is giving me the velocity I want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only use one to check to see if the component combination is giving me the velocity I want.

I'm not that sophisticated. I chronograph so I can read about it later. Of course I have little man syndrome so I go for the highest velocity I can get that give the accuracy I desire.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You can have decent groups at 300yds that have wider velocity swings than I'd choose for my loads. I prefer a chronograph for many reasons.

That's maybe because 300 yards isn't "long range".

No one said they don't use a chronograph. use one all the time and have been since the first one's became available. Don't you do more than one thing when you work up a load, like shoot it at distances? As in:
1) chronograph
2) shoot at distance?

What is so hard to understand?

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/04/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yes, and obviously pressures tag right along with velocity.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Even more so.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.