Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Axtell
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I'd say it isn't necessarily an either-or deal. "The sniper" no doubt killed those elk at range with the 7 mm Mag factory load mentioned by Mule deer, but as Stick implied, might have done as well with the mentioned bullet in the 7-08. It's not the head stamp.

Try to keep positive.

There are lots of options, BS/Boxer is on a schizo rant, a narrow one at that. Everything is schit except for what he has or has read about, only he shoots more than anyone, oh ya , a 6x45 at 2000 yards...........I guess he doesn't have enough 'camera' for that one to post up a picture or video of that.

I am positive but the smell of schit is mighty powerful.

The funniest thing about this thread, is what you thought Stick wrote about the 6x45.

Reading comprehension, it's a great skill to have on the internet.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Asstell,

You Squat To Pee Whining Kchunt...your STUPIDITY is fhuqking boundless! Congratulations?!?

My "trouble" is,I shoot all the chamberings cited and a whole fhuqk of a bunch that ain't yet been muttered. Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

If it helps your Imagination and it's Pretend,feel free to "convince" yourself I've never ShamWow'd or 7Remmie'd. They "might" look like this. Google for confirmation. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

It's purty black and white. Couple/few puns be intended. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now you can say you've "seen" 'em.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!....................

3rd,

Jeezus Fhuqk...now boolits matter?!?

This schit is sooooooooooo cornfusing.

Laughing!..................

'22,

Though she couldn't poor piss outta a boot,she do suck a mean ass...the "lucky" kchunt.

Bless her heart..............

smoke',

The closest she comes to "shooting" anything,is when blowing her nose and acceleratin' her Imagination...though she Pretends that fact ain't so.

Bless her heart................

Mike',

Beware the best Indian,with the best arrows.

Hint................

'85,

Pass the 250 Skinners....................

[Linked Image]

Mule Deer,

Perhaps I missed your rapier sarcasm and you were laughing too,at the notion of sucha schitty boolit...in sucha exquisite chambering and the Snipery endorsement thickly veiled them connotations?!?

Didn't think so.

Not everyone could give such great "thought",to arranging a 7mmRemMag becoming a distant second fiddle to a 22" SAAMI 7-08 and shooting same "so much",that reloading was no longer viable.

FUNNY schit!.........................

starsky,

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...it's certainly Epicer than that.................(grin)

'BR,

Great time to elaborate on how reduced cost,reduced recoil,reduced noise(not even factoring the Loudener),reduced drift,reduced trajectory,reduced weight,reduced length,reduced ES/SD,increased impact velocity,increased "energy",increased magazine capacity,increased balance/handling,increased barrel life and increased terminal affects are NOT advantages.

Hint.

Though in no particular order....................(grin)

'Hntr,

She wouldn't know a 270 launchin' 105's,unless I bothered to show her.

[Linked Image]

Now the "lucky" kchunt can say she's "seen" that chambering too.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

your STUPIDITY is fhuqking boundless! Congratulations?!?

FWIW,
I saw that in addition to Glenn Frey, Dallas Taylor passed today!

So,

So with that in mind.

Here's to you B..........

as I'm sure I've seen this post before...........

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Mule Deer what kind of rifle/scope combination does Sargent Mawhinney hunt elk with?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My best 600 yard shots are made at 100 yards...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

But the OP has a 7 SAUM. It's a good, capable cartridge even if brass is problematic.

Brass isn't so much "problematic" as it is expensive!

Midway has Norma 100ct right now for $80...
really not much at all compared to a a couple of trips to wyo from Carolina. the 7mm saum has won a lot in long range F-class. see 6mmbr.com. awesome for what the op wants.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by NWBlacktail
I'd sell both the 270 and 338 if I could keep the 7 saum. laugh

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Your 7 SAUM is the best out of those three, hands down.

Sound advice.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike-S,

I mentioned the rifle in my previous post, a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum that's taken a bunch of deer and elk. His wife bought it for him as a present in the early 1980's, because she thought it would work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used for many years previously. Chuck wasn't unhappy with the .308, but appreciated the present so started using it.

He's used a number of different scopes over the years (from what I gathered he experiments more with scopes than rifles), but when I talked to him in 2014 had a 2.5-10x Nightforce on the Ruger, the combo he used to shoot the elk at 645 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you Mule Deer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mike-S,

I mentioned the rifle in my previous post, a tang-safety Ruger 77 in 7mm Remington Magnum that's taken a bunch of deer and elk. His wife bought it for him as a present in the early 1980's, because she thought it would work better than the .308 Winchester he'd used for many years previously. Chuck wasn't unhappy with the .308, but appreciated the present so started using it.

He's used a number of different scopes over the years (from what I gathered he experiments more with scopes than rifles), but when I talked to him in 2014 had a 2.5-10x Nightforce on the Ruger, the combo he used to shoot the elk at 645 yards.

If the rifle is stainless that's like winning the Trifecta!

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only animals I've shot at over 500 yards are coyotes and the rifles I've used aren't suitable for elk at that range.

Longest on elk or other big game was a bull a couple in 2013 at 487yds with my .338WM using a 225g AB @ 2742fps.

Like you, my local range limits me to 600 yards so that is my personal limit as well. My .338WM, .300WM, 7mm RM and .280 Rem all make the cut for 600 yards given the proper loads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Practice practice practice.
1st cold shot accuracy trumps groups.

Cartridge matters the least. These threads are fun to read because of the differing opinions, but that's why we are here.

I'd sell the .270 first, then the 7saum, re-tube the .338WM and buy a better scope for the intended use. The BC's of the heavier .284's are very good, but there are lots of options.

Whatever is chosen, the above advice is very much on point.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are a few acres in the Madison Valley where the public isn't welcome any more thanks to 600 yard shots. If you're going to do it, use the most gun you can shoot consistently.

Last edited by ismith; 02/02/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If your 7 MM is twisted to shoot at least the 168 grain bullets, it's your best yield of great ballistics per unit of recoil. Even better if it will shoot a 180.

Precision and recoil are mutually exclusive ...

Presuming you are not using a brake.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all that chimed in. I am moving forward with the 7mm saum. I do have a question on bases & rings. MY .338 has Warne steel bases and Burris signature zee rings. This combo has been rock solid for me for the past 15 yrs. My .257 Roberts has Burris signature dual dovetails and that has never let me down the same length of time. The .270 I have the Talley light weights and I have had no issues. I’m open to try something else if there are better options but the Warne steel bases w/Burris Signature zee rings sure has held POI over many a flight, and being hauled in scabbards.

It seems that most long range rigs have the picatinny rails & tactical rings. I’m not sure what that would do for me over the other base & ring combo’s I have used in the past. I would love to hear what you guys run. I plan to use a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42mm with RZ800 reticle.

PASS IT ON!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Leupold DD's.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have lots of equipment that is good.
I am the problem.
Rem, Sav, Win, Browning, Ruger all good rifles.
Leupold CDS, Sightron, IOR, all good scopes.
Harris and Atlas bipods are good.
Most premium boat tail hunting bullets are good.
I like Timney triggers.
I make my own pillars and cut my own chambers.
Any $300 barrel blank is good.

[Linked Image]

The rear bag has been getting bigger every year.

But the most important thing is me practicing.
I have to spend many days shooting long range to qualify myself to shoot at game at 400, 500, or 600 yards.
I qualified for 600 in 2015 for the first time:)

Longer ranges are a challenge, but most animals I can stalk to within 400 yards at dawn.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm running a sub MOA M98 with 27 inch heavy barrel in .30-06, using 150 grain Super Performance factory loads, zeroed to 300 yards for caribou hunting. Last two were taken a minute or two apart, one at @290, the second at a ranged 433. Lung shots, using the snow machine wind screen for a rest (I forgot I had the BOG tripod with me - I have had that thing for a year and have yet to use it on an animal!). The rifle wears a Leupold VariX III 3.5 - 10

Both bullets went exactly where planned. Based on this, with the modern premium bullets available, I'd not hesitate to use the .270 if that is your preference. But if it were me doing it, I'd use my sub MOA Ruger Tang in .338WM..... smile

I see no point in 10 shot groups for a hunting rifle beyond initial wring-out. I do want to know that all 10 will go into a reasonable group - ie- barrel heating issues. My M98 is full length bedded, and it has no such issues to 5 shots. I haven't checked it beyond that. Probably should in case I get charged by a dozen or so caribou all at once.... smile

3-5 shots will tell you most everything you need to know for hunting after initial rifle/load wring-out, and you seem to be at that point already.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And no - I won't push myself beyond 600 yards, even tho the rifles are capable.

And no head shots past 100!

Last edited by las; 02/29/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A ratio that serves well...reminds me of chainsaws...

Defend the Constitution
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,038
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.