Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've shot bear with the 7RemMag 160gr Swift A frame and 338-06 with 200gr Speer (my deer load) and 210 Nosler Partition. None went over 50 yds. I try for a quartering on shoulder shot or preferable a double shoulder. Have seen many bear in camp that were shot with 308, 30-06, 35REM, 45-70, 450 Marlin but the most by one hunter with a 264 Win Mag. His only rifle and over 20 bear to his credit with two I saw over 400 lbs. As most have said it is a good bullet in the right place that gets the job done.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was somewhat surprised on my first Ontario black bear hunt. That a smallish bear took a 285 grain prvi partizan bullet delivered from a 9.3x62 through both shoulders and was able to run a short run before getting tangled in some woods. It dropped within sight though! I intend to use it again although a 308 winchester would bring home a bear just the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in PA we found adrenaline fueled "driven" bears were much tougher to anchor than Bears on natural feeding movement.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've always found black bears to be very easy to kill. Not one bit harder to kill than a whitetail. If anything, they are even more apt to drop at the shot.

You can up your odds by putting your shots through at least one shoulder and picking bullets that are more suitable for deer than a rhinoceros. Frontal chest shots, and a center chest on one standing on its hind legs will usually crumple them up. The standing upright shot is quite common when they are in oat fields.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend that killed 100+ blacks and a bunch of grizzlies from a heli preferred 12 ga Brennekes but the natives, that were butchering the bears for village food, complained about the extensive meat damage so he switched to Foster type slugs.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed one black bear, shot through the heart with a .45-70. He jumped into the air and dropped right where I shot him. Another hunter in camp shot one through the shoulder with a .338 and it ran off and was lost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
I've killed one black bear, shot through the heart with a .45-70. He jumped into the air and dropped right where I shot him. Another hunter in camp shot one through the shoulder with a .338 and it ran off and was lost.

Either a bad bullet in the .338, or he didn't hit the shoulder.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
A friend that killed 100+ blacks and a bunch of grizzlies from a heli preferred 12 ga Brennekes but the natives, that were butchering the bears for village food, complained about the extensive meat damage so he switched to Foster type slugs.

That would be good duty...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm always amazed that folks know where the bullet hit and ended up, even though they never find the animal....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the Barnes TSX (TTSX) is the bomb on bears in any deer chambering out there. If I had to choose 1 bullet for black bears (only kind we have) it would be a Barnes.

The damage that a 130 gr TTSX in .308 Win did to one of our bears was spectacular. No need for heavyweights unless you are running a medium big bore already.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm always amazed that folks know where the bullet hit and ended up, even though they never find the animal....

I didn't know the guy other than a buddy and I shared a camp with him and three other guys on a combo moose/bear hunt in Newfoundland. I wasn't there when he shot it but that was the story he told in camp that evening after he and his guide returned from looking for it. Personally, I thought the guy seemed more interested in drinking than hunting so I wasn't real surprised when he said he'd wounded and lost a bear.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My friend runs a camp in Maine, he likes hunters to use a 30 cal or larger, 180 gr or larger bullet, (not necessarily a cannon, he's fine with 308s, 35 rem, 06 and the like) and recommends no shoulder shots. However as a guide he deals with sportsman of all abilities, so guides need to give themselves a little edge since they will be the ones chasing wounded bears. Only shot one smaller one myself with a 300 weatherby that went 20 yds. Hope to chase them again this year in Maine.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by postoak

There ability to absorb and withstand vital tissue damage is beyond comprehension. I know of no American big game animal as hard to put down and keep down, and this does not exclude the might and horrendous Alaskan brown bear.

To my way of thinking, that's the reason to break shoulders.

The problem seems to be that for some a shoulder is just somewhere in the front half. It's easy to miss bone leave the bear with a nonfatal survivable injury. Even hitting the scapula can allow a bear to escape. (Art - maybe you can post your pic of a perforated scap?)

With a bear quarter toward, take out THE POINT OF THE SHOULDER which is the scapular-humeral joint.

If quartering away, take out heart/lungs on the way to the offside shoulder.

They don't go nowhere, or at least not far.

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Further reference:

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've only killed 2 black bears, both with a 280. My guide also doesn't like shoulder shots. Shot the first one with a 160 gr. NPT and the second one with a 175 gr. NPT Both heart /lung hits , first one dropped at the shot ,the other one ran about 50 ft.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There are archery bear hunting guides who recomend shooting for the 'middle of the middle' or exactly where the midpoint of the front and back legs intersect with the midpoint of the back and belly....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have never shot a black bear myself, but friends in PENN tell me they arent hard to kill, just hard to find. They disappear like ghosts around small game season in most areas.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Further reference:

[Linked Image]

That's freaky....

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by VernAK

That would be good duty...

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you azz shoot blackies with an Uber magnum, I've heard they live a long time.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.