Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've read dozens of comments through the years that they're easy to kill, but I just read Ralph Young's two books, and he says they're extremely hard to kill -- harder than brown bears. Since he was in on the kill of about 1000 black bears during his 30 years of guiding, you would think he'd know what he was talking about.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask JJHACK; he's killed or been in on the kill of more than anyone else on this site.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With today's modern bullets they aren't too hard to kill. That could have been a factor, poor bullets in his day. The guy I guided for shot lots of bears over the years and he didn't like shoulder shots since he saw many bears run off with broken shoulders. Another factor is the chest of a bear is quite small compared to the rest of his body so some guys may be hitting them around the edges somewhere. The guy I guided for did also say most of his hunters were poor shots. I guided his European hunters which generally are better shots than the guys from North America.

Gerry.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Ask JJHACK; he's killed or been in on the kill of more than anyone else on this site.

Yup.

In my grand total of three black bears on spot-and-stalk hunts here in Washington, one went down instantly to the first shot and stayed there.

The other two required multiple shots to anchor.

Good hits are paramount - but they can be tenacious.

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you can kill deer with it, you can kill black bear with it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yep, I know a guy who shot one with a 222, although I would prefer something a little bigger. The 260 and 6.5x55 are a couple of good rounds for blackies.

Gerry.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ingwe

That's what everybody says, but it's hard to square that with this statement from Young:

There ability to absorb and withstand vital tissue damage is beyond comprehension. I know of no American big game animal as hard to put down and keep down, and this does not exclude the might and horrendous Alaskan brown bear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't hit a vital area with your shot they can go a long way and often not be recovered. They are tough but a shot through both lungs does them in pretty quick. I know a guy who shot one with a 338 RUM and a 250 gr bullet at 3000 fps, at the shot it dropped (very common with bears)so he walked over towards it with his gun down. As he got closer the bear jumped up and ran away never to be seen again, they even went back with a dog but never found it. Obviously he never hit the lungs and that big cannon did him no good, but he couldn't believe anything could ever stand up to the mighty 338 RUM. It's guys like this that will start telling everyone that you need a 375 or bigger.....

Gerry.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've heard that they have a very slow respiratory rate - don't know that - but have been told that.

And that this can give them a tremendous ability to continue running, even after taking a shot to one lung...

Concur Gerry, that shot placement is likely the biggest problem - they're kind of a big, dark, furry ball, and look different in the sights than do the deer we normally hunt.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One bear to my credit, take it for what it's worth.

If you shoot them downhill from the front and put a TTSX through the chest, spine, one lung, and exit through the last ribs on the off side, they roll over and stick their feet up in the air.

From a gay 270 Win no less.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should also mention if someone wants to use a big gun that's fine, I have even used the 375 Ruger one time on a blackie. But I have also seen the 260, 6.5x55 and 270 Win work just as good.

Gerry.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GuyM
I've heard that they have a very slow respiratory rate - don't know that - but have been told that.

And that this can give them a tremendous ability to continue running, even after taking a shot to one lung...

Concur Gerry, that shot placement is likely the biggest problem - they're kind of a big, dark, furry ball, and look different in the sights than do the deer we normally hunt.

Guy

The respiration/heart rate thing is rolled out pretty often, but that came from hibernating bears. Look at the muscle... very dark meat due to lots of myoglobin which stores oxygen in the muscle for endurance.

Take away blood and they still have enough oxygen to go a long way.

I have watched over a hundred get shot with a strong half being ones I shot. Being raised to shoot ribs, I did, but don't. I prefer to make an exit wound with an X on the far side shoulder... that stops them.

Two of my worst bear experiences came by way of smallish black bears yet Young calls them cowards...

Good bullets from today are far better than yesteryear's and that makes the shoulder shot good.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect Waterrat may have seen a few die, too...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not going to argue with all the black bear experience on here,and especially Young.

I have not killed a lot of them myself but been around enough dead ones in our bear camps in northern Maine. We used everything from the 257 Roberts to the 375 H&H. We noticed the 30/06 with 165 Partitions were very good and mostly exited on any shot.

The two that gave the toughest time and longest trails were both hit too far back with a 257 Roberts,115 partition, and a 340 Weatherby with 210 NPT.

Of my last two,one was shoulder shot at maybe 20-30 feet with a 270 and 130 NPT;it collapsed and bullet exited. The other was hit through ribs and lungs with a 140 Bitterroot from a 280 Remington. He collapsed at the shot,squirmed a little and died.i am told it's hard to get a bear to die on the spot with lung hits. That one wasn't.

How tough are they? I dunno. They never seemed too tough to me.But if you hit them wrong they can be I guess.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here in NC we have some pretty big ones down east. On the hunts I have been in on seems the old 30.30 or 35 Rem is the favorite.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guided bear hunters for 15 years in Maine and have seen QUITE A FEW bear taken over bait and by the use of hounds. I've also tracked quite a few that were lost due to bad shots.

I've seen hunters kill them with rifles of all calibers ranging from a 30-30 to 338 Win mag and everything in between. I've seen several killed with both 20 & 12 gauge shotgun slugs, 4-5 killed with large cal handguns and probably 20+ killed with compound bows, traditional bows and crossbows.
I've killed 8 myself, 5 with rifles and 3 with archery equipment. My wife has taken 3 and my son 1.

Like most big game animals an individual bears reaction to a shot varies by animal and circumstances. I've seen some dropped and "frozen" by a single shot and I've seen others run off with the same shot placement and required additional shots to kill it. In general I'd say they do have a strong desire to live and because of hair and fat often don't leave good blood trails.

I'm not disputing Mr. Young's opinion and can only form and offer my own based on my experiences. The AVERAGE live weight of a black bear in the lower 48 is 200 lbs. I do not consider them any harder to kill than any other big game animal IF shot placement goes where it needs to be.

Last edited by Ghostman; 02/03/16.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have only killed a few and they died easy (all 358 win), My bear guide who sees a couple dozen a year shot doesn't seem to think it takes much to kill one and says that ones that are tough to recover are poorly shot.

I would just say a lot of black bears are shot at last light and the black of the coat makes picking a good aiming point challenging. If were going to tool up for bear I would consider at an illuminated reticle, more than I would obsess over cartridge.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Between my son and I we have taken 5. 1 with a .30-06 (165 gr factory core lokt), 1 with a .308 (130 gr TTSX handload), 1 with a .257 Bee (110 gr Accubond handload)and 2 with a .350 mag (200 gr TSX handload).

The only one that got double lunged was with the .257 Bee and the 110 Accubond. He ran about 50 yards.

The 4 others were shot in the neck and dropped. Recovered 1 bullet and that was from the .350 mag on a 350 pound bear. Bullet went into the neck passed through the chest, broke the ball/socket joint at opposite leg and stopped just under the hide. It was a 200 gr barnes TSX. I realized then just how much heavy muscle a big black bear has. We strive for neck shots when at all possible. If not I would go for a double shoulder shot with a premium bullet and follow up as necessary. Tracking is a chore in the thick stuff where we hunt and a bear hide can soak up a lot of blood before it starts dripping. This just from my very limited experience.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My black bear success is very limited to a single small bear. However I like the advice of the Manitoba outfitters I've used.
Black bear die faster from a well-placed arrow than a bullet. Black bear blood clots almost instantly(they would have killed each other off if it didn't), so if an arrow stays inside the vital zone, it makes another cut whenever the bear's leg moves. A bullet makes a single hole, and if it isn't a perfect hit, the blood doesn't flow for long. If shot by a powerful bow and the arrow passes all the way through, a bow isn't any more effective than a bullet.
On my last try, the only bear that didn't go 30 yards was hit in the heart with an arrow which almost bisected the heart.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Actually, Young only gives a couple-three examples of this hard to killness, and they are nothing especially phenomenal -- I've seen whitetails with more will to live, so I think I'll believe the members here rather than Young.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.