Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
is this one:

[Linked Image]aap-620_1 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Green River Rifle Works .54 Caliber left hand lock, 34" barrel and Ron Long Lock! I think I'm gonna be happy!

[Linked Image]aap-620_5 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

[Linked Image]aap-620_6 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gonna be happy??? I should say so. Great choice Sharpsman, and the right caliber.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!
That is nice.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
WOW! WOW! Enjoy that thing!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is absolutely beautiful. But for me, that new ML would only be a wall-hanger for me, or a hunting rifle that only sees wide-open corners of the woods.
So the exception I have with rifles so nice (as the one pictured) is they change my hunting habits. For instance: I wouldn't dare hunt the thickets and scratch that rifle. My last couple purchases of rifles was in selecting basic, black synthetic stocks that I can take anywhere and could care-less of, should they get scratched.

Another problem I have with your gorgeous rifle is the size of the trigger guard. My fingers freeze easy, so I need to wear two pair of gloves on my fingertips here in cold-cold Michigan hunting seasons. Handwarmers are not my friend.... too many allergies, skin included.

Believe me, I tried taking my fancy, brassy long-rifle into thick quarters of the woods, keeping it in a gun case until I sat. That works fine UNLESS a deer pops-out enroute to my hunting spot. It's maddening to see a five point buck standing twenty yards ahead and my rifle is all zipped up inside a gun case across my shoulder.

So the best medicine for me is to buy rifles to hunt with - that aren't pretty and aren't even made of wood.

Enjoy that thing of beauty. It would fill my living room wall proud, but seldom ever see the hunting spots I go to, unless it's a corners field or easy access ridge.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifle! Why do the American. Or Kentucky long rifles have such an angle behind the hammer going down through the stock? Once again nice rifle!

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/04/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Beautiful rifle? Why do the American. Or Kentucky long rifles have such an angle behind the hammer going down through the stock? Once again nice rifle!

Because back in their heyday, open sights were the only game in town, and position shooting that we are familiar with was unheard of. If used like they are intended, they are a treat. Try to adapt them to a "modern" approach to shooting and you will be frustrated.

That is indeed a very nice rifle, one I would be proud to own. I though wouldn't worry about scratching it up when hunting. I routinely use nice rifles that some would say belong on display, not in the deer woods. Well, in my trade I rely on a lot of 100 year old hand tools that have a burnished look with patina that can't be applied in a factory. Do I throw them around on the bench? Do I let them get rusty? Do I abuse them in any way? Nope, I treat them with respect, but I do use them, virtually on a daily basis, and they look as good as when I became their custodian. Same holds true for my guns.

I have dragged my handmade half stock rifle through some truly nasty thickets over the last 20 years, and there isn't a scratch on it. I guess it boils down to one's attitude...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very nice!

WHUT?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice rifle! and the lock is on the right side for me! I will not own a gun that Im not going to use! Iv deer and Bear hunted with savage 99 "K" grade rifles! I tend to take good care of my stuff, if it was to get a mark well than I can look at it and rember the hunt that it happand on! I wish you Luck with your New rifle Sir!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been deer hunting now for 65 years and I ain't a 'roamer'! I learned a long time ago to scout for sign....and I sit my arse where I expect to see game and I've gotten more than my share! I don't give a 'hoot n hell' if I ever take another and I won't unless they're like this:

[Linked Image]Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

I love fried backstrap but have been a 'head hunter' for many years now and I just let the smaller bucks grow! The grandsons shoot the meat deer. I saw probably 30 bucks in Kansas this past season rifle hunting and I never pulled the trigger! I froze my arse off for 30 years on climbing stands bow hunting and at this stage of my life those are just precious memories! I sit in a blind...with a heater when it's cold and whether or not I see a head I want...I've had a great day! I won't be worried about getting a scratch on this rifle!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure where you found that lefthanded beauty but I'd be proud to hunt that one. I'd love one just like it.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
That is a beautiful rifle!!! And nice buck too, hope you tag another like that with your new toy laugh

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Is that the one that Track of the Wolf had? Seen it and was tempted by it.

Last edited by ohiosam; 02/11/16.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yep! It'll be in my hands soon!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick,....that's a keeper !

If you have that lock off, could you get a good close up photo of the innards, viewed from directly above, ruler below ?

Good reference to original dims.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Hawkens always have appealed to me. A quintessential tool of the early American West smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
That is absolutely beautiful. But for me, that new ML would only be a wall-hanger for me, or a hunting rifle that only sees wide-open corners of the woods.
So the exception I have with rifles so nice (as the one pictured) is they change my hunting habits. For instance: I wouldn't dare hunt the thickets and scratch that rifle. My last couple purchases of rifles was in selecting basic, black synthetic stocks that I can take anywhere and could care-less of, should they get scratched.

Another problem I have with your gorgeous rifle is the size of the trigger guard. My fingers freeze easy, so I need to wear two pair of gloves on my fingertips here in cold-cold Michigan hunting seasons. Handwarmers are not my friend.... too many allergies, skin included.

Believe me, I tried taking my fancy, brassy long-rifle into thick quarters of the woods, keeping it in a gun case until I sat. That works fine UNLESS a deer pops-out enroute to my hunting spot. It's maddening to see a five point buck standing twenty yards ahead and my rifle is all zipped up inside a gun case across my shoulder.

So the best medicine for me is to buy rifles to hunt with - that aren't pretty and aren't even made of wood.

Enjoy that thing of beauty. It would fill my living room wall proud, but seldom ever see the hunting spots I go to, unless it's a corners field or easy access ridge.

You seem cornfused. First off, you need to change your name to 2FG. Second, you only need to put a fingertip on them thar triggers, not stroke 'em like you're in the shower. Third, you carried a gun to your spot in a case? Dooood, that's as wrong as a football bat. Forth, It ain't hard to tote a gun in the field or woods without running into timber. Open your eyes. Tell me your name isn't really Helen Keller, please!

Last, there ain't many good reasons to use S/S guns, but I'll admit there are a few. All day soaking rain comes to mind. They double up as boat paddles fairly well and you can beat a beaver to death with one I suppose.

It is also acceptable to hunt S/S with a suppressor. That's uber cool, especially if you paint it black.

Be all you can be.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Rick,....that's a keeper !

If you have that lock off, could you get a good close up photo of the innards, viewed from directly above, ruler below ?

Good reference to original dims.

GTC

I'll do it Cross! Should be in my hands tomorrow! grin grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

I'm not worried about getting a scratch/dent, on/in the stock. I'm quite certain there are 'thickets' somewhere in Kansas where I do my deer hunting but mostly along the Medicine River the timber is fairly open so it's not uncommon to be able to 'sit' and see in places 200 yards...which I like! At 76 years of age I think I've probably tromped more miles and climbed enough mountains so these days my son will ride me to the vicinity of my stand on a wheeler and there I will sit....all day long if I so desire...with a stove aboard if it's really cold! I damn nigh froze to death in Idaho back in '80; had hypothermia and stayed in Idaho Falls hospital three days before catching a flight home and my body will not tolerate cold weather like it did when I was 40. That five point you mentioned would have been safe staring at me because I only shoot those akin to this:

[Linked Image]Kansas buck taken in Dec 2014 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

My son with the buck I took in 2014.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Received the GRRW Hawken this morning and it's been a real pleasure dealing with Track of the Wolf on this deal! Really great to deal with folks that understand what makes a business thrive aka Service and Reliability! I really like the 'cut' of this rifling and the barrel is just like TOTW described it...EXCELLENT! All metal is inletted to the T and I'm as happy as a cur dog locked up in a meat house!! grin grin

[Linked Image]Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

I had to drill out and tap another rod for the .54 caliber jag as my other rods were all undersize. I've pulled the ramrod from the rifle and checked it...cleaned out the ferrules and will leave the rifle rod attached when shooting and use another couple to seat the PRB and to clean with! Tomorrow if not too windy and cold I'll see what it'll do on the tgt board!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
170 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.