Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dumb question.....will 721 la drop into 700 la stock ? I found a nice 721 w/stock that is too far gone to refinish.

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Answer is yes but the bolt handle cut out is different, 721 is straight and 700 is angled back.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It will need altered at both inlet ?

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on the stock. I have done about six. Latest is an early 721 300 H&H into a camo Remington ADL stock.
New front action screw needed as ADL is longer than 721. Barrel channel needs opening and the rear sight boss needs to be fitted. Stock needs to be opened up for 721 safe. On some stocks (like a factory wood 700 BDL) the bolt handle needs to be fitted. If you use new 700 bottom metal and mag box in a 700 BDL stock it's a drop in. If you use the 721 bottom metal on a 700 BDL stock you will need to shim under the front guard screw and probably shorten the magazine box (top to bottom) On my ADL both the magazine and bolt drops in. None of it is hard, a Dremel, sharp chisels and sandpaper will do it. New 700 stocks can be found on Ebay and at Numrich. It's a great change as 721/2 are usually smoother than 700s and the barrels always shoot very well.
Hope you will post pics when done.

Another 721 300 H&H in 700 Classic stock, done a few years ago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As Spalding mentioned the safety lever is different on the two actions. You can file a flat on the side of the 721 tang and use a 700 safety lever, or cut clearance out of the 700 stock and use the 721 lever.

I prefer to use the 700 lever.

Not all 721s have the doughnut sight boss and some early 700s have it.

There are many different barrel contours in the 700 line, fewer in the 721.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
As Spalding mentioned the safety lever is different on the two actions. You can file a flat on the side of the 721 tang and use a 700 safety lever, or cut clearance out of the 700 stock and use the 721 lever.

I prefer to use the 700 lever.

Not all 721s have the doughnut sight boss and some early 700s have it.

There are many different barrel contours in the 700 line, fewer in the 721.

According to John Lacy's book, the barrel boss/doughnut was discontinued on the 721/722 at the same time the 725 was introduced, circa 1958.

Spalding is Larry Root's current handle and, as anybody who has been around 24HCF for awhile, he is notoriously unreliable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did not realize Root was Spalding, thanks.

I have seen specific examples all over the place on the doughnuts. But the date stamps are also unreliable.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 721/2s w/o the barrel bulge for the rear sight are the so called transition models. They were made with left over 725 barrels and are all short, 22" in std calibers, 24" in the 300 H&H.

I've never seen a factory 700 with the rear sight lump as IMO, all the 721/2 barrels were gone, hence the "transition" model using 725 bbls. But anything is possible.

As to "unreliable" draw your own conclusions. I've done it, they just talk. Sad that this potentially great site in haunted by a few "my way or the highway" types, but if it's on the internet it must be true.

I hope the OP found the post helpful as that is the intent.
All the rest is wasted bandwidth.

722 custom barreled 222 in a 700SA Varmint stock

[Linked Image]

Last edited by spalding; 02/04/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Larry,

If you are such a stellar participant, why has Rick booted you from the site multiple times? You keep coming back with new handles to avoid people easily recognizing you for what you are, a [bleep] stirring troll. What sort of person pretends to be his own wife?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by spalding
The 721/2s w/o the barrel bulge for the rear sight are the so called transition models. They were made with left over 725 barrels and are all short, 22" in std calibers, 24" in the 300 H&H.

I've never seen a factory 700 with the rear sight lump as IMO, all the 721/2 barrels were gone, hence the "transition" model using 725 bbls. But anything is possible.

As to "unreliable" draw your own conclusions. I've done it, they just talk. Sad that this potentially great site in haunted by a few "my way or the highway" types, but if it's on the internet it must be true.

I hope the OP found the post helpful as that is the intent.
All the rest is wasted bandwidth.

722 custom barreled 222 in a 700SA Varmint stock

[Linked Image]

From a stack of posts one post high you may fool someone...

Your record shows you are a complete idiot in at least 360 degrees.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
oh, is that your rifle? Or did you steal it from the internet like most of your photos?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amusing to say the least. Of course the photos are stolen. Why there are 1000s of photos on the net of 721/2s converted to 700 stocks. Very easy to do. Funny that all the details of how to do it are here, not there.

An interesting "lunch box" gun from Ilion estate sale:

721 action, 722 257 Bob barrel, 721 Premier grade wood:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stolen from same place as 721 300 H&H (note identical background).

Looking forward to seeing OP's project when completed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Confirmed the Root of that problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka, tried to PM you, box is full. Tried your posted email address, it's invalid. Pls fix them, thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
not for you...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Confirmed the Root of that problem.

Yup, the troll is back. Again. From under his rock.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Craig EXACTLY what makes a troll in your mind. Is it a member who threatens to kill other members ? Who insults their family members ? Who makes big bets and then welches ?
Who accuses another member of violations of criminal law with no evidence ? Who pirates threads (as you have here)?
Who says they are coming to another member's' home to "kick their azz" or straighten them out"? Who tell a member he cannot offer selling terms because "he" doesn't approve of them ? Who accuses a member of not owning the guns he does ? Who claims all the photos posted by a member have been stolen off the internet ? AND when asked to provide ANY proof of these allegations reverts to name calling and whining to the site owner to ban that member ?

If that meets you definition, look in the mirror.

On the other hand if a troll is a member who has over the years given factual, well supported advice, who owns everything he claims to, attributes every picture he takes to it's source and has spent 1000s of dollars supporting other members wishes to sell items ...... well I plead guilty.

The worst of the troll hate just to hate and control the site. Many others just tag along as in the nameless world of the internet they believe actions have no consequeces.
A great error (chuckle)

Knock yourself out. Run and whine like you always do. I have done what I needed to do THIS visit. When my funds are restored, I'll be back to deal with the gentlemen on this site who represent 99.999% of the membership.

OP, I'm sorry but as usual THEY started it and I just don't roll over.

Craigster et. al. GFY!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Larry, crawl off and die

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Multiple handles.

Kicked off the Fire multiple times.

Deceit.

A form of lying.

What's to like?

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by spalding
Craig EXACTLY what makes a troll in your mind. Is it a member who threatens to kill other members ? Who insults their family members ? Who makes big bets and then welches ?
Who accuses another member of violations of criminal law with no evidence ? Who pirates threads (as you have here)?
Who says they are coming to another member's' home to "kick their azz" or straighten them out"? Who tell a member he cannot offer selling terms because "he" doesn't approve of them ? Who accuses a member of not owning the guns he does ? Who claims all the photos posted by a member have been stolen off the internet ? AND when asked to provide ANY proof of these allegations reverts to name calling and whining to the site owner to ban that member ?

If that meets you definition, look in the mirror.

On the other hand if a troll is a member who has over the years given factual, well supported advice, who owns everything he claims to, attributes every picture he takes to it's source and has spent 1000s of dollars supporting other members wishes to sell items ...... well I plead guilty.

The worst of the troll hate just to hate and control the site. Many others just tag along as in the nameless world of the internet they believe actions have no consequeces.
A great error (chuckle)

Knock yourself out. Run and whine like you always do. I have done what I needed to do THIS visit. When my funds are restored, I'll be back to deal with the gentlemen on this site who represent 99.999% of the membership.

OP, I'm sorry but as usual THEY started it and I just don't roll over.

Craigster et. al. GFY!

Larry, you're drooling again. Now, wipe the drool from your chin and get back to window licking.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.