Add Chicken McNuggets to my 'want to see' list... sick

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Add Chicken McNuggets to my 'want to see' list... sick

My thoughts too,

(rbb, you really don't want to know how they make those things)

How many here eat (or ate as kids) chicken nuggets (anybody's brand, Tyson etc)?

When they get the culture process down, there will be less work involved in making the darn things, no bones, skin, etc to get rid of. Will the makers care about flavor? Nope, it can be added, "natural flavor" even. (Look into that one if your interested, it may not be so "natural" after all).

Breaded fish patties/stick/fillets the same way.

Having worked in a field where we maintained cell lines for disease detection, I can tell you I'm surprised it has taken as long as it has.

I'm with Steelhead, at my age I'll be outa here (maybe) before it gets too bad. (I hope!)

You folks have a nice day thinking about all this "stuff".

Geno

PS, maybe the issue isn't meat culture? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Here's to hopin' they culture ribeyes and bacon, oh yeah!

Oh wait....it'll be govt run--so chuck shoulder roast and pork shoulder is the best they'll be able to do.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you fuggers had to ruin arbys for me didn't ya? thats the last fast food i can stomach. well, was..

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RWE
I can't believe they are selling this with the global warming agenda.

HO LEE [bleep]!

Good bye Sam Olsen's.

Good bye ranchers...

Everyone move to the city.

Turn in your guns.

Here's your Soylent green....

Heard about this a week or two ago. Call me naïve but I'm not worried(about that particular issue). Greenie Feds have me 10x more nervous(BLM leases etc..). The Dems will regulate us into the ground.

1/2 hour ago, the little dogs aren't worried either......grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/04/16.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by RWE
I can't believe they are selling this with the global warming agenda.

HO LEE [bleep]!

Good bye Sam Olsen's.

Good bye ranchers...

Everyone move to the city.

Turn in your guns.

Here's your Soylent green....

Heard about this a week or two ago. Call me naïve but I'm not worried(about that particular issue). Greenie Feds have me 10x more nervous(BLM leases etc..). The Dems will regulate us into the ground.

1/2 hour ago, the little dogs aren't worried either......grin

[Linked Image]

They should be. I'll eat your dogs before eating lab-beef. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd think the over populated, poor countries would be the first to accept it. But we already want free range, non-gmo, organic, etc meats in our country. Not sure who'd eat it here.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The same that eat fortified "nutritional" bars and drink Red Bull, Monster, and even diet pop....

Lotsa people in line....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Starbucks protein coffee in a can(gas station cooler section) are actually pretty good.

And I eat protein bars all the time, but for whatever reason think that replicating a natural, delicious steak is gonna be impossible.

You simply can't replicate something like that and so long as beef doesn't price itself out the market there will always be demand.
(IMHO)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
The same that eat fortified "nutritional" bars and drink Red Bull, Monster, and even diet pop....

Lotsa people in line....

I guess the point I was trying to make is people worry about the quality of their beef, chicken(free range, grass feed, non-gmo) enough now that they'll want a real "live" burger. The poor starving Chinese/ indian will eat whatever they can get to fill their stomachs.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
It is impossible; just like replicating a loaf of fresh bread.....

But that doesnt matter.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
This stuff might actually be less offensive than the crap presently used to make hot dogs, baloney, and various sausages.

Personally, I'll just keep packing the hay bales out to my steaks and burgers.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Just where do you find "free - range" cultured beef?

Maybe - if Sam & I read Shakespeare to our cows? - "cultured beef"?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
you fuggers had to ruin arbys for me didn't ya? thats the last fast food i can stomach. well, was..

Don't worry, the fake stuff is costing about $10k a pound right now. Government money, of course.

http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html?keywords=cultured%20food (PAR-15-024)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Timely...this showed up on Foxnews today. How about a cultured meatball...at $18,000/lb

[Linked Image]

'World's first' lab-grown meatball revealed
Published February 03, 2016FoxNews.com

Memphis Meats, a San Francisco startup devoted to creating lab-grown meat from animal cells, released a video on Tuesday that shows what it’s calling the “world’s first cultured meatball” getting fried up in a pan.

“We watched how the meatball reacted in the pan, we heard the sizzle, we smelled the meat and it was exactly how you would expect a meatball to smell,” Memphis Meats chief executive Uma Valeti said in the video. “This is the first time a meatball has ever been cooked with beef cells that didn't require a cow to be slaughtered.”

Memphis Meats grows animal muscle tissue using stem cells of cows and pigs and feeds them oxygen and nutrients, according to the Wall Street Journal. While there are no animals slaughtered in making the meats, the firm does use fetal bovine serum from unborn calves' blood to initiate the process.

So far, the cells grow in extremely thin layers—which is very labor intensive and expensive. Now it costs about $18,000 to produce a pound of Memphis Meats beef--compared to about $4 for store-bought beef.

But the company, founded by three scientists, has been experimenting growing meat from stem cells harvested from cows, pigs, and chickens and says it’ll be selling its animal-free products to high-end customers in three to four years.

The company's first line of products will include hot dogs, sausages, burgers and meatballs, which will all use recipes developed by award-winning chefs.

Valeti said in the video that his company’s process also produces 90 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions than traditional agriculture.

“The meat industry knows their products aren’t sustainable,” Valeti told the Wall Street Journal. "We believe that in 20 years, a majority of meat sold in stores will be cultured.”

There are other startups also racing the produce test-tube meats.

In 2012, Netherlands scientist Mark Post made headlines for his lab-grown hamburger that came with a whopping $330,000 price tag. Already production costs are falling and Post in 2014 told the Huffington Post he'd be able to get his beef down to costs of $11 per burger patty.

It's too early to say if we'll all be grilling up lab-grown meatballs, chicken wings, and pork chops. But for now, there is a big push to be the first to bring these food to our plates.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Think I will keep eating what eats my grass, [bleep] on my grass, and hangs in my freezer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like it's going to be just ground meat. No steaks type meats.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I been telling the lil woman my meat is cultured

She don't wanna seem to taste it

I dunno maybe she's going vegetarian

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
As I've said before, I'm quite content knowing I'm well past the half way mark in life.

No schitt, Sherlock. I'm with you.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's something repulsive in the extreme at the thought of this. I assume I'm not alone, which doesn't bode well for its marketability.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.