Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have no connection with this but there's an auction Sat. here in MO. that has a 1907 trials 45 that some of you would probably be interested in. They are doing internet bidding through the 4th and when I looked it was only at $55... seems cheap to me lol.
Talley and Associates, Smithville,MO.
Thank me later.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by tal35; 02/03/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog

Thank me later.
It's a live auction, thank you for what? There can only be one winner (if that with a reserve), so at the most there will be only one person that will benefit from your posting it and anyone who may have already have seen it might not be happy with you posting it at all. From the history here the upside of posting live auctions is usually very little to none, and on the downside they can often get some very negative reactions. If you were bidding on it yourself, would you post it?

Last edited by GeneB; 02/03/16. Reason: added last sentence

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't have seen it unless it had been posted here and even though I'm not interested, I might bid on it if the price is still within my range. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Well, currently at $8K without the reserve having been reached, well beyond my range.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 02/03/16. Reason: Added comment
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This item obviously will go for big bucks so I think a little extra advertising isn't going to make that much of a difference. The guys who know these pistols likely already know about the auction and all it takes is two bidders for the price to go sky high. When it gets down to that I'm kind of reminded of the old saying about if you have to ask the price.... I don't know what the selling price will be for this item but I do already know that I wont be able to afford it.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, being on Proxibid, all the serious players for something like this were already aware of it, so probably no harm no foul. I would call it a rare exception to the "post no live auctions" protocol here on this forum.

Had I known a year or two in advance I could have saved my nickels and taken a run at it. Or not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here you guys go ruining my auction. Guess I'll have to pass on this one. laugh

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If it was yours you would probably want as many people to know about it as possible now wouldn't you? Some people just live to complain.
Smithville is less than an hour away from KC... do you think if I hadn't posted it here that there would only be one or two bidders show up?
I see people posting about rifles that are on Gun Broker all the time and no one whines about that.

Oh, by the way at 11AM cen. it was still $55 with 8 hours left for internet bidding... I'm located about 2 hours away and may attend, I might get it for $60. lol

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your computer must be slow to update. I have been watching that auction for over a week and last check showed an internet bid was $8000.00 and reserve price still was not met. Auction has 2 days and 1 hour to go. Good luck on getting that pistol for $60. Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it was yours you would probably want as many people to know about it as possible now wouldn't you? Some people just live to complain.
Smithville is less than an hour away from KC... do you think if I hadn't posted it here that there would only be one or two bidders show up?
I see people posting about rifles that are on Gun Broker all the time and no one whines about that.

Ahh, pay attention in class. This has been hacked to death here countless times. Basically there is a tacit understanding here that current auctions are taboo, unless it is an auction for something with a ludicrous description/price/condition, or so outrageously out of everyone's ballpark so as to be exempt from the rule. That's why I said this gun qualifies for the rare exemption, IMO. Still in all, upon further reflection, perhaps there are a couple guys here who are watching this with excitement and dollars in hand and really wouldn't want one more soul to be aware of it...

If in doubt, don't post the auction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been 6 months or more since we've posted this..

Post auctions that are complete- cool

Post auctions that are warnings to potential buyers of known issues- cool

Post auctions that have been online for a long time b/c they are way over priced or just junk-cool

Post things on their first listing that ppl here are likely bidding on and don't wnat competition- NOT cool

Lots of folks don't care, some do. To keep the anger levels down the above general guidelines were created years ago. Doubt this one is an issue due to the price levels on the 45's, but to avoid the drama...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
As you all wish, no more "heads up" just "you should have been there" and " man that went cheap" in the future.
I clicked on the refresh button and it was still showing $55 on my computer... must be defective.

Last edited by teamprairiedog; 02/04/16.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Please don't take offense. You aren't the first guy to do it, and probably not the last. It needs to be brought up as a reminder from time to time, and unfortunately it's usually a well-meaning soul who trips the trigger of debate!

That sure is a neat gun, and sadly the only Savage pistol I really would ever care to own. Perhaps I'll find one at a yard sale sometime with a $30 price tag.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/04/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hee hee... I still remember getting slammed hard over posting live auctions 10 years ago. Definitely not the first (or last) time this has happened.

And I also remember far, far too much drama over folks who bought 99's based off of what people here said guns were worth and then threw total mental meltdown freaking out hissy fits when they couldn't sell those guns for the huge profit they thought they would get.

I'll stick to talking gun features and stay far away from most price discussions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...now aren't you complaining about me complaining? I though I was just making a statement, maybe I should have put it a little different.

It's not mine and it's probably not anyone else's here - so was your intent on posting to try and get as many bidders involved as possible, so the price would be as high as possible? Who but the owner & auction house would thank anyone for that? Like I asked, if it was something you were interested in, and bidding on, would you have posted it? Just askin' & just something to think about.

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually I can think of a couple guys on this site that probably have a bid on it and wouldn't want to see it posted. Even at 8 bills it's still in their sights.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Please don't take offense. You aren't the first guy to do it, and probably not the last. It needs to be brought up as a reminder from time to time, and unfortunately it's usually a well-meaning soul who trips the trigger of debate!

That sure is a neat gun, and sadly the only Savage pistol I really would ever care to own. Perhaps I'll find one at a yard sale sometime with a $30 price tag.

gnoahhh, I started this thread as a public service that I thought would be appreciated and was an honorable thing to do.
From time to time I've posted about other items on other sites and the responses have been overwhelmingly positive but this forum obviously has a different outlook.

I'm not a Savage collector though I have accumulated some odds and ends like oil cans, a set of pistol grips, a magazine, a 1920 250Sav. barrel, and a couple of boxes of Savage ammo. That being said when I saw that 1907 being sold, I knew it was something desirable and thought of this forum and that maybe someone here might be able to fill an empty spot in their collection.

Regards

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No worries.

That would be a huge hole in one's Savage pistol collection that I doubt many will ever have a ghost of a hope to fill.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Actually, that's another exception. If it is your gun up at auction, it's okay to post a link. Though if somebody posts a lot of links to stuff they're selling it's likely to get complaints eventually.

Nobody is dogging you, we know you were trying to help us out. But the reality is that this forum tends to get 10 lurkers who never post or even join the campfire for each active participant, and so posting live auctions is more likely to hurt those active collectors here than help them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,201
Posts18,466,042
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.