Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 149 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 148 149
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not a PA story but a WI one.

My grandpa in law grin back from WWII used to take the train from central WI, Stevens Pt area, up to Villas CO to hunt deer.

He would use a borrowed .30 Rem 141 (I think) pump. He'd wear the wools and pack a small bag, jump on the train in Point and ride up to a logging camp that was rented out as a deer camp during the season.

The camp cook would wake them up early in the morning well before daylight, serve piping hot pancakes, eggs, coffee, and milk. They'd all have an apple and a peanut butter sandwich to grab in a paper bag on the way out the door into the woods.

They'd stay in the woods all day still hunting and stalking the clear-cuts. If someone got a buck, they'd gut it and drag it to the trail where it would be picked up with a horse and cart at the end of the day.

They'd come back to a plate of meat, potatoes, beans, and cake for desert. After the deer were picked up and hung, the mess hall was cleared out and the B.S started, the whiskey came out, and the card games began.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I posted this on the when I was a kid thread but that isn't getting much traction.
My first deer season:

When I was 12 it was my first year deer hunting. It was 1979 and we hunted in the national forest and stayed in a camper.

I got to go to camp for Thanksgiving weekend. We didn't see anything those 3 days. The following Saturday was the 1st of December and it was the only doe day of the season. On the Friday evening before doe day we pulled the camper up and spent the night. We were up early that Saturday and came outside to several inches of fresh snow.

I still remember every detail of that morning from climbing that ridge to dad dropping me off at the top. He had a stand about 100 yards below where he could keep an eye on me.

Dad had sporterized a 93 Mauser for me but let me carry his Marlin 35 that morning while he took his Model 70 270. This will become an important detail soon.

As soon as he dropped me off I sprayed myself down with G96 Apple deer lure. I hadn't been there 15 minutes when a huge old doe and her fawn from the spring walked right on top of me. I centered the crosshairs on the big does chest and cocked the rifle. With the click all hell broke loose. They ran right down the hollow to dad where he busted the big doe with the 270. She started flopping in the snow and the other one started running back up the other ridge and I started throwing lead at her. I missed clean frown

At that point in my life watching that doe go down in spectacular fashion was coolest thing I'd ever seen.

That day is what made me want to be a deer hunter and I'll never forget it. It's one of both mine and my dads favorite hunting memories.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great stories... Very enjoyable reading..

Molon Labe
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Time to bump this up.

A 7600 270 followed me home yesterday. One of the newer models with cut checkered/monte carlo stocks. It came complete with see-through mounts eek

I'll get it scoped in proper mounts this week and start messing with it over the weekend.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote/] I hadn't been there 15 minutes when a huge old doe and her fawn from the spring walked right on top of me. I centered the crosshairs on the big does chest and cocked the rifle. With the click all hell broke loose. They ran right down the hollow to dad where he busted the big doe with the .270[/quote]
That never happens. Deer simply don't react that way to metallic clicks from safeties and hammers at close range. Just ask the experts here who have seen it all like BobinNH and battue.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Time to bump this up.

A 7600 270 followed me home yesterday. One of the newer models with cut checkered/monte carlo stocks. It came complete with see-through mounts eek

I'll get it scoped in proper mounts this week and start messing with it over the weekend.

Just FYI - a 20 gauge stock set from an 870 fits those perfectly. Wood or synthetic. wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I know but this one is in good shape outside of a couple of small places, gloss finish to boot. Metal is like new.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to the safety noise, I bet it didn't take long for you to learn to pin that trigger back, while thumbing back the safety and then set it that way, did it? wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
As to the safety noise, I bet it didn't take long for you to learn to pin that trigger back, while thumbing back the safety and then set it that way, did it? wink

Before gutting his deer dad showed me trick. That's the only time that has ever happened to me wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It's so natural to me I don't even think about it.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[quote/] I hadn't been there 15 minutes when a huge old doe and her fawn from the spring walked right on top of me. I centered the crosshairs on the big does chest and cocked the rifle. With the click all hell broke loose. They ran right down the hollow to dad where he busted the big doe with the .270

That never happens. Deer simply don't react that way to metallic clicks from safeties and hammers at close range. Just ask the experts here who have seen it all like BobinNH and battue. [/quote]

I've shot dozens of deer with a 760 or 7600.

It takes about 4 seconds to learn how to figure out to move the safety without it making noise.

With excitement or being caught off guard, it can happen when you're not ready though. I shot a good 8pt at 10 steps. He heard the "click" but it was too late for him.

It's not that they don't react to it, but it should be too late by that time to matter.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
One thing I don't like about crossbolt safeties {and some others} is the "click" when pushed off quickly. Yes, it can be manipulated quietly but takes extra time and hand movement which I don't care for when a deer is within feet. If you think you're quicker on the draw than a deer can react you are simply mistaken. I will take them completely unaware/unalerted every time given the choice thanks. Fast shooting at alerted deer should not be required if you're doing things right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on, TZ

I've shot dozens of deer with a 760 or 7600.

It takes about 4 seconds to learn how to figure out to move the safety without it making noise.

In the last 57 years I have not had one deer spook because of safety noise using 870's, 760's and 7600's.

However a sudden movement will spook'm no matter what gun or rifle you are using.

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 07/11/16.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

However a sudden movement will spook'm no matter what gun or rifle you are using.

Or what kind of camo you have on wink

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

It's so natural to me I don't even think about it.

The first time I cocked a T C Renegade in the woods...
the buck turned 'inside-out'. I knew immediately "don't do that!". grin!

Whether is's an exposed hammer or safeties on 700s/70s, I never have to think about it.. Many Xs I've thot, I don't remember taking the safety off.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Marc - I've had many 760--M6s. More of them have been 270 than any other cal/cart. The 270s ALL shot the same loads more/less the same.

This Fall I'll be hunting a new to me "6-OH6", (M 6 30-06). I have scoped it, chronographed it, but haven't hunted it yet. I'm using 165 HBTSP over H 205 at 2925 fps.

I'm looking forward to hunting the 06 this year for the first time in a long time. I'd take a pic but we are cloudy and it's threatening rain. I'll post a pic in the near future.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jerry,
I already have several loads to try in the new 270. I'll get pics up this weekend when it's scoped properly.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Marc -

I understand. However after reading my last post I don't think I was specific enuff.

I meant more like this :

The loads that shot well in bolts ALSO shot well in the pumps.

I had 1 b a 270 w/ such a short throat that and the bullets had to be seated so deep that I didn't like how the loaded round looked but it was accurate in that rifle. I didn't try that ammo in a pump so I don't know about that particular 'round'.

Other than that any load that was accurate in B A was accurate in the pumps.

Good luck w/your 7600.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jerry,
The loads I spoke of are for my Model 70 and all shoot fine in it. They will be a good starting point in the 7600.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marc

For some reason, the 7600's I've loaded for over the years, have preferred the 140's or the 150's. So if your new 7600 doesn't like 130's don't give up.

57-58gr of H4831 with 140 AB's, 150 Speer SP, or Nosler Partitions all with CCI Mag primers.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Page 20 of 149 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.