Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
I must say, my boys had a successful and fun hunting season! Some of you may have read my post from last year when they both killed their first deer each on the same day. That makes for a tough follow up! I had hoped they both would get a shot at another deer this year. As luck would have it they did!

To start the season we made plans to hunt the same stands on the same day as the previous year. We arrived early and were in our stands before daybreak. My oldest son (15yrs old) was by himself and me and my youngest son (12yrs old) were sitting together in our stand. Within 30 minutes my oldest fired and text me saying he'd shot a 4pt. I congratulated him and told him to sit tight because we planned to hunt until around 9:30am. A few minutes later my youngest shot at and missed a nice doe. About 20 minutes passed another couple of doe came within range but they were in thick cover and moving behind us. When they walked into a clearing I grunted to stop them. He fired and missed again. He was disappointed but at least he was seeing deer. Within a few minutes my oldest was firing again. He said he'd shot two does. I decided we had enough work ahead of us for the morning and called it a day.

[Linked Image]

After returning home I checked to make sure my youngest son's rifle was sighted in because he was an excellent shot. It was off by six inches. We corrected the issue and made plans for another hunt. My youngest son is a true hunter. He does not care if he's deer, small game or bird hunting as long as he's in the outdoors. Due to some crazy warm weather we choose to squirrel hunt instead of deer hunt. He did not disappoint.

[Linked Image]

As the season moved along the boys were anxious for their winter school break. They knew they'd have plenty of time to hunt. We killed a couple more squirrel and waited for a deer to come in our sights.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

With the season coming to a near end and the boys headed back to school we decided to give it one last chance. As luck would have it, our plans for an evening hunt were almost interrupted. With only two hours left to hunt in the evening we headed to our stands. This time we all hunted separate. After only 10 minutes on the stand I heard a shot on some joining property (I thought). I text my oldest son and told him the shot wasn't from me or his brother. As I sat on the stand I watched five doe in a field for about 30 minutes. We needed some more meat for the freezer and I told my oldest son if I could get a shot I'd take one. I then heard my youngest son shoot. A few minutes later I shot and then a few minutes later my oldest shot. I had shot two doe but knew I needed to check on my boys. After reaching my youngest, I asked, did you kill one? He said "No, I killed two!" He had shot two doe also. His was the first shot I had heard but the sound had traveled so I didn't think it was him. We met with my oldest son and asked if he had killed a deer. Yep, a nice 8pt.

[Linked Image]

We had an awesome day! We finished the year doing some small game hunting and removing our stands for next year. If they're luck stays the same for next season I can only imagine what they'll kill.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy reading all of your stories hope you enjoyed mine!

Last edited by bamagun01; 02/02/16.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a great post and photo essay!
It's nice to see your young men growing and feeding the family!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very awesome. What is the squirrel rifle in the first picture? A .22 ?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
CZ American 22lr. Very accurate!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice looking too.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!!Fine young men and good shots.. Our country needs more like them.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the compliments!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.