Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
280 owners say the cutest things to try to make their cartridge #1 on a standard case ,especially since their pet has required artificial respiration to keep it alive since it came on the scene in 1956 smile

Like making up things about pressures, bearing surfaces, perfect powder capacity,superior killing effectiveness (LOL!), etc etc. Then, to make their case for how good it is,what do they do? Blow it out to AI and thump their chests about how great it is. If it's that good how come it needed "improvement"? LOL!

Which all gives me heartburn because the 280 is one of my 2 favorite "light" cartridges on the 06 case.

It's amusing to watch and has been going on for years.Old conversation. sick

Like Johnny B once wrote (about the 280 or something else, I can't remember), they remind you of some guy who's into collecting rare and exotic scotch from some Island off the Scottish coast and loves to lecture you on its alleged superiority over anything else coming out of a cask.... grin

Actually after maybe 6-8 or so 280's,I have found the cartridge more temperamental and stubborn as to both accuracy and velocity than the 270. Mention the 7 Rem mag to these savants and they sneer down their noses and dismiss greater powder capacity...their pet is magic and is its equal....at less pressure no lessl... laugh

It's hilarious! I never tire of it. 280 lovers enjoy picking fly shidt out of pepper..

338 I'm wintering fine thanks,loading a lot of 7 Rem mag without the need for making up stuff about 24" barrels and higher pressures.....Laffin.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Bob, you need a 7mm Weatherby. grin

“Factio democratica delenda est"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by orion03
Looking for a new 280 and was considering getting a new Model 70 Featherweight chambered in it. Anybody have any experience with one of these?

You know, if MRC would offer a featherweight barrel on their 1999 action, I think they might be on to something.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought on the first Win 70 FWT's in push feed configuration. It won't shoot better than 1.5 MOA, BUT it is consistent with grouping and zero stability. Nice and easy to carry, swings like a favorite bird gun, and looks nice. I put a Burris Compact 2.5x-7x in low mounts on the rifle, and it is my 2nd favorite elk gun.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by orion03
Looking for a new 280 and was considering getting a new Model 70 Featherweight chambered in it. Anybody have any experience with one of these?

You know, if MRC would offer a featherweight barrel on their 1999 action, I think they might be on to something.
Excellent idea!

Not holding my breath though.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Excellent idea!

Neither am I. But I think it'd be a winner.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
280 owners say the cutest things to try to make their cartridge #1 on a standard case ,especially since their pet has required artificial respiration to keep it alive since it came on the scene in 1956 smile

Like making up things about pressures, bearing surfaces, perfect powder capacity,superior killing effectiveness (LOL!), etc etc. Then, to make their case for how good it is,what do they do? Blow it out to AI and thump their chests about how great it is. If it's that good how come it needed "improvement"? LOL!

Which all gives me heartburn because the 280 is one of my 2 favorite "light" cartridges on the 06 case.

It's amusing to watch and has been going on for years.Old conversation. sick

Like Johnny B once wrote (about the 280 or something else, I can't remember), they remind you of some guy who's into collecting rare and exotic scotch from some Island off the Scottish coast and loves to lecture you on its alleged superiority over anything else coming out of a cask.... grin

Actually after maybe 6-8 or so 280's,I have found the cartridge more temperamental and stubborn as to both accuracy and velocity than the 270. Mention the 7 Rem mag to these savants and they sneer down their noses and dismiss greater powder capacity...their pet is magic and is its equal....at less pressure no lessl... laugh

It's hilarious! I never tire of it. 280 lovers enjoy picking fly shidt out of pepper..

338 I'm wintering fine thanks,loading a lot of 7 Rem mag without the need for making up stuff about 24" barrels and higher pressures.....Laffin.

I like the .280. With a grain or two extra powder, it is ballistically identical to the wonderful .270 but in .284. A Featherweight .280 would be really nifty. I have only played with 3-4 .280s, but unlike Bob, have not found the .280 temperamental. I would give that title to the old '06, though.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Excellent idea!

Neither am I. But I think it'd be a winner.
I would get one in a .280 or even a 7x57.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Recoil isn't quite as heavy as with a .30'06, and doesn't need a 24" barrel to show its stuff like the high pressure .270 Win, or .25'06

(

Huh?

Campfire logic, Bob.

Nope physics !

Campfire logic would dictate a 23" for balance.

Wintering Well ?

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Recoil isn't quite as heavy as with a .30'06, and doesn't need a 24" barrel to show its stuff like the high pressure .270 Win, or .25'06

(

Huh?

Campfire logic, Bob.

Nope physics !

Campfire logic would dictate a 23" for balance.

Wintering Well ?

Give us a physics lesson then.

Pressure Difference ( ~ +8.3% for the .270) & Expansion Ratio ( 95% )

The mathamagicians here can elaborate

My .280 AI is on a 24" KS - I want the velocity, and don't mind loading for that goal.

I don't have any .270's , but if I did, I wouldn't cut one down from 24", and I'd happily run 130 BT's at warp speed for max pbr

270 150 NPs in the bush for moose might fit nicely in a 22" Fwt, or
a similar SD 180 NP in a .30'06 would work too.
I like my .280 Fwt for that purpose.

Different platforms. Different purpose. Very small differences between the .30'06 and .280 because of the same 60Kpsi loading standard. Real difference in the bullet diameter of course.
I've loaded my .280's hotter, but it's not necessary.

People have different statures, and find different barrel lengths comfortable for hunting. I personally find the blast from the "high Pressure" rounds more annoying in shorter barrels, but they are certainly handy for pushing bush, or stalking in close cover.

I remember seeing a used #1 at a show, with a 20" .270 barrel, and I just shook my head.

Our winter has been quite mild, with very few truly cold spells of limited duration.

No Glue here

Last edited by 338Rules; 02/05/16.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well, you could always get a MRC at about 4 pounds heavier than what you want.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Absolutely! Stainless, tight twist, featherweight contour, 22 inches...I'd buy one.

Last edited by RevMike; 02/05/16.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Absolutely! Stainless, tight twist, featherweight contour, 22 inches...I'd buy one.
Great minds...well except the tight twist part,but other than that. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
European twist - 1:220mm (1:866 in). That's the twist in my M98. It shoots the 175s pretty well.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Gotcha.

Great minds Rev. That should scare the beejeebers out of you that we think alike. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Calling a 270 "high pressure" is like calling a 15 round pistol magazine "high capacity". Its not the 270s fault that it was loaded to standard pressure when the 280 wasn't.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gotcha.

Great minds Rev. That should scare the beejeebers out of you that we think alike. grin

Not in the least!! And I'll take mine in the old Ribgy configuration, thanks....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Mine would be in the Winchester Featherweight configuration. With either a Leupold 4x or 6x36 mounted.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Actually I was talking about the cartridge, but we're still on the same page.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 11 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,189
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.