Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I would rather try to appear non threatening.

You're too big and strong for that approach

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
From a predatory standpoint, I walked into a store to see a gallute leaning over the counter with his OC hip stuck out behind him proudly displaying his 357 holstered revolver, were I robbing the place, yes, BOOM to the back of his head immediately followed by this is a robbery announcement.

Can't see drawing that kind of attention, also remember seeing a man in WMart last fall over in Arkansas, I stopped there to buy an out of state hunting license, followed the idiot out the doors and across the parking lot strutting like a banty rooster, arms out, boots polished to a high shine, chrome shades on looking around like he was part of an active spike squad. crazy

Trump Won!
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Originally Posted by Uglydog2
I am in agreement with Farnam. I see open carry of a firearm much like walking around with a Rolex watch or other valuable baubles in plain view. It will get a lot of attention

I've worn a Submariner daily since May of 87 and never ever has it drawn negative attention and I live in the biggest criminal $hit hole in America.......I do agree with you about open carry!!

I had to look up the Rolex site as I am not familiar with them other than the two friends I had who had them. Theirs looked like the Pearl Master and the one "donated" three of them before we lost touch in the 80's. It probably didn't help that he was approached by solicitors outside normal business hours either.

I was fortunate to go to a fairly prestigious high school but many tihere lived well above my means. It was fun at times, humbling, and even embarrassing at others.

The Submariner appears rather subdued compared to what I was thinking of. I can see it going unnoticed with the majority of the populace. No disrespect but to my unpracticed eye it doesn't appear to be greatly different than the Timex and Cassio watches I wear. Actually holding one would be a sure give away but mere appearances can be deceiving, especially if the one is understating itself.

I don't like to stand out in a crowd, too many times it seems to result in unwanted attention. Blend in and make yourself known when you want, if you want, is my desire.

Another reason I am against open carry is it gives those around me a degree of protection as there is an armed person in the vicinity. As most of these people will not reciprocate to others by arming themselves, then why should they receive my protection? I'll do what I can to help others but those who expect help when needed but refuse to help others in return can go to he!!.

G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago for the SHOT show and decided to go to the Clark County Shooting Grounds to shoot a round of sporting clays. On the way, I stopped to get some gas and a car wash at a fairly crowded, large convenient-store-QT-type place. A new BMW pulled in behind me in at the gas pumps and a large black guy gets out and starts filling his car with gas. He's well groomed and nicely dressed and wearing what looks to be a Glock (19ish sized) in a Kydex holster. Nobody, myself included, cared…..I was aware, but neither alarmed nor frightened (had he been wearing saggy pants with his U-trou showing and a "hands up, can't breathe" shirt it would have been a whole different story)……while I agree that most people are oblivious, that's not the point…….nobody's going to try to disarm someone that looks like Mean Joe Greene who's OC; nor will they try to disarm any of the manly-type guys that frequent this blog (smiley, sarcastic emoticon inserted here).

However this gal:
[Linked Image]
….walking around with a 1911 with the hammer down, is a prime candidate for a non-governement sponsored "Fast and Furious" operation.

This guy:
[Linked Image]
….may be a deep-dark-ninja-of-death, but he profiles like Alfred E. Neuman wearing a "kick me" sign on his back.

My original point was not that you're going to alarm hoplophobes, or be the first one shot in a robbery (I don't care about the former and don't believe the latter)-----the point is that for a large portion of the population, OC makes you a walking supply chain for even a moderately skilled thug looking to arm themselves. Probably not an issue for anyone reading this, but probably is an issue for our wives/significant others/older parents, etc.
JMO-of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm content to be one of the unnoticed. I've no objections to OC for those who desire to do so but I'm happy to be that bald, 50 something guy quietly going about his business, well armed but concealed.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

String-bean there, in the red polo shirt, looks like any number of guys I've seen working the counter in a gun store. In which case, he's right in his natural environment with that big-ass 1911.

Last edited by tjm10025; 02/07/16. Reason: grammar and spelling
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by mart
I'm content to be one of the unnoticed. I've no objections to OC for those who desire to do so but I'm happy to be that bald, 50 something guy quietly going about his business, well armed but concealed.

That's what I've been trying to say in all my incoherent rambling Mart. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love when people open carry. It makes THEM the center of attention.

In a permissive or non-permissive enviroment it is sterile and grey all the way.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Florida Legislature is considering a bill to allow open carry.

If it passes--ok.

I will not open carry-- may as well wear a shirt that says---shoot me first!
Yes, they are considering such a bill. I hope it passes. Not that I intend to open carry, but why have a mode of carry that gives cops the chance to arrest you?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm with Gunner; carrying open just says "shoot me first" to bad guys with whom you just happen to be in the Stop-n-Rob they have decided to rob that day.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the open carry folks want to take one on the chin for the rest of us, more power to 'em.

My personal well-being is due in part to bad guys evaluating me and the crowd around me and figuring someone is packing and the risk isn't worth it. Toss in a number of open carry folks and the density must sure seem to take a jump.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes, they are considering such a bill. I hope it passes. Not that I intend to open carry, but why have a mode of carry that gives cops the chance to arrest you?

For all that is Holy TRH, you are as dense as iron wood. If the cops want to arrest you, you will be arrested or shot, resisting arrest with deadly force. You've posted some real doozies over the years. This one has to be in the top three. Give that propeller on your tin-foil beanie a twirl and hope LE never comes after you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This guy wasnt open carrying, but was not discreet in his concealed carry.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/23/gun-stolen-from-cwp-holder-during-walmart-bathroom-assault/

Keep your eye on the fruit........
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I understand that open carry can deter crime by its mere presence but I prefer to have the advantage of surprise that concealed carry offers.

Also as I read through the answers here they are highly dependent on your demographics. If I was still bouncing around in Montana I probably would be far less concerned about open carry but while in Portland last weekend it would have caused more problems than it would have been worth.

The only time I run open carry is when I am hiking.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

For all that is Holy TRH, you are as dense as iron wood. If the cops want to arrest you, you will be arrested or shot, resisting arrest with deadly force. You've posted some real doozies over the years. This one has to be in the top three. Give that propeller on your tin-foil beanie a twirl and hope LE never comes after you.
Are you capable of disagreeing without being an ass? The gun owning nation is split on this issue, and there are all kinds of opinions that fall somewhere in the middle. If you have an opinion, and disagree with another, simply make your argument. No need to lower the tone for the entire thread.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 257Deland

I've worn a Submariner daily since May of 87 and never ever has it drawn negative attention and I live in the biggest criminal $hit hole in America......
Chicago? Or North Murderapolis??

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
My personal well-being is due in part to bad guys evaluating me and the crowd around me and figuring someone is packing and the risk isn't worth it. Toss in a number of open carry folks and the density must sure seem to take a jump.

So if a bad guy thinks you might be carrying, you're safer. But if a bad guy knows you're carrying, you're not safer.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by JOG

So if a bad guy thinks you might be carrying, you're safer. But if a bad guy knows you're carrying, you're not safer.

Nope, if a bad guy thinks I might me and sees that guy is for sure, we're all safer.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I understand that open carry can deter crime by its mere presence but I prefer to have the advantage of surprise that concealed carry offers.

Also as I read through the answers here they are highly dependent on your demographics. If I was still bouncing around in Montana I probably would be far less concerned about open carry but while in Portland last weekend it would have caused more problems than it would have been worth.

When enough people open carry it will be excepted and no associated concerns/problems

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
gmoats Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
...Also as I read through the answers here they are highly dependent on your demographics. If I was still bouncing around in Montana I probably would be far less concerned about open carry but while in Portland last weekend it would have caused more problems than it would have been worth.

+1……location plays a big role…..I know that everyone's situation and experience is different ("you're unique…..just like everyone else"), but the people that I've seen open carrying in the city remind me of these Stolen Valor guys:
[Linked Image]

...I just can't buy the intimidation factor of open carry as almost all of the guys that I've seen appear to be wannabes trying to either be something that they're not or trying to make some kind of political point.

There is one exception that I'm aware though……..I don't how many of you know (remember?) who Ross Seyfried is, he's kind of faded from the shooting arena in past few years….he told me a story about driving from his ranch near Roggen in to Aurora (Colorado) to shoot an IPSC match……he normally carried on his ranch and had the habit of putting on his match gear and equipment at home prior to leaving for the match. (for the record, he wore a Sparks #1AT and carried a Pachmayr Combat Special). Prior to getting on the freeway, he had to traverse a stretch of rolling county highway. He was on that back road on his way to a match one day, when a car of Hispanics passed him with their windows down, cat calling, etc. at him as they passed. When he got to top of the next hill, they had stopped their car blocking the highway and were standing around the car waiting for him…….he came to a stop, opened the door and stepped out, fully regaled in his IPSC competition gear and said, "do you guys want to discuss Colorado driving laws?" They suddenly remembered a pressing engagement elsewhere and beat a hasty retreat. Apparently in his case, open carry was intimidating enough to work although one can't help but ponder the incredible bad Karma those latin fellows were experiencing by picking Ross to mess with.

I know that looks are deceiving, however, I've never seen anybody like Seyfried open carrying…..most look like Barney Fife.

Last edited by gmoats; 02/10/16.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,720
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.