Campfire Regular
G
Here's today's dtiquip from John Farnam:

“Open” Carry

The State of TX has recently authorized “open” (exposed) carry of guns
within the state. Lots of details yet to be worked-out, but the legislation
has gone through. AZ and some other states have technically permitted the
practice for some time. And, even in states where there is no specific
legislation, the practice is commonly noted in some areas.

My advice to students is not to carry openly. When open carry becomes
common, even expected, I may join in. Until then, I’ll leave the practice to
those far more in need of fame and recognition than me!

To me, it is similar to wearing a T-shirt proclaiming your particular
political party. Why do you think everyone who sees you needs to know that?
How does that benefit you?

My personal philosophy of appearing in public revolves around always
projecting a low profile. I don’t think it is in my best interests for me to
inadvertently, nor intentionally, broadcast important information about
myself, information that is no one else’s business!

So, I discretely carry concealed. I am always heavily armed, to be sure,
but you can’t tell by looking, nor do I talk about guns, politics, travel
plans, et al with people I don’t know. Precious few people have a
legitimate need to know any of that!

I do my best to be courteous, polite, and pleasant with everyone, but never
chatty with people I don’t know. I don’t want to appear “interesting”
nor “beauteous” while in public. I just quietly go my way and conduct my
business without fanfare. I believe that philosophy adequately represents
my best interests.

Be a “stand-out” when you are so inclined. Just be prepared to garner
far more “attention” than you ever wanted!

/John

Those of you who have spent much time around John may question his ability to be "low profile" but his sentiment is clear.

Here in Wyoming, other than in dowtown Jackson and on campus at the UofW, open carry prompts more interest in "what" you're carrying than "that" you're carrying……still it's one of those issues that seems good legally but bad practice. 34 years ago I worked for Bianchi Gunleather and one of our greatest concerns was handgun retention (building holsters that were "draw-proof" to anyone other than the one wearing the holster). I'm guessing that 99.9% of the non-LEO gun carriers have never had a class/practice on weapon retention. They're a gunshop-on-the-hoof for a potential perp needing to arm themselves quickly if they are open-carrying.

Regarding the "need for recognition," it kind of ties back in to the discussion of the "Cowboy" vs the "Tactard" LEO outfits…..the older I get, the more I find the truth in Lao Tzu quote, "those that know not talk and those that talk do not know."………well, I've talked too much…...

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I am in agreement with Farnam. I see open carry of a firearm much like walking around with a Rolex watch or other valuable baubles in plain view. It will get a lot of attention and some of it will be less than desirable.

that attention would not only be from potential thugs but also police officers if they were called for a "man with gun". Some people would call due to fear or concern, others would call for sheer cussedness. Either way, the possibility of problems outweighs any positive factor I can see to open carry.

And there is the retention issue too. It sits rather low in my eyes but then concealed carry mitigates some parts of that. I tend to think of retention more often when talking carry issues with women as so many plan to keep their gun in their purse. Not quite the same but it is a retention issue.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My dad and my mom wear a Rolex daily. I wear my Trump shirt once a week. While I do not open carry, I could not give two fugks if people do.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I open carry in the field, not in town. Not smart to stand out in a crowd. I'm all for open carry and if that's what you want to do then more power to you. But I would much rather carry concealed and not stand out or make myself a target.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could walk around with a parrot on my shoulder and 95% of people would never notice.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While there are a few guys around here who open carry looking like Longmire without the badge or a guy who works a ranch for real and doesn’t need no stinking gun to pound a human into the dirt, way more open carriers look like total tools with BDU pants, wilderness instructor belts, clip knives, and gun logo and/or conservative Amuriken slogan shirts and hats. It’s not like you wouldn’t figure they were carrying anyway. What does change with the open carry is my propensity to look over the tacticool guys and think “I bet I could get that gun and put it where the sun doesn’t shine before he knows what hit him.” I bet I am not alone in that thought process. At least I don’t have the need or desire to test it.

The proxemics of everyday life make it really hard for a guy walking around Walmart to maintain a good reactionary gap without being extremely rude or threatening people. Even the people who wouldn’t notice a parrot on a guy’s shoulder will still creep into his personal space in the tailored spandex section or the checkout line. I also notice that a lot of kids with sub-optimal parenting have a tendency to reach and grab for guns when they see them.

If somebody wants to do it, though, it's their right.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/05/16. Reason: typo

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Florida Legislature is considering a bill to allow open carry.

If it passes--ok.

I will not open carry-- may as well wear a shirt that says---shoot me first!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I strongly support the right to open carry, I don't see the need for me to do it............yet.

I prefer to follow the low profile route & hope that if I ever need the weapon in a social intercourse situation, a little bit of surprise might be a small edge.

MM

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kentucky is an open carry state. You will occasionally run up on people who opt to carry their sidearms openly.

We get complaints at post every once in awhile from yankees who are driving through.

"Please send a Trooper. We are getting gas at the truck stop and there is a man pumping gas beside us, and he is wearing a gun."

Is he pointing the gun at you?

No, but he has it on his belt.

Lady, this is Kentucky. Everybody has a gun.

If you see him point it, or waive it around, call us back.

Click.

Now, on the flip side, if a real evil doer is afoot, he'll bump off the open carry guy and give me time to put a plan together.

I'm alright with the open carry folks myself.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odd. I live in an OC state where CC is legal. Folks OC all the time; I see at least a dozen (and not always the same people) daily, often more. No one gives a schit.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Is he pointing the gun at you?

No, but he has it on his belt.

Lady, this is Kentucky. Everybody has a gun.

If you see him point it, or waive it around, call us back.

Click.

TFF. What most here apparently don't understand, is the open carry movement took off after local PD's disarmed citizens carrying openly during the ensuing riots after Katrina, charged with "brandishing".

Some libtard communities had also prosecuted CC'ers who allowed a handgun to be inadvertantly exposed reaching for something on an upper shelf in a store.

I agree that the wise falcon hides his talons, but options come in handy, and anything that restricts officer friendly from being able to dick with me is a positive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Odd. I live in an OC state where CC is legal. Folks OC all the time; I see at least a dozen (and not always the same people) daily, often more. No one gives a schit.

Impossible. You'll be gunned down immediately upon leaving your home if you OC. I read it here. Over and over and over again.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uglydog2
I am in agreement with Farnam. I see open carry of a firearm much like walking around with a Rolex watch or other valuable baubles in plain view. It will get a lot of attention

I've worn a Submariner daily since May of 87 and never ever has it drawn negative attention and I live in the biggest criminal $hit hole in America.......I do agree with you about open carry!!

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 4ager

Impossible. You'll be gunned down immediately upon leaving your home if you OC. I read it here. Over and over and over again.

Survived today OC, and will do so again. Hell, tomorrow's "adventures" include the f'king grocery store (again) while going OC (again). I tremble at the prospect of encounters with soccer moms, grannies, and college students while OC (again).

Truthfully, no one gives a f'k.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
but the legislation
has gone through. AZ and some other states have technically permitted the
practice for some time. And, even in states where there is no specific
legislation, the practice is commonly noted in some areas.

"technically in arizona? the right to bear arms is written into the state constitution so since aroun 1911 or so, there is no "technical" about it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Most people are too wrapped up in their I phones to notice a bus driving down the sidewalk ket alone an open carrier

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by deflave
My dad and my mom wear a Rolex daily. I wear my Trump shirt once a week. While I do not open carry, I could not give two fugks if people do.

Dave

Me either, but until everyone or at least half the folks carry open, I wont, no need to be the first fugger shot in the back of the head. grin

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Me either, but until everyone or at least half the folks carry open, I wont, no need to be the first fugger shot in the back of the head. grin

Surely you don't buy it that BS of being shot first. Most likely no one will screw with someone they know are armed.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would rather try to appear non threatening.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.