Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am glad I didn't dump all of the fat. Rendered some today. Looking forward to making some biscuits and pastry. May even try frying some eggs with it. I dig using as much of the bear as I can. We love the meat. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Make a pie crust with it and mail me one!

Pls report back as you go.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I appreciate the tip! It came out great. My wife loves to cook and bake so we are looking forward to trying it.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sako-, I've read of your NC bears. Do you have a good population and why do some seem to grow so very big? Good feed, cover, genetics? What's the story there? Thanks.

Nice job! A real trophy animal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
George,lots of bears especially on the coastal plain. Population has been increasing and spreading. Farms are abundant with corn, soybeans and peanuts. There is extensive dense cover (called pocosins and bays) in addition to designated "bear sanctuary's" where no hunting is allowed. We grow some big bears (actually fat bears) but that doesn't automatically make them book bears by measurement.

Hound hunting is by far the most successful way to kill one, but in the right situation stand hunting works too. Up until recently there was no baiting (see a previous post in this thread).

Hey, did you ever shoot that old Win 94 .30-30 that I sold you a few years back? I wish I would have kept it! Great bear rifle when hunting over hounds.

Here is a picture my buddy sent me from the first half of the season. My son and I hunted with him last week with his hounds. Maybe the most fun hunt we ever had. Definitely going to hunt with him again.

[Linked Image]

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow, what a nice bear! I would hate to bump into that guy in the middle of the night while taking a pee.

Congratulations on a nice trophy and a great hunt.

(Although, bear meat isn't something I hunger for, shooting one is always a thrill.)

BH63

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do the bear lard anytime I have a chance. It is fantastic to cook with, you'll be glad you did. And that pic of the buck with the 3 bears is great. Those look like 3 big bruins.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Hey, did you ever shoot that old Win 94 .30-30 that I sold you a few years back? I wish I would have kept it! Great bear rifle when hunting over hounds.

I not only didn't shoot it, I sold it almost immediately to a local non-Hunter, non-gun guy who just wanted a Win 94 30-30 in a fairly serious way. But it was a very nice piece Sako- and I thank you. But like you, I wish I would have kept it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
George,lots of bears especially on the coastal plain. Population has been increasing and spreading. Farms are abundant with corn, soybeans and peanuts. There is extensive dense cover (called pocosins and bays) in addition to designated "bear sanctuary's" where no hunting is allowed. We grow some big bears (actually fat bears) but that doesn't automatically make them book bears by measurement.

Hound hunting is by far the most successful way to kill one, but in the right situation stand hunting works too. Up until recently there was no baiting (see a previous post in this thread).

Here is a picture my buddy sent me from the first half of the season. My son and I hunted with him last week with his hounds. Maybe the most fun hunt we ever had. Definitely going to hunt with him again.

[Linked Image]

Wow! Nice critters!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine bears and great whitetail too!

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very nice, congrats!

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice bear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics and beauty of a bear.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Seriously fantastic bear; I NEED a monster like that!

Cool rig too!

Weird how the unstoppable get stopped on occasion eh? I bet that bullet/cartridge combo could penetrate a concrete bunker!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great bear, Congrats!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That is heckuva bear! I spent some time trying for a big blackie in Quebec. Got a few but none like that. Congrats!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sakoluvr, you're one heck of a hunter!

Congrats!

Y
yhc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Wow congratulations!! I didn't realize NC has such big black bears! It's a trophy worthy for sure.

BTW: Nice set up for weighing and skinning your critters.

Regards,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats. Hunting with hounds sounds a lot easier than it really is. Doing it out west you had better be in shape!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 338rcm, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 12 invisible), 1,379 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,286
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.