Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Naturally for me it is Wyoming, and I will extend the offer of advice and what help I can give if you draw a Fremont county tag. Good luck!

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good advice from DocRocket but better still don't gut them at all. No need to, just bone or quarter them. Meat cools quicker that way also.

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted antelopes in SD several times but always looking to expand my opportunities. How does one find landowners that charge an access fee? Many Google searches and WGAF searching have accomplished nothing. I would prefer to hunt areas with easy to get tags where I have to pay an access fee rather than wait a few years. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will print all the replies. Thanks for taking the time!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
PM sent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whats a good gps that works with readily avialable chips. Garmin??

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
New Mexico drawing odds for NR's are extremely low unless you book with an outfitter and apply for a tag in the outfitter pool.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Whats a good gps that works with readily avialable chips. Garmin??

Check out the OnXMaps web site. They have em for different brands of GPS but also downloadable content to use on your smartphone. Pretty nifty product from that standpoint but indispensable in the field.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by boltgunjim
New Mexico drawing odds for NR's are extremely low unless you book with an outfitter and apply for a tag in the outfitter pool.

The odds aren't good, no matter who's putting in for them. You're better off buying a landowner permit.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sakoluvr: I have Hunted Antelope every year since the late 60's and often in two states each year.
I have Hunted in both Wyoming and Montana.
Eastern Montana is bouncing back from some rare low ebbs in population of Antelope - Wyoming is fairing better of recent also.
So either state for applying for tags is commendable.
Don't forget to put in for the "Bonus Point" program in Montana if you apply there.
I am hopeful you will get your tags.
Some "long since learned" advice:
#1: You MUST (as a newcomer) be there to Hunt on the Antelope seasons opening day!
#2: Show up 2+ days before the season opener to scout and observe movement of the Antelope in your area/Hunting spot.
#3: Get up early opening morning and approach your chosen scouted animals with the rising sun at YOUR back.
#4: Dittos at sun set use the sun to your advantage and approach your quarry with the sun at YOUR back and in their eyes.
#5: Buy and practice with a Harris bi-pod.
#6: Don't shoot AT running Antelope - they are faster than you are familiar with.
#7: Get, practice with and use a rangefinder.
#8: Memorize your bullets trajectory out to 450 yards or so.
#9: Don't be intimidated by what appears to be Antelope "miles" away - in the relatively flat terrain of much of Montana and Wyoming you can cover distance easily and relatively quickly and eventually stalk closely if your approach is careful.
#10: Have some ice blocks in plastic wrap ready to place in the Antelopes chest cavity once one is brought to bag - cooling Antelope quickly enhances the flavor. Game processing locations are often "distant".
#11: Bring your spotting scope for horn assessment (are they Bucks?).
#12: Cameras are mandatory for game, scenery and sunrise/sunset pics.
Good luck, have fun and drive carefully.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

L
L
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I am looking at doing this same type hunt to break me in out west. I have been doing a lot of long distance scouting with google earth and some websites. One website I am really digging right now is the DIYhuntingmaps site. Lots of good info in there.

I will add I am looking at areas where I could do a combo mulie/pronghorn hunt.

Good luck and happy hunting!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Lots of public land in Wyoming to hunt on. West of Casper is area 75. Should be able to draw. Stay of the ridge tops. The longest I've shot an antelope is 75 yards cause all I hunt them with is a 45 sixgun. If you work at our, they are not to difficult to get close to. That's part of the hunt...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.