Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gentlemen,
I came across the rifle listed below the other day and decided I had to have it. There are no what a deals I am afraid, however, it has a good pedigree. The detail work is unreal. That they surface ground the name and serial number off to properly reinscribe them was impressive. I thought about having it fitted with an Echol's Legend for actual hunting but I may just leave this in the stock and let Mark build another for actual field use... God Speed Allen...

Best Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

[Linked Image]

http://www.hallowellco.com/Mark%20Penrod%20+%20James%20Tucker%20Custom%20Winchester%20Model%2070.htm

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wowza,
I'd call that perfection, congrats to you...enjoy.
Thanks for sharing the pictures and please keep us posted...a treasure for sure.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Who?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lovely rifle Matt!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If it belonged to the phenomenal man that we know of as Allen Day, it is a true masterpiece. Given Penrod did some of the work is a true testament to the quality smith that Allen would seek out.

This said, Allen would have maybe used it for Mule Deer. In his later years, Allen much preferred a true working man's rifle and settled in D'Arcy Echols to create most of his rifles. While this purchase may have been somewhat of a 'safequeen'; I agree that with a fiberglass stock this rifle is ready to hunt and then some! smile

Congratulations on a wonderful rifle and thanks to the wonderful man that had this rifle commissioned.

Rest in peace and may this rifle continue Allen's legacy and be hunted hard!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Matt, how do you know it was Allen's?

Thanks.

Phenomenal rifle!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Amazing...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Beautiful rifle.

I won't say it...

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bet a quick way to check would be to give Penrod a call and share this photo with him; he'd remember a rifle like that.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
Well I was asking Mark if the J M Penrod was him, as opposed to Mark Penrod Gunmaker, at that point the AD clicked as Allen Day. I asked Mark and he of course said it was Allen's rifle...

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the kind commentary.

Regards, Matt.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I should note that I have no idea if this was Allen's "last" Custom .270 Winchester. There reason I said that was Mark said Allen hunted with the rifle or had every intention of hunting with the rifle. I was taking up Mark's time when he could have been working for paying customers and I did not want to abuse that privilege. Hence the reason I did not ask for anything beyond the basic facts. He also would not give me advice on buying the rifle or not, however, he did tell me what it would take to replicate in today's market. Understand I did not buy it because it was Allen's rifle. I bought because it came as close to being perfect to what I would have requested had I known what to request.. I still don't care for the scope mounts, custom or otherwise. The bolt also seems to cry out for jeweling which Mark has agreed to take on.. I hate to even think about it, however, I need a slightly shorter LOP. Not to mention a Galazan reproduction Winchester pad or possibly a real Silvers Pad covered in leather. I would send it back to the stock maker for the work...

I see a Murray A-1 Quickset Sling and a Schmidt Bender 2.5-10x40 Summit with a 4a Reticle... That said all that in good time. Nothing available on the market except Norma Brass. Worse choices to have to make...

I hope the deal goes through without a hitch...

Regards, Matt.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
WOW!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Nothing available on the market except Norma Brass. Worse choices to have to make...

FWIW, midwayusa has Winchester, Hornady, Nosler, and Norma 270 brass on sale and in stock.

I would go with the Hornady.

Uber fancy rifle!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is stunning! Good luck with it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Beautiful rifle. Thank you for sharing...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Matt, somehow I missed that part in the description; "gold oval bearing script initials AD"... what a great rifle, and exactly something Allen would have had built.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So you dont like the bolt, rings/bases, recoil pad, and the length of pull is wrong.,And you might have to put it in a different stock before you'd want to hunt with it. Certainly does sound like your dream rifle... whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
So you dont like the bolt, rings/bases, recoil pad, and the length of pull is wrong.,And you might have to put it in a different stock before you'd want to hunt with it. Certainly does sound like your dream rifle... whistle

There's always one...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just using logic, not emotion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just using logic, not emotion.

But no manners, which trumps either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 71 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.