Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I may be the exception to the rule but I prefer a full size gun to a compact model for concealed carry use.

I do not like the small guns like the Kel-Tec or LCP .380's at all. They just feel too awkward to me and are much harder for me to shoot well with.

I shoot better and guns like a 1911, HP, Glock, or Springfield XD.

I have also never had any problems concealing the larger guns but that may be largely due to physical size/frame.

Anybody else the same way or am I just "special" ( watch the wise ass stuff please. I am very sensitive whistle )?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you explain the important criteria right. I had a friend who carired a PPK for years whose hand was so large he could not effectively use it. But he was affected by James Bond.

So the ability to use it would trump it being a fashion accessory (which more carry for this reason than you think). If it doesn't drag your pants down or get in the way of getting it out, what is the difference?

Now for an ankle gun, I would say no.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The Micro 380's such as the Kel-Tec and LCP make great #2 or #3 guns.

If your frame and mode of dress will allow you to conceal a bigger gun, and you shoot that gun better, then by all means, carry the bigger gun.

I've never met anyone who made it through a gun scrape that in hindsight wished they had been carrying a smaller gun.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There are a lot of guns in between a 5" steel 1911 and micro 380. Quite a few combine good amount of capacity and shoot-ability with something that's pretty easy to conceal and won't wear a hole in your hip.

Peoples habits and their dress vary considerably. What a person wears Oct through march is lot different than what they want to wear in July. Nothing wrong with having 2 ( or more) guns in your CCW battery and adjusting accordingly.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fat people have a lot more options than skinny people when it comes to concealing a pistol, especially in the warmer months. My Kahr is much easier to conceal on my body than my full size Glocks, 1911 and M&P are. Lately I have been carrying my Springfield XD 9 MM Compact.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I carry a S&W 1911 ES, that's the scandium frame model with a commander slide and an officers frame. I also can't shoot the mini-guns well enough to be confident. But I'm 6'1" and 220, so I can get away with carrying it. For summer shorts/t-shirt carry, it's a bit much, so I carry a Kahr CW9 in a Crossbreed. that conceals very well and the frame is large enough for me to control. I tried an LC9 for a bit, but it felt toylike. I generally try to carry the biggest gun I can comfortably carry, with a good chance at concealing it well.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't shoot either size well so I have more options than most. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
In Florida, it's sometimes difficult to conceal a full sized weapon. Shorts and a tee shirt don't leave many places to hide a 1911.
Much of the time, I go with a pocket sized pistol, like a J Frame Smith, or a smaller semi auto, such as my XDS .45 auto.
Nice days like today, with some wind and cooler temps, yeah, I'll take something bigger. Today it will be a Glock 19.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I may be the exception to the rule but I prefer a full size gun to a compact model for concealed carry use.

I do not like the small guns like the Kel-Tec or LCP .380's at all. They just feel too awkward to me and are much harder for me to shoot well with.

I shoot better and guns like a 1911, HP, Glock, or Springfield XD.

I have also never had any problems concealing the larger guns but that may be largely due to physical size/frame.

Anybody else the same way or am I just "special" ( watch the wise ass stuff please. I am very sensitive whistle )?

HBB, you have hands the size of a decent ham; the micros aren't going to fit. As far as concealment, you ain't exactly "small framed" and (no offense) you ain't exactly "trim", either. If I have no problem carrying or concealing a FS 1911 or BHP, you sure as Hell shouldn't either.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
HBB, you have hands the size of a decent ham; the micros aren't going to fit. As far as concealment, you ain't exactly "small framed" and (no offense) you ain't exactly "trim", either. If I have no problem carrying or concealing a FS 1911 or BHP, you sure as Hell shouldn't either.

I am smaller than I used to be. I am now down to a svelte 245 lbs naked and 252 lbs fully clothed.

I look almost skinny grin

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just got a Glock 19. It seems to be a pretty good compromise for CCW. I don't shoot it as good as a full size 1911 or other FS handguns for rapid fire follow up shots and probably never will but good enough. I do a lot better with it than the 380 LCP or other sub compacts. At 21 oz unloaded it's not heavy and not that hard to conceal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thick is harder to hide than a bit of length. I carry a 1911 Commander length and no one has noticed yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I am smaller than I used to be. I am now down to a svelte 245 lbs naked and 252 lbs fully clothed.

hb, that's awesome, buddy! I remember when you told me you were going to start trying to lose some weight. Congratulations! Look forward to looking you up next time I'm up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

hb, that's awesome, buddy! I remember when you told me you were going to start trying to lose some weight. Congratulations! Look forward to looking you up next time I'm up.

Be great to see you too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a harder time with some small semi autos. I've been taking a young friend out shooting with me for a little over a year. He got his paperwork back for his CWP, but they're now making you come into an office to finalize here in FL, rather than through the mail.

Anyways, I went with him to pick up his first gun yesterday, a S&W M&P 40c .40 cal subcompact. It's a single stack 7 or 8 rd mag. Found the groove with it after a mag or 2. But, with my big paws, I don't shoot it anywhere near as well as my Kahrs. That S&W feels pretty tiny in my hands. Liking my new G19 a lot better.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No right or wrong answer, IMO. Just make sure you're carrying a gun of some sort. I have a few that I rotate between depending on my mood, weather, clothes, etc. Kel-Tec P3aT, G42, G26, Sig P239, Ruger LCR.

I carry the G42 the most because it fits my hand great, has been 100% reliable, and simply disappears. No matter what I'm carrying, I always carry at least one spare mag and/or a speed strip or two too.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you need that gun, odds are you will need it very badly. No toy guns for me. Learned that lession many years ago.
One needs to ask what he would give him confidence in a serious fight. E

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
If you need that gun, odds are you will need it very badly. No toy guns for me. Learned that lession many years ago.
One needs to ask what he would give him confidence in a serious fight. E

If I have my preferred choice in a fight it will be belt fed with lots of ammo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I have a harder time with some small semi autos. I've been taking a young friend out shooting with me for a little over a year. He got his paperwork back for his CWP, but they're now making you come into an office to finalize here in FL, rather than through the mail.

Anyways, I went with him to pick up his first gun yesterday, a S&W M&P 40c .40 cal subcompact. It's a single stack 7 or 8 rd mag. Found the groove with it after a mag or 2. But, with my big paws, I don't shoot it anywhere near as well as my Kahrs. That S&W feels pretty tiny in my hands. Liking my new G19 a lot better.

The Glock I really like and is fun to shoot is the G34 and I would like to lay hand on the G40 and G41 just to see how they feel.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I've got a gun in my hand - I like to feel like I've got a gun in my hand.

If it's too small for my hand - it's too small to carry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.