Campfire Regular
W
Regal Engineering, Orange MA

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by teal
I have a Renzetti Traveler 2200 - like it enough. Not looking to change anyway.

Have to admit tho - all I tie are glow bugs and the occasional Wooly Booger and some Zonker pike flies. Nothing huge or articulated.

Watching my son (Riley) tying buggers was what put me over the edge and made me get the Nor-Vise. I am no slouch for speed when tying, once was timed on a hundred Adams at 90 seconds per each... but Riley blew me out of the water.

My OCD is not for everyone! The Nor-Vise is the best vise to start on, IMO...

I got mine because it's what the guys at my LFS used/use and I wanted to be a bad assed fly guy like them.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
A couple years back I was wanting a new one, but could fine nothing manufactured in the US. Has that changed?

https://www.renzetti.com/index.php/vises-189/traveler-series are made in the US. I have the traveler and I've been very pleased with it even though I'm not as skilled as many here on actually using the rotary feature!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I've tied thousands of flies over 25 yrs and I wanted my own rotary one day. Your comments have been a great help. I really considered the Traveler (Orvis has them at 168.00), but, ended up with an Abel. It's well made, American, hefty, and easily changed from left to right hand. Plus, the makers, Steve and Gina, we're so accommodating. Please continue the tread - I've learned a lot from your experience and wisdom . . .
Mike

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Have to admit tho - all I tie are glow bugs and the occasional Wooly Booger and some Zonker pike flies. Nothing huge or articulated.

Watching my son (Riley) tying buggers was what put me over the edge and made me get the Nor-Vise. I am no slouch for speed when tying, once was timed on a hundred Adams at 90 seconds per each... but Riley blew me out of the water.

I got mine because it's what the guys at my LFS used/use and I wanted to be a bad assed fly guy like them.

Well, did it work? Are you bad assed?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Hey Sitka, Teal is "bad assed" not me! Maybe I'll be too . . . someday

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess you cannot be bad-assed until you can tie the Sex Dungeon, the Bitch Creek, and the Hemrhoidal Mouse...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I use a standard Regal for much of my tying. Also have and use the Renzetti Traveller rotary vise, mostly for smaller dry flies. Can't go wrong with either vise.

FWIW I still have, and occ. use my first vise, a Thompson A.
Had it since 1974 when I started tying.

F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Hey Sitka, how familiar are you with the queen of the waters, golden witch and, of coarse, the Montreal whore?

St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very familiar with all of the listed flies, and many, many more... I am far beyond the biggest tying whore you have ever heard of...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, did it work? Are you bad assed?

No.

Glo bugs mostly.

Honestly - I liked the vice and it works for what I do. I don't fly fish a ton but the guys at the LFS do and they've been garnering more attention from magazines and the like for their smallmouth guiding.

Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.