Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just ordered one after causing a crack in my second ALD short action walnut stock. crazy

Reviewing my stock choosing journey because, well I have a new toy on the way and like most who would be honest, just want to hear some reassurances. Thought I would share in case any one else is thinking about it. Tell me if you can relate.

First, I was set on going to semi customize an upgraded Boyds walnut. I KNOW I could use one safely but the voice in my ear cautioned what I would feel like if I did happen to ruin another.
That voice sounded a lot like my wife - actually, identical.

Since it is an ADL not a BDL, and short action not long, the choices are MUCH fewer.
  • McMillan and Brown were too pricy for me (and for that little voice)
  • I ended up dismissing Bansners because they seemed like a lot of after fitting would be needed
  • Excluded HS until I found them for over $80 cheaper than the $415 listed on the manufacturers sight
  • Began comparing HS against the only B and C options available for this config which is a non Medalsit , non Alaskan version.

I decided to call the vendor and ask how the two compared given the $80 cost diff. The guy could not have been better or more informative. I will happily recommend them but only via PM to be considerate to sponsors.

So, per him, the HS is stiffer. The B and C is fine and is lighter by a few ounces but they had some returned due to misaligned pillars. They are glued in place I guess and can set up canted I suppose. Despite some of what I read he said the HS was actually thinner and less clubby feeling particularly in the wrist (which jives with how my B and C feels). He said while the HS came with a bedding block I sounded like someone who would eventually want to skim bed it. I mentioned the B and C came with a decellerator pad. That was the one thing in their favor. He joked that the shop says HS calls theirs the ultra mag pad because it makes every caliber feel like an ultra mag!! Pretty funny. It might matter if this wasn't going on a pussy cat 6mm. The pad is glued on so it would take a little doing to replace. The B and C is rather slick while the HS more tactile exterior leant a higher quality impression.

I was surprised he said both stocks are lighter than walnut?? Midway had more colors available but added $30 and as it turns out I liked one of the two original choices best anyhow. I am paying a little under $350 delivered which seems like a good deal for an HS Precision. Ordered Thursday, scheduled for arrival Tuesday- though Monday looking possible.

Feel free to chime in. I hope this does someone some good - even if only relating to the process.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A buddy has one on his Krieger barreled Rem 700 .243 and likes it a lot. It's an absolute tackdriver, he was at my place ringing the 1000 yd gong at will with it three days ago. The gunsmith that built his rifle put the stock and barreled action in a vice then wiggled it with a dial indicator and said "no need to bed it, you're good", he was right. It has the aluminum bedding block but is the BDL version. Don't automatically assume that it HAS to be bedded, shoot it first and go from there.

I think you'll be happy with it, don't let the snobs tell you otherwise.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
kenjs1,

You have piqued my curiosity. I have this SPS 308 for my son and it has a take off stock on it and I am not too crazy about it. Looked at other stock options and I know mcmillians will cost over $500 and on midway they show HS Precision for $359 for a m700 short. Their Boyds Classic is $159. a whole 2 difference.

I have the VS version bull barrel and the stock has a wider forend. The rifle is probably 10 years old. do you know if the current HS Precision in Midway has a wider forend as well (that is has the stock changed from when they were on production VS rifles?)

And HS states no bedding is needed which works for me. Just plug up and go shoot!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I built the the rifle I call the "Lite", because it's kinda a Sendero Lite, I decided on the short-action version of the stock Rem spec's for the Sendero. After I got all the metalwork done I bolted it into the stock (perfect fit) and proceeded to shoot teensy tiny groups, all the time, every time. No skim bedding, no stock work of any kind. Love it.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh- be careful when removing the stupid damn hard rubber pad that H-S goes to all the trouble of grinding to fit then gluing to the stock. Heat will remove it but a little too much and you'll crack the paint. Axe me how I know this. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I also wanted to mention that on Midway's website they show the HS Precision with two sling studs but I see other HS stocks with one sling studs. I have a question on this. Are the two studs considered varmint stocks while the one stud considered sporter stocks? Does the two stud configuration have a wider forend? Maybe the two stud is a newer model stock?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was told that if I wanted to free-float a 700 that B&C wasn't an option, only HS. The HS I bought improved groups a little, not much, but it is noticeably heavier than the OEM stock. I'm not sure I would rebuy it if I could do it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got done free-floating a sporter M700 into a B&C Alaskan. Not sure wtf they meant. Did have to scrape and sand out the pressure point- took about 10 minutes.

One other HS caveat. If you are going varmint/Sendero profile, beware the palm swell version of that stock. Unless you like it I guess.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They meant drop in ready free-floating options.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The B&C Alaskan has a magnum barrel channel; that gives a very nice float with a sporter barrel. It's easy to take out the pressure point. Use a sharp cupped chisel, sand, hit it with a skin of epoxy just for drill, give that a quick sand if you feel like it.... done.

I got the version with the full aluminum chassis. Rifle dropped right in and shoots great, no muss no fuss.

The best part? $250.......

I'm sure there's better stocks. But the above is a good bang/buck solution.

Good luck I whatever you choose! Nothing like a new stock to perk up a rifle.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you would like to change to the BDL you can order the Remington floor plate and mag box form Brownells for about a hundred.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Valad, the second swivel in the front, I suspect, is for a bipod which would make sense in a varmint model. I am not getting that model but will let you know about the forend when it comes in. I kept hearing about a palm swell but the rep indicated otherwise.

Jeff O if I could have gotten the Alaskan I may have went B and C and saved a few bucks. The only 2 ADL short action options they gave me were a varmint model or what seemed a a sort of one off model #2952 which is pictured next to the Alaskan on their website.
Because of that I felt the HS was a more sure thing - that and I kind of want to try one just cuz at this point. I don't anticipate removing the recoil pad (is it really THAT bad ???) but will see. Thanks for the tip.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Valad - one more item, that $159 Boyds classic - was that walnut? I saw one advertised in laminate with checkering and a black fore end cap for that price. I was thiiiiiiis close to jumping on that one. I am not a hug e laminate lover (don't have anything really against it other than perhaps weight) but this was likely the most attractive laminate stock I ever saw. Seems like a winner.

. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been around several HS stocks and they seem to be tough. I dont like the feel of them as much as a Mcmillan MR or Classic but I feel they are worth the money. My buddy has a 25/06 that he is on the third barrel in the same HS stock.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Been around several HS stocks and they seem to be tough. I dont like the feel of them as much as a Mcmillan MR or Classic but I feel they are worth the money. My buddy has a 25/06 that he is on the third barrel in the same HS stock.

About the same here. McSwirly Classics are my favorite. BC is the biggest pile of schit on the planet.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
About fifteen years ago, I had a Remington 700 ADL in a walnut stock that consistently shot right around 1 inch MOA out of the box.

Because I started to hunt more and more on rainy days, I laid out some big money for a drop in, pillar bedded, aluminum blocked, HS Precision synthetic stock.

I installed the action in the stock, and sighted it in. The rifle consistently shot a lousy 1.75 inches MOA from that point on.

So much for "drop-in".

Mannyrock

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had a couple of the B&C Medalist ultralight hunting stocks. One for a Rem 700 (Alaskan Ti) and one for a Win Model 70. Both were easy drop ins with zero inletting required and were well centered with the barrel. I have another on order now.

I own a McM Edge, and a Bansner. Both are a little lighter (24 oz each vs 28 for the B&C) and a little nicer, but bang for the buck the B&C gives good value IME.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm sure your stock will serve you well. That being said I would have saved a few more pennies and gotten the McMillan. They are the gold standard for a reason...I've got several and love em. Just another opinion that's all.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannyrock
About fifteen years ago, I had a Remington 700 ADL in a walnut stock that consistently shot right around 1 inch MOA out of the box.

Because I started to hunt more and more on rainy days, I laid out some big money for a drop in, pillar bedded, aluminum blocked, HS Precision synthetic stock.

I installed the action in the stock, and sighted it in. The rifle consistently shot a lousy 1.75 inches MOA from that point on.

So much for "drop-in".

Mannyrock

Did you ever bed it or check contact?

. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.