Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Just a few questions to get some input.

I was discussing purchasing some top quality binoculars with a friend of mine and we we started talking about which manufacturer made the best quality binoculars, and who was second, third, etc.

I told him I thought the top three for binos (on the order of 8x32 size on up to 10x42 sizes or so) specifically for hunting purposes were Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss, not in any particular order. Now I know quality is subjective, but if you put it in terms of overall optical quality (lens coatings, brightness, sharpness, edge clarity) and ergonomics (how they fit in your hands, how easy to focus, how well they stay focused), which of these three manufacturers do you personally consider the best, second best, and third best?

Then, suppose you can't afford to go with these top three, which manufacturers do you consider to build the next best binos? Is it Minox, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, others?

Just to clarify, I'm no optics expert by any means and I don't want to debate with any of you. I'm just looking for your opinions to hopefully help me draw some of my own conclusions.

Thanks for your help.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My personal opinion, based on the criteria mentioned in your OP:
1. Swaro-edge to edge of swarovision is amazing
2. Meopta-world class glass and build quality, ergos not great though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by test1328
Just a few questions to get some input.

I was discussing purchasing some top quality binoculars with a friend of mine and we we started talking about which manufacturer made the best quality binoculars, and who was second, third, etc.

I told him I thought the top three for binos (on the order of 8x32 size on up to 10x42 sizes or so) specifically for hunting purposes were Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss, not in any particular order. Now I know quality is subjective, but if you put it in terms of overall optical quality (lens coatings, brightness, sharpness, edge clarity) and ergonomics (how they fit in your hands, how easy to focus, how well they stay focused), which of these three manufacturers do you personally consider the best, second best, and third best?

Then, suppose you can't afford to go with these top three, which manufacturers do you consider to build the next best binos? Is it Minox, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, others?

Just to clarify, I'm no optics expert by any means and I don't want to debate with any of you. I'm just looking for your opinions to hopefully help me draw some of my own conclusions.

Thanks for your help.

IME Swaro rules the SW... Leica and Zeiss are more appreciated everywhere else.

My opinion would have Leica a little ahead of Zeiss and Swaro pretty well back.

Minox and Vortex are very good glass for the money. I have examples of all of them and all are better than the best were even 20 years ago.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1. All around world class glass with a world class warranty...Swarovski SLC HD or swarovision. Sharpness is amazing.
2. Brightness--best there is....Zeiss HT, FL.
3. Ergos...Leica Ultra HD. Fabulous glass that feels great in the hands.

For second tier glass don't neglect Pentax.
Their DCF SP series and their best DCF ED series are all very popular on this forum. For their price point they are stellar.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by broomd

1. All around world class glass with a world class warranty...Swarovski SLC HD or swarovision. Sharpness is amazing.

I've found this to be spot on. I've owned all three, really can't go wrong with any. In hindsight I think I liked the HT's the best, they were amazing, but I couldn't easily mount them to my tripod with a bino adapter so down the road they went.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have Leica 10x42 purchased in 1993. I looked at Leupold Mojaves at SHOT and was impressed with them and bought a pair.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought Leica UV HD because they seemed like the lightest,and most compact of the alpha 10x42,even if only a bit.

I tried to make a distinction between them and Swaro EL, and Zeiss but really couldn't fault any of them.I'd have a hard time declaring any of the three as "best".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never owned alpha level binos, been more a middle of pack owner I guess. I've been very happy with a set of Minox that I had. Recently bought a set of Nikon Monarch 7, only used them for a week or so but so far so good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
best swarovski ergo warranty clarity
best Zeiss brightest out there didn't like feel on the one I owned
better Leica all around great except for tripod adaptable and warranty
next tier minox and meopta
vortex has great glass and warranty but not built well break easy
jmo

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Meopta pro HD for truck binoculars. They are very good glass but lack the pop of the alphas. For my eyes the Leica UV HD knock my socks off. I also have comparable 8x20 in swarovski and Leica, and for my eyes the leica has better chromatic clarity. Previously I was a Swarovski guy, but maybe my vision is shifting to Leica contrast? That is my opinion, and what my eyes like today. I think a guy needs time to decide. It would be great to rent or borrow glass.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Their DCF SP series and their best DCF ED series are all very popular on this forum. For their price point they are stellar.

+1.

As far as second tier, I would go as far as to say my Pentax DCF EDs are better than my older Leica BAs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have the Meopta pro HD for truck binoculars. They are very good glass but lack the pop of the alphas. For my eyes the Leica UV HD knock my socks off. I also have comparable 8x20 in swarovski and Leica, and for my eyes the leica has better chromatic clarity. Previously I was a Swarovski guy, but maybe my vision is shifting to Leica contrast? That is my opinion, and what my eyes like today. I think a guy needs time to decide. It would be great to rent or borrow glass.

Funny you mention borrowing good glass...

DaninAlaska had family visiting for a black bear hunt on his boat and they lacked good glass. On his way out of town he swung by my house in a rush to get to the Whittier tunnel. I was on the curb holding out four Alpha binos for them to grab for their hunt.

I guess the family was impressed...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1Nut

+1.

As far as second tier, I would go as far as to say my Pentax DCF EDs are better than my older Leica BAs.

That's just crazy talk! wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Lots of good choices out there. Glass has to fit the viewer. Some folks eyesight better fits one brand than another or one model than another. I have used swaro and leica. Love both but mostly use the swaro.. Don't feel like i give up much except $$$$ with swarovski products. None of the top end will disappoint you.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can't really classify the binoculars this way.

Yes Leica,Swarovski and Zeiss are tops.

There are two different styles of view available when it comes modern roof prism binoculars.

Flat field with sharp edges type view and classic type view with pincushion distortion added to the edges of the FOV.

Zeiss with their Victory SF and Swarovski with their Swarovision models are the top two with sharp edges. Leica does not offer a binocular with this type of view.

IMO the top binocular with the classic view would be the Zeiss Victory HT followed by the Leica Ultravid HD plus then the current Swarovski SLC.

Next down the line would be the discontinued previous top classic view models by Zeiss with their Victory FL. Leica with their Ultravid HD and Swarovski with their EL.

Following very close to these previous top classic view models would be an array of mid priced options. Zeiss Conquest HD, Leica Trinovid HD,Vortex Razor HD and the Meopta Meostar HD.

You may ask why not choose a flat field/sharp to edge view sytle of binocular? Google "rolling ball" or "globe effect" as it pertains to binoculars for your answer.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 02/06/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good: Swift Better: Pentax Best: Expensive European (pick one that's comfortable in your hands).

Search the forums in this website for comments about Swarovski/Leica/Zeiss waterproofing. A few years ago, there were complaints about fogging in extremely rainy places.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks all for your comments. I learned a lot about the mid-range binos and what to look for. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look through many binoculars yourself!

That's what the eye doctor does. They have US tell them what lens we see best with!

While I have used 'fancy' optics for half a century almost any that are not broken will help. I had my Hensoldt 8 X 56 Nacht Dialyt for a long time and others have worn out.

Right now I am looking at a squirrel in a tree across the street about 75 yds away with my latest toy and the Leupold 7/12 Switch Power binoculars can see it better at 12X than the 8/56's.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Arguably the best (optically) binoculars I have used are the Nikon Superior Es. I don't think they are still made. They are Porro prism binoculars and have one less prism per side. They weren't submersible waterproof, however.

The last time I was binocular shopping I looked at everything. I ended up buying Swarovskis as I felt they were the best view. My second choice was Leica which I felt were about the same as the Swarovskis but $500 more money for the same thing. I have carried my smaller ones more than 500 days in the field. I have never had a problem with them. I sent them in last year and had all new lenses put in them as time took its toll on them. I don't baby them and feel it is better to just replace the lenses when needed.

I replaced the objective lenses in my 15x56s the year before that. Much cheaper than a new set.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't see the squirrel either !

My Pentax 8x56 are better in low light where the the 7mm exit pupil pays off. The resolving power of the larger objective doesn't seem to exceed what higher quality lenses deliver. This is comparing to B&L 8x42 Elites.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,668
Posts18,455,952
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.