Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents,
You 12 ga = 12/70 argument makes so much sense, that I have included pictures of the barrel flats for your perusal:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, the hunt is on to find the proof date information!
And after some work with a good light and magnifying glass, here it is:
[Linked Image]
The number "159" stamped in fine numerals can be seen just above the last zero of "2100 FPS" and is vertical to the horizontal 2100 FPS. This number is under the right barrel flat and is the only such number that I found. Therefore, the proof date must be January 1959.
Please advise if my exuberance has again misled me. smile

Last edited by crshelton; 01/10/16.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That is one SPECIAL double... I'm a .405 guy and have only seen three for sale in person and none of this quality let alone have the option of a scope...

Great for you...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crshelton
Gents,
You 12 ga = 12/70 argument makes so much sense, that I have included pictures of the barrel flats for your perusal:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, the hunt is on to find the proof date information!
And after some work with a good light and magnifying glass, here it is:
[Linked Image]
The number "159" stamped in fine numerals can be seen just above the last zero of "2100 FPS" and is vertical to the horizontal 2100 FPS. This number is under the right barrel flat and is the only such number that I found. Therefore, the proof date must be January 1959.
Please advise if my exuberance has again misled me. smile

Pretty certain that you now have the correct date. Jan 1959.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Jeff. The builder of the gun agrees also.

RJM - I saw two Belgian made .405 doubles at the Wannamacher Gun show in Tulsa several years ago, but by the time I went back to make and offer, both were sold! They mere made on smaller actions and were very slim and beautiful, but I bet they kicked like Heck. My 10 pounder kicks less than my .308 and is a blast to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all for the kind comments.
BHG63 - My thoughts exactly!
Mule Deer - I am still breaking in the barrels and shot 12 rounds last Sunday afternoon. Here is the picture of the first shot at 50 yards from the right barrel from a bench rest and using Hornady 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps:

[Linked Image]

I am still getting used to the express sights and hope to do better when it is broken in. smile

Then I can work on hand loads.

That's a real beauty! cool

Slow the velocity down a little, or use a slightly heavier bullet, and you'll get the right barrel shooting more to the right and a little higher. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
RJM - I saw two Belgian made .405 doubles at the Wannamacher Gun show in Tulsa several years ago, but by the time I went back to make and offer, both were sold! They mere made on smaller actions and were very slim and beautiful, but I bet they kicked like Heck. My 10 pounder kicks less than my .308 and is a blast to shoot.

The two first I saw were unmarked Belgium made guns that had English style straight stocks and handled like a 20 ga. double gun...as you said...I bet they kicked... They were in an auction house in Farmeington, NH probably 10 years ago...both were under $10K. The third was at the Allenstown, Pa. Gun Show about three years ago. It was a beautiful cased gun much heavier than the other two...no scope that I remember....never asked the price as I really didn't want to know...all I knew is that it was too much.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm still looking for the perfect double rifle. It will probably be a BPE gun preferably with hammers. There is an Issac Hollis .500 BPE with hammers and a Jones underlever but I can't bring myself to spend $12K+ for it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
luv2 safari,
I slowed the velocity down to 2100 fps and things are much better. Only a couple inches out of the bulls eys at 100 yards now and will continue to fine tune the loads until all is perfect. Plenty good now for hunting hogs and will be doing that next Saturday.
With luck, I will soon have pix of actual game taken rather than just holes in paper targets! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.