Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Being from Maine, our laws require that we wear so much orange when deer hunting. All of my scent loc wear is camo. Does anyone make such a product for an orange cotton hat and half vest?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Scent lock does not work....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rost495

+1!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd order the Cabelas $9.99 orange fleece vest. Then, if you must don the logo to perfectly coordinate the ensemble; contact ScentLok for a sew-on patch - that combo will be every bit as effective. smile

Same for the hat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
andrews run down to Scarborough and grab what Cabela's has...don't sweat the ScentLok. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You don't have to have all scent control brand clothing. You could even get away with only wearing a base layer that has scent control. I wouldn't worry at all about the orange being a scent control brand clothing. Go to Cabelas or beans.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How does scent loc mask your breath or any exposed skin ?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Personally I think scent lock helps wiht the scent issues SOME.... but the problem is their noses are so good and they smell the bits and pieces that it doesn't help block so its worthless.

I've sat for years with out it. Stay clean, try to hunt the bow stuff for sure by wind direction, and no scent soap in clothes and such, and sometimes they go downwind and smell you and sometimes not.

Then we bought some of this BS scentlock. Had exactly the same results. maybe a few less smell us but probably in the big picture that was inside the odds.

The ultimate test are pigs.. they NEVER don't smell you if they go downwind. Same when we had scentlock.

And the dogs... every now and then one would slip away from the house... follow my rubber boot tracks and come right up to the tree/blind etc... I was in or under.... didn't matter stand or sitting a fence line etc... scent lock mattered not.

Its along about the time I decided that camo was about worthless on deer too.... only problem is finding non camo thats wind/water proof and quiet... generally don't find that...

I have not worn camo on purpose for years now..... but still some of the gear I want only comes camo so it is... plus it never hurts to have camo for bird hunting...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This x10k

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a little different in more open country,but here in New England even if the wind is prevailing from one direction it will eddy and swirl in the woods so it seems it's coming from every direction.

I was a little amazed that I killed my buck this year in Maine because I was making note just minutes before how badly it was swirling up and down the cut line. I figured everything in the neighborhood would scent me.

But stroll out he did on a doe trail into that long grass. Just another reminder that during the peak of the rut and on the move, they are gonna do what they are gonna do and I swear they don't give a crap.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the dogs... every now and then one would slip away from the house... follow my rubber boot tracks and come right up to the tree/blind etc... I was in or under.... didn't matter stand or sitting a fence line etc... scent lock mattered not.

Its along about the time I decided that camo was about worthless on deer too.... only problem is finding non camo thats wind/water proof and quiet... generally don't find that...

Lol! Mine will follow the ATV, and then the boots.

I really like this orange Carhartt coat:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1ACCOA/ref=twister_B00ISVAAI0

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RE camo...

I sat in a tripod the other week with my civil war musket to shoot a spike at home.

The tripod had good cover in October.... it has ZERO now... placed 12 steps from the feeder. A whopping 10 feet off the ground.

Climbed up with blue jeans and a dark blue long sleeve fire dept tshirt and a cap on . Probably my camo one with the lights in the bill...

Deer came out, and since I had the wind in my favor it was all good. They knew something was not quite right, but I still managed to put a .615 musket ball through the spike..white face hands and all...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An animal that can smell you from a mile away won't be fooled by Scentlock. It's as much of a gimmick as camo.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought a brand new scentlock suit a while back. i just love it. its very comfortable to wear. best thing about it was the price,they get like 250.00 for them at cabelas .i bought mine for 3.00. thats about all i'd pay for odor masking part of scentlock. as clothing its really well made camo. wash it in baking soda like the rest of my camo.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bought a fleece type Gander Mt vest about 10 years ago I put over my jacket while hunting. Most of the time I wear a wool coat and just put the vest over it.

It was under $20 for the vest.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if it does work, ya got to leave 'em somethin'.

It's hunting, not war. Except for turkeys. That's war.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/08/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Even if it does work, ya got to leave 'em somethin'.

It's hunting, not war. Except for turkeys. That's war.

LOL I hunted birds for quite a number of years and got bored with calling em in. Haven't missed it at all for some reason.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 23 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.