Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Brazos
The good ones are VERY accurate, ask any German who survived Stalingrad!

You can't. They were held in miserable conditions in POW camps in the USSR until 1955. At that point 95% were already dead.

I apologize. My example was insensitive.

Simply meant to point out that the Russians used these as sniper rifles.

Regards,
Bob.

No worries mate. laugh

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I owned one (a Finnish Sako), learned enough about it that I didn't care for it, and swapped it off. Even though it was rather accurate, that didn't compensate for its clumsy feeling and its agricultural design/finish. I figure myself to be above the intelligence level of the illiterate serfs they were designed for, with a more developed sense of aesthetics to boot. Just because they are/were cheap doesn't mean you have to run out and buy one.

Dang Dude, that's harsh. Oogly guns need love too. Most military rifles dated around 1891 were kinda ungainly.

Anybody have a pre-revolution or one of the American made ones? Wondering if either are finished better or run smoother. A lot of the US ones were crudely re-chambered to '06 for sale here after the Reds took over.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Timney makes an after market safety and trigger for them, but they arent cheap.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I played with one just enough to know I didn't want one, but they do seem to be somewhat popular out here. For about the same money, if I just want a fun noisemaker, I can buy an SKS which I like better. Also seems to be more plentiful and cheaper ammo for the SKS here, perhaps that is not the case everywhere. Local store here has a case of SKS and Mosin's that they have labeled "premium" or "select" or some such, and they actually do appear to be much nicer than the average, for about $60 more than a run of the mill specimen. Still not tempting enough to buy one though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't pay what they bring now either. For $100, including a couple hundred rounds of ammo, it was worth it for me. I'll shoot the ammo, then sell it or hang it.

That bayonet makes it great for chasing off Jehovahs Witnesses.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Because Tom Cruise is in there.

Well done...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i knew a guy that imported them from russian by the crate load and resold them to places like gander, dunhams, etc. i bought a 91/30 and 2 spam cans for $175. it was a beeotch to clean all the cosmoline or whatever that green schit was that it was dipped in. went through 2 or 3 cans of brake cleaner. it had the whole setup, bayonet, sling. i could never warm up to it. it was like a 2x4 with a barrel. horrendous trigger but it would hit a pie plate at 50 yards usually. i sold it a while back with most of the ammo for $325 and haven't missed it. my brother still has a half a dozen or so and a bunch of those clunky mosin revolvers.

along those lines i much prefer the jap arisaka in 6.5. ammo is more expensive though but mines a shooter.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Life is too short for ugly rifles with crappy triggers. Such rifles are too expensive for my taste, no matter how little they cost.

YMMV

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come on guys, their part of history. Think of Carlos popping that NVA sniper right through the PU90.

Good ones, like my rearsenaled 91/30, are very accurate (1.5 moa with Privi hunting ammo), trigger is long, smooth and about 5 pound w/no tuning. Soon will have a PU 90 on it. Fits in with my NM M-1, WW I original 03, clone 03A4, Swiss K31, Swiss 41 rimfire, last of the #4 Lees (1954), Swede/Finnish Mauser made M96 6.5x55 sniper clone and Dad's WWII 1911A1.

All guns are fun !

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned one for awhile. Mine was was almost accurate. The rifle simply did not fit me though. Worst stock design of any rifle I've ever shot. I'm a slow learner though and after the Mosin was gone I bought a M44. Man, talk a bout a flame thrower. It was fun to shoot at dusk just to watch the fireball it made.

IC B3

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Anybody have a pre-revolution or one of the American made ones? Wondering if either are finished better or run smoother. A lot of the US ones were crudely re-chambered to '06 for sale here after the Reds took over.
j

I have both a Remington and a Westinghouse made 1891 and they seem to be a little more refined than the WWII and the refurbed models sold lately. Regarding comparison with the refurbished, much may be to the rough refinish of the guns compared to the original condition, 100 years of use can smooth actions a fair bit.

A couple buddies collect Mosins, they had over 200 of them each last I heard. Some are much better finished than others with the Finnish rebuilds being very well done. At least in comparison to the Russian ones. The French models were closer to the Finns than the Riussians from the few I have seen.

I am blown to 6 Mosins, the two U.S. made guns, one M38, one M44, and a pair of refurbed 91/36s. One of the latter is a hex receiver which means nothing as its a refurb but some ooh and ahh over just the same. The other is a round receiver which I just finished turning into a scout rifle with a UTG replacement sight. I did this as the rifle showed promise with Hornady Vintage Match ammo with open sights. I hope to develop an accurate load if possible, and use it in a couple of fun matches.

I bought these back when $88 got you three 91/36s two M38 or 44 or a combo, or a single SKS. For under $350 I bought all these as well as a spam can each of the appropriate ammo. I shpuld have bought more.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup ugly as sin. Kinda a Ruger skeleton or a Glock..... sick sick

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Uglydog2

I bought these back when $88 got you three 91/36s two M38 or 44 or a combo, or a single SKS.

Wow, I thought I got a good deal at $79 each for my 91 and 44!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Until recently, I had a minty Remington Armory 1917 with a U.S. cartouche. I understand that when Russia quit fighting in WW1, Remington was sitting on tens of thousands of these rifles that they turned over the the U.S. Army for basic training (Manual Of Arms?) weapons and also for issue when the U.S. Army was guarding the eastern end of the Trans-Siberia Railroad, circa 1918-1920.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an ex PU sniper 91/30 my wife got me for Christmas a while back. It is surprisingly accurate.

I am always on the lookout for a Finn 38. I missed my opportunity when they were cheap.

TANSTAAFL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.