Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have an all-weather Hawkeye 30-06 I bought a couple years ago, I want to replace the trigger. Anyone have a recommendation for a good drop in replacement trigger?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My older Mk II's have Timney triggers. They required a bit of fitting of the 3-position safety.
I thought the Hawkeye trigger was supposed to be better than what came in my rifles. Rife Basics is also worth a look, they used to be true drop-in.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Wolffe spring works wonders. Did 2 or 3 of them with that, and 2-3 pounds is easily attainable.

Last edited by KenMi; 02/04/16.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If your hawkeye trigger is good. ie: breaks pretty clean, just heavy, try one of the aftermarket springs. I have used Earnie's with success. In my experience that will take some of the weight off. You can do some very minor polishing the engagement surface too. Some folks would stone it, but I have had some luck hitting it with a dremel polishing wheel.

The timney will require you to file to fit the trigger under the safety. Its a bit of a PITA, but takes less than a half hour and if you can move a file it shouldn't be a problem. The timney will break clean and is adjustable to less than 2 lbs.

The spring option is ~$10, the Timney is ~$120. I have done a few of both and both can work depending on what your goal is.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun. Bought the Ernie spring and took it to my local gunsmith. He has an assortment of springs he uses. I told him to use whatever spring he that was best. My trigger was 4.5 before I took it to him. He honed sear and replaced spring. Got it done to 1.5 pounds with no creep. Past the bump test. He also honed bolt rails, free floated and glass bed action. Total cost was $45.00.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 700xcr
I have the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun. Bought the Ernie spring and took it to my local gunsmith. He has an assortment of springs he uses. I told him to use whatever spring he that was best. My trigger was 4.5 before I took it to him. He honed sear and replaced spring. Got it done to 1.5 pounds with no creep. Past the bump test. He also honed bolt rails, free floated and glass bed action. Total cost was $45.00.
Not to derail the thread but, I'd like to find a gunsmith that would do all that work for $45.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I have an all-weather Hawkeye 30-06 I bought a couple years ago, I want to replace the trigger. Anyone have a recommendation for a good drop in replacement trigger?

I went with a Rifle Basix Trigger and really like it. Easy enough to install. A spring kit may be even easier and less expensive?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by 700xcr
Not to derail the thread but, I'd like to find a gunsmith that would do all that work for $45.
His wife is an owner operator truck driver and he is retired. He doesn't do gunsmith to make a profit. He does it to met gun friends to keep him occupied.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my hawkeye, I just ground a couple of coils out of the factory spring. It is about 4 lb now, good enough for a big game rifle.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I just ordered a spring from Ernie's. Might try polishing the surface where the sear meets the trigger too...

IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Hawkeye that had a Timney in it when I bought it (second-hand). The PO said Timney installed it). It is a very nice and quality trigger, but too light for a field/hunting gun, IMO. I put the Ruger spring back in, but kept the Timney shoe and sear.

Jard also makes a Ruger trigger. Never used one of those before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My suggestion is to keep the open design Ruger trigger and do a little work on the trigger engagement surface and the sear. I'm no mechanic, but in about thirty minutes I can make you forget about wanting a replacement trigger...........and in all likelihood, so can you. Just follow the directions on these two sites.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/images/trigger.gif

If you are talking about a replacement trigger anyway, what have you got to lose other than about 30 to 45 minutes of your time. It ain't that hard.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lastround
My suggestion is to keep the open design Ruger trigger and do a little work on the trigger engagement surface and the sear. I'm no mechanic, but in about thirty minutes I can make you forget about wanting a replacement trigger...........and in all likelihood, so can you. Just follow the directions on these two sites.

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/images/trigger.gif

If you are talking about a replacement trigger anyway, what have you got to lose other than about 30 to 45 minutes of your time. It ain't that hard.......

Goes without saying. If you can't work on a Ruger 77 trigger, you probably shouldn't be allowed to own a gun...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have done 4-5 Timney's in M77 MKII and Hawkeye configs and 3 Rifle Basix in Hawkeyes. If had to order another tomorrow, it would be the Rifle Basix. Very easy to install and adjust to a crisp light break. Very nice for the price.

Mark in GA

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not to hard to work over the factory trigger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.