Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
What one boot would you choose for all-around use? Thinking mule deer and elk in a range of temperatures, mild terrain up to the steeper stuff. Does one boot serve such a purpose, or do you really rely on a few different options?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The problem is what your feet can handle temperature-wise. I've hunted elk at 80 and at below 0. An uninsulated boot is best when it's hot but it takes a lot of warm socks to wear them at 0. It's the opposite with insulated ones. Can your feet stand being soaked in sweat all day when it's hot?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm in MN so no stranger to temperature extremes, but point taken. I tend to have no problem staying warm with moderate activity even at 0. How much insulation do you like for typical spot and stalk hunting, in let's say 30 degree weather?

I'm more interested in what you guys think about boot design and construction... Some of the top climbing boots seem awful bulky and stiff which is great when it's needed, but do you swap them out for something lighter when the going isn't so rough? I guess I should just ask what you're currently running in various conditions and places...

Not trying to fingerphuck this topic jeff_o style, just wondering if there's a single boot out there that would suffice 95% of the time.

Last edited by cast10K; 02/05/16.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think the Meindl Perfekt is about as good an all-rounder as you are going to find. It has enough flex to walk in all day, and enough support to carry heavy loads. Wouldn't be my first pick for coming down a loose rock section with a heavy pack, but I've done it several times.

I'm running Denali's now, and they are stiffer and not insulated. I can still cover ground in them, but it helps a lot to adjust lacing.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been using Danner, with goreTex, thinsulate, vibram soles. As noted above, with 200 gram thinsulate they are pretty good but not for extreme hot or cold temperatures.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My opinion is that no one boot can perform to the extremes. I use a Meindl Perfekt for everything up to late elk season. Then I transition to Schnee Mountain Hunters with two pair of felt packs to switch off each morning. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Salomon 4D GTX-- they'll keep your feet dry, still have good sensitivity to touch for the stalk and plenty of ankle support. My next two would be Lowa Renegade GTX and the lightest I go for when it is super hot is the Lowa Zephyr.

Used all three extensively hunting in the states and during 7 trips to OEF and OIF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Uninsulated by a long shot for me. I like an all leather heavy duty hiker between 8-10" tall. Adding gaiters allows me to where them in some pretty cold conditions. IME elk hunting requires enough moving around that keeping feet warm is not a tough chore. Much different than stand hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 3 pairs of boots for elk hunting. When its warm, 50 degrees, or I'm only walking, I wear Salomon Quest 4D. For most days, about 90% of the time, I wear Danner/Cabelas Elk Hunters with 400 grams thinsulite. I've worn these boots to below zero. When its cold, I break out the Danner Canadians with 600 grams thinsulite.

The conundrum with elk hunting is that you don't want 10lb boots on your feet. You also have to trade off warm enough with light enough. The trump card is boot fit and foot/boot stability. If you hunt in steep areas, both your feet and boots will be tested. I tend to trade a couple extra ounces on my feet for a boot that will stay together, not torture my feet, and fits. Buy good boots that fit and are 'warm enough'.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Check out HanWag top GTX boots. I have been using them for acouple years now.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to like Danners and a few other makers, but their quality has gone downhill lately IMO.

The last couple years I have used Kenetrek and a Romanian maker known as AKU. That AKU is the only pair I have ever had that lasted longer than one season. It is 10" or so tall and has (I think) 400 grams of thininsulate, or whatever their equivalent is. I like them a size too big so thicker socks can be worn when its really cold. I haven't found them to be overly hot in warmer weather, but they are a little if you're hiking a lot in 60 or so degree weather. They're also not too big to get into stirrups.

Most of the normal boots, Irish Setter, Redwing, Underarmor, newer Danners, Rocky's etc. have rarely lasted me more than a couple months. The seams attaching the sole to the rest of the boot usually blow out first and then they're useless.

Meindl seems like a good one too, but I have not had enough of them to really get a feel for them.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Much of the decision depends on the state you hunt as well as the length and timing of the season. You could usually get away with one pair of uninsulated boots if you target hunts in September through October. Uninsulated boots into November is a gamble. Personally I have 3 pairs ranging from uninsulated to 800 gram. I hunt from Labor Day to Thanksgiving between a couple states. I put far more miles on my uninsulated boots then any other pair I have, but the last week of the season was -25 and even the 800 gram were cold as soon as there was a pause in hiking. Lots of good choices but overall can't go wrong with any of the big names as far as I am concerned.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here are a pair of Underarmours on their second or third hunt. Unimpressed to say the least. These were fine since this was a nice, warm weather hunt, though it was rough country. If there was any kind of rain or snow, I would have been miserable.
[Linked Image]

You're doing the right thing by researching first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One all around boot is tough. I've made a few vids that show some of the more popular boots. They might help you some.

The Meindl perfekt is a great boot but it's a little soft for a lot of side hilling and rock slide type of stuff. If you don't do much of that, it would be a very good option. I like the Denali a bit more for an all around western boot.

My favorite boot right now for a elk/mule deer type of thing is a pretty stiff one but it's a great one. It's the Lowa techlight hunter. If you're cruising around regular trails and such it would probably be overkill.

My favorite light weight boot is the Salomon 4D GTX. It's not built as tough as some of the others but it's a terrific "light duty" boot. I find myself using them quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfApS_NRQjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLbByBB32Y

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks like that is at least 3x votes for the Salomon 4D GTXs...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scarpa Triolet

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add another vote for the Quests- I'm sold on them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If I may ask a question from the felt pack crew. Really like the Schnee's packs for Deep snow. Change the felt each day to dry ones, but after a couple days the skin on my soles is cracking.

So far the best I've come up with is to apply Bag Balm daily. However, it doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

Last edited by battue; 02/06/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a diabetic foot cream, runs about $15 at my drug store. That and definitely air out your feet midday and when back at night. I used to have the same problem.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.