-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did the opposite. In stead of moving closer to work, I moved work closer to me. I'm a Vision Center Manager for Wal-Mart, and my commute was 50 minutes each way for 7 years, all freeway, and about 85% of it during morning or evening rush hour. A store opened up in my neighboring community, and I transferred there. Commute is now less than 15 minutes, my fuel consumption is down over 60%, my cars last longer, and there's no travel related stress. I had a typical traffic jam on the way to work yesterday-3 deer crossing the road!

I didn't realize how stressed I was from putting up with the idiots on my commute. The store I was in was an urban store, and virtually a free-fire zone among the gangs. Now, I'm in a rural store. My customers are my neighbors, area farmers-just plain good folks. Shorten the drive up and improve your life.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live in town, and commute to the farm a couple of times a week. We're looking at buying property near the farm, but there are a couple of things that I, at least, consider.

First, is the simple risk of driving a long distance every day. Driving is by far, BY FAR, the most dangerous thing we do. Throw in a mountain pass and icy roads, rising and/or setting sun in your eyes, and it makes me want to live very close to work.

Second is wear and tear on the vehicles. I do a little over 30,000 miles a year on the truck. The last one had 360,000 miles on her when my son spun out at hit the guard rail with it. Big commutes eat vehicles, a HUGE expense.

I grew up on a farm, and isolation is something that doesn't faze me, but many women don't cope well with "can't see the neighbor" scenarios. Unhappy wife, unhappy life..... When you get older, distance to relatives and medical facilities seem to become more important.

For us, we're happy to enjoy the benefits of a smaller town, theater, restaurants, movies, decent selection at the liquor store..... Plus, the redhead has her relatives in town, and that makes a difference, too. For a while yet, I'm commuting, and that's ok.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I work from home now and travel to visit customers. Every time I watch Doc Hollywood, I think about moving to a small town.

Anyway, I agree with Teal's comment about unwinding in the car. I know it sounds crazy, due to traffic problems, etc. But when I used to walk to work, I missed the time unwinding between work and home.

Dad drove 13 miles one way in Houston for years. Took on average 1 hour or more.

Moved to the country at my begging, and moved the business too, but not to where we lived quite.... he had a 39 mile one way drive then every day. Took on average about 42 minutes IIRC.

Less drive time, 3 times the distance, and much more relaxing drive.

If I had to be forced to pay the bills and it required moving to a city, I would I guess. As long as I knew there was NO other way to do it. Other than that, anyone that moves closer to or into a city is nuts, but I'm thankful for them.

The job will eventually end, and then what are you stuck with...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
I live in town, and commute to the farm a couple of times a week. We're looking at buying property near the farm, but there are a couple of things that I, at least, consider.

First, is the simple risk of driving a long distance every day. Driving is by far, BY FAR, the most dangerous thing we do. Throw in a mountain pass and icy roads, rising and/or setting sun in your eyes, and it makes me want to live very close to work.

Second is wear and tear on the vehicles. I do a little over 30,000 miles a year on the truck. The last one had 360,000 miles on her when my son spun out at hit the guard rail with it. Big commutes eat vehicles, a HUGE expense.

I grew up on a farm, and isolation is something that doesn't faze me, but many women don't cope well with "can't see the neighbor" scenarios. Unhappy wife, unhappy life..... When you get older, distance to relatives and medical facilities seem to become more important.

For us, we're happy to enjoy the benefits of a smaller town, theater, restaurants, movies, decent selection at the liquor store..... Plus, the redhead has her relatives in town, and that makes a difference, too. For a while yet, I'm commuting, and that's ok.

The unhappy wife/life thing just means you didn't choose right....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

The unhappy wife/life thing just means you didn't choose right....

Oh, I picked VERY CAREFULLY.... the second time around. Willingness to live at the end of the road was not a deal breaker issue, let me assure you.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like to live very close to where I work.

I lived out of town once, and it was terrible. 15 minute drive to the harbor, post office, etc. Now I can walk to the harbor in under 5.

BPS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good god, if I'm working a job an hour from home I'm happier than a pig in $hit. I'm usually 1 1/2 - 2 hours each way, at times its been 2 1/2 - 3 hours each way. But that's a price I'll gladly pay to support my family & have my kids grow up in a rural area.

I've commuted to work down south for close to twenty years & if anything, I want to move even farther away from the city.

There's nothing in the city that I need, to many a$$holes stacked up on top of eachother, traffic jams, gangs, drugs, filth....

Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"City" can be a relative term. Technically we're in the city limits, but on a 1/2 acre where we watch the sun set over the ocean from our dining room

[Linked Image]

Neighbors include

[Linked Image] black bears, mountain goats, wolverines, fox and I'm sure yotes though I haven't seen one yet.

Drive 10-15 minutes and I'm hiking in the hills with these views.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its 38.5 miles one from the end of my driveway to my parking spot at work .....u CAN NOT put a price on a good time >period...5 miles one way to the next guy on the power line is a dream date IMO... Of course .…everyday in Alaska is a weekend.... Many don't understand that/and u can't be helped....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.