Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I am considering adding Hi-Power to my stable. Primary purposes would be winter carry when OWB holsters are doable and a fair amount of range use and pistol classes. It would be replacing a M&P9 I just have never grown to love. I've already shot one and generally liked how it operated. I'm interested in any info for a potential buyer to know ahead of time- best years, best features, things to look for, any particular custom models...

I took a look at the new Nighthawk custom models online, and while very pretty they may be slightly outside my price range.

Many thanks for any help.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was an excellent one in the Classified recently. If still there, you could do FAR worse.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you can work the controls on a 1911 then a Hi-Power is a perfect "Little Brother".

For a user I would seek a MKIII version in 9mm. The early Brownings are works of art but if you want a duty gun out of the box the MKIII is the way to go. The sights on the MKIII (and MKII) are superior, not to mention better pricing.

There is more to learn but this is a good way to start.

[Linked Image]

MKIII Forged Frame

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Old technology. Get a Glock whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
High Powers were very cool guns in 1945 but have little relevance today as a carry piece.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stick with a MKII or MKIII for a shooter, they have better sights especially the MKIII, and a much more robust extractor. The newest MKIIIs have a cast frame but are in reality the toughest of the breed, you can tell the difference by the lines on the bottom of the grip, forged frames are smooth. Most MKIII guns also come with a good ambi safety already installed if that matter to you. The better finished of the bunch will be the guns made for Browning, not that the Israeli guns or any other police of military ones are inferior function wise after they've been gone through.

Cylinder and Slide make excellent fire control parts like sears and no bite hammers as well as a nice strong side or ambi safeties. Hougue, Herrett, and Spegel thin checkered grips are a nice addition as well and it's too badUncle Mikes doesn't offer the Spegel grips any more. BarSto still makes match barrel though I haven't seen one of the newer HiPowers that didntshoot just fine with the issue barrel.

The P35 is still my favorite 9mm and I often wonder why they seem so underappreciated. I know where there are two that have been on the shelf for three years, nobody looks at them and nobody buys them.

Last edited by TheKid; 02/06/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
High Powers were very cool guns in 1945 but have little relevance today as a carry piece.

I knew you'd come around! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see what you did there.....grin

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
The newest MKIIIs have a cast frame but are in reality the toughest of the breed...

The newest being anything made over the last 20-years or so. wink

Another thing to consider is the sight cut in the slide. The adjustables might suffice for a plinker, but not much else. Fortunately, most of the adjustables can be easily replaced with sights that don't suck. Unfortunately, some of the adjustables are slightly milled/lowered into the slide and that complicates replacement. The sight cut is somewhat unique and IMO in the wrong location (too far forward to avoid having to cut the FP stop plate).

Sooo, my recommendation for a workman-like Hi-Power would be a cast frame MkIII with a simple dovetail sight cuts - in blue (because I like blue). If you plan on shooting a bunch of lead and want top accuracy you could consider a slower twisted barrel down the line.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wanted a hi-power in the worst way. Almost bought one several times. Then one day I found the keeper.......... I racked the slide and it sliced me open. Took it as a sign. I have "meaty" hands. Slide bite would be a regular occurrence I saw sadly.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I usually cut a set of Novak or Heinie sights into any HiPower I end up with though the Mrs does have a nice MKII with the beercan sight. The fixed MKIII sights are serviceable and really not bad IMO with the vertical white lines. The adjustables all pretty much suck, being either too big or too fragile for anything other than a range gun. Luckily a Novak cut wil clean up all bt the Competition rear sight cut and nobody with any sense is going to butcher a HP Competition. Stay away from guns with Millet dual crimp front sights, they can't be cut for a dovetail front and if the front loosens up over time then good luck finding a new one to crimp in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I am considering adding Hi-Power to my stable. Primary purposes would be winter carry when OWB holsters are doable and a fair amount of range use and pistol classes. It would be replacing a M&P9 I just have never grown to love. I've already shot one and generally liked how it operated. I'm interested in any info for a potential buyer to know ahead of time- best years, best features, things to look for, any particular custom models...

I took a look at the new Nighthawk custom models online, and while very pretty they may be slightly outside my price range.

Many thanks for any help.
If you're working backwards, I'd suggest skipping it and going directly to an SAA. Or you could get a flintlock horse pistol.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TheKid
it's too badUncle Mikes doesn't offer the Spegel grips any more. BarSto still makes match barrel though I haven't seen one of the newer HiPowers that didntshoot just fine with the issue barrel.

The P35 is still my favorite 9mm and I often wonder why they seem so underappreciated. I know where there are two that have been on the shelf for three years, nobody looks at them and nobody buys them.

IMHO the popularity of the BHP has declined due to the general bias against SA semiautos as CC EDCs. The MKIII BHP design corrects some of the more frequently cited features of the 1911 that complicate the manual of arms for SD EDC - greater capacity, integral MSH, no grip safety, dovetail FS cut, serviceable issue sights.

Craig Spegel makes intermittent runs of his BHP grips - I just got 2 sets in the past year. You just need to call him, get on his list and wind up with beautiful, highly serviceable wood grips by a master.

The MK III BHP issue sights are easily replaced with fixed tritium 3-dots. They may not blend in with the rear of the slide as well as milled-in-place Novak Low Mounts, but they work perfectly well. Magazine disconnector removal is pretty easy and makes a difference both in trigger pull and ease of after market drop free mag SD use.

If you go down the route of replacing internals, C&S, Wolff, Bar-Sto, Garthwaite are good sources, and the sky is the limit.

I like Glocks enough to carry them - now that I figured out how to slim down the grips on the G-29/30 models - and the M&Ps right out of the box suit me, with just a few tweaks.

That admission made, the MKIII BHP is a great pistol - a slimmer, high-cap version of the 1911 that just slips into a good IWB holster. It's just not a polymer framed SF gun.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

The author died a few years ago so no idea how long this stuff will be available, so get it while you can.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Stephan Camp is THE recognized Hi-Power Guru and more . . .

The gentleman's writings and opinions are timeless!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one I bought new in the early 90's. Reliable, fits the hand good, best looking auto out there. I carry a Glock or HK or Smith poly striker gun. I would not feel bad if it was all I had to work with, but it is sharp edged and a down on capacity for the size and weight of the gun. My trigger is not that good, even after a trigger job. Kind of negates the purpose of a SA auto.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
MK III forged frame. Novak sights, mag safety removal and a little trigger work. Slide was re-parked and a set of Uncle Mike's stocks were added. All you need and nothing more.
Bob

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
NICE clean gun Bob....

I have not had a HP since the 1970s. Would probably look at another one but still two major objections... First is the tang...it is just too short and I've been hammer bit several times over the years shooting friends guns. The second is the manual safety...not quite large enough and I don't like the fact that there isn't a positive detente like on a 1911.

But new or old they are works of art...and unlike plastic have a soul....

Bob

...I may have to look again.... grin

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
I have not had a HP since the 1970s. Would probably look at another one but still two major objections... First is the tang...it is just too short and I've been hammer bit several times over the years shooting friends guns. The second is the manual safety...not quite large enough and I don't like the fact that there isn't a positive detente like on a 1911.

The safety grew since the '70's of course, along with some extended aftermarket versions, and there is a détente.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by RJM

The safety grew since the '70's of course, along with some extended aftermarket versions, and there is a détente.

I replaced the safety on my current HP with the Cylinder &Slide safety. Much mo-betta. Positive detent. Just the right size. Shaped more like a 1911 safety. Worth every penny.

Can't help you with the hammer bite thing. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.