Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anybody reload the Hornady 55 gr V-Max in .223? I am wondering what your C.O.L is. I am having issues with them not chambering all the time due to the bullet bottoming out and jamming into the rifling. Right now my C.O.L. is 2.200.

Any suggestions?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seat it until it doesn't touch. Chambers dependign, can have hugely different leads, which means how quick the bullet ogive gets to the rifling.

mark the bullet and keep seating deeper until you are clear.

As long as you are under around 2.250 OAL you'll fit most all mags just fine...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Remember too if you are already at a max load as you seat deeper you decrease case capacity and increase pressure somewhat... if you have to go quiet a bit I'd back off and creep back up again on powder...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That seems like an awfully short throat. What barrel and chamber do you have? 2.250" has worked for me and is what the Hornady manual lists. Measure your brass and make sure it doesn't need to be trimmed.

I would also suggest picking up a OAL gauge so you can set your seating depth based on your chamber and not book values.

Last edited by wareagle700; 02/07/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
if the bullet is jamming in the rifling, its not case length at all. Its an OAL issue.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am aware of that. I recommended checking the case length just because 2.200" is pretty short to have OAL problems. Unless he is getting rifling marks on the bullet, it's worth a look.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
jamming into rifling in his first post says to me there are marks on the bullet, BUT I could be reading it wrong too. I've done that before.

Short leades do make one think about case OAL, although I can't recall ever trimming brass on my match guns. I trimmed it once on first go round and never touched it ever again.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There are rifling marks on the bullet. The brass is trimmed to spec. This is why I am questioning the C.O.L.

The rifle is a Daniel Defense M4A1.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Just sent my varmint barrel back to Rainier arms to have the throat lengthened because those bullets would not allow the bolt to lock.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picture of the rifling marks on the bullet? Something doesn't sound right, you should have no problem with your current COAL in a 5.56 chamber. If you are certain of your loads, I'd get a OAL gauge and measure the chamber. That or send to DD for inspection.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Part of the problem, we have no clue what chamber it is.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He says its a DDM4A1 which would mean it has a 5.56 NATO chamber.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't do well with assumptions, but you are probably correct and IIRC nato chambers are pretty big...something ain't sounding right...

Supposed to be nato on that model and someone ran a Krieger match reamer instead....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, it is 5.56 NATO chambered. I will try to get pics posted in the next few days.

The bullet can get marked as it feeds from the mag to the chamber and be scored as if engaging riflings. Paint a bullet with a sharpie then hold the rifle downward and drop a loaded OAL 2.20" round into the chamber then close the bolt and slowly eject the round and look for rifling marks concentrically on the bullet. If you see the 4 or 5 scores evenly spaced around the bullet then I guess you have a real short throat. The only 2.20" OAL rounds I use are the Speer 70gr semi roundnose bullets that have a lot of forward swell. The V-maxes are pretty sharp and long tapered.

With over 15 revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball.
Gun control=OSHA for criminals
NRA Life
SASS life
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Can't wait to hear this outcome. Never heard of 2.20 being too short for any 55 grainer. IMO, that rifle gets packed & shipped to DD. Going shorter than 2.20 can be the start of a bunch of other problems. JMHO,
Jim D

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
What problems on shorter than 2.200? Bearing surface? Or case capacity and those 2 should be obvious to anyone that relaoads? Just curious

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hellgate
The bullet can get marked as it feeds from the mag to the chamber and be scored as if engaging riflings. Paint a bullet with a sharpie then hold the rifle downward and drop a loaded OAL 2.20" round into the chamber then close the bolt and slowly eject the round and look for rifling marks concentrically on the bullet. If you see the 4 or 5 scores evenly spaced around the bullet then I guess you have a real short throat. The only 2.20" OAL rounds I use are the Speer 70gr semi roundnose bullets that have a lot of forward swell. The V-maxes are pretty sharp and long tapered.

The marks you get from chambering do not resemble rifling marks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just seat to fit the magazine

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
just seat to fit the magazine

He is having problems chambering at 2.200". How would seating at 2.260" help?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.