Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
My LGS has a B-14 Woodline & Timber waiting for me. I haven't seen either but thinking about buying the wood stock version What did you get? e you happy it? How does it shoot?

Last edited by gahuntertom; 02/06/16.
BP-B6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bergra Creedmoo sounds like the name of some pantywaist social activist. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're not supposed to fix it now.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I got the B14 synthetic have not shot it yet. The wood stock guns are about 1/2 lb heavier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the B14 Timber, 6.5 Creedmore, walnut-stocked with cheekpiece. Once it arrived at my home I scrubbed the factory-supplied traces of copper out of the barrel with JB Paste until the bore shined and then applied the Dyna Bore Coat.

Yesterday I fired the ten curing rounds and got the scope adjusted to near a 100 yard zero at the same time. As with past rifles, the curing rounds don't produce a very good group.

Today I cleaned the barrel by first removing the over-night soak of Wipe-Out foam, then going after the traces of copper with KG-12 and Montana X-Treme. The borescope told me when the last trace of copper was gone.

The bright shine in the bore produced by the JB Paste is now replaced by a somewhat darker, duller appearance that is characteristic of a DBC treated bore.

In my opinion, this thorough cleaning of the bore (but without abrasives) after the initial 8-10 curing shots is important to help get a consistent coating spread over the entire surface of the bore.

The initial curing shot always leaves some copper fouling, as does each subsequent curing shot. It is likely that this copper fouling will block those areas covered by the copper from developing complete coverage of the cured ceramic layer that we desire.

It is common experience that the first bore cleaning after the curing shots shows almost no reduction in cleaning effort required, or reduction in fouling. But then there is a very significant reduction in fouling for the next two or three cleanings and then fouling stabilizes at the new-normal state of reduced bore fouling compared to the pre-treatment level. From that point on we enjoy the benefit of the product: reduced fouling and easier cleaning, less often.

I believe this shows that curing of the DBC treatment is still continuing to take place, producing an even coating to the entire surface of the bore, for the first few dozen rounds fired through the bore, possibly aided by the next two or three cleanings of the bore. High temperature and pressure is what is doing the "curing".

I suspect that any copper fouling from the initial curing shots that is not removed during the first cleaning after initial curing may result in incomplete coverage of the ceramic coating within the bore.

This may be the cause for some few first-time DBC users concluding that the treatment didn't work very well for their rifle, or why an occasional rifle may need a follow-up treatment to get satisfactory results.

For those reasons I try to do a very good cleaning of the barrel for the first couple of cleanings after treating with DBC, and I have always gotten good results.

I did not hesitate to treat this brand new Bergara barrel because close inspection with the borescope showed a high level of finish quality. No flaws or obvious tool marks were found and the leade area was very clean and smooth. A very tight patch run down the barrel showed no change in drag from end-to-end, indicating consistent dimension.

The Bergara company claims to use a proprietary honing process on their button-rifled barrels to produce a fine finish, which seemed confirmed by my borescope observations.

A future report will include information on accuracy. My observations of the rifle itself are very positive.

Function for the curing shots was flawless. The action of the bolt is very smooth. The trigger pull was crisp and clean at just over three pounds. The bare rifle weighed 7 lbs., 6 ozs., as expected, so this is not a light-weight. The synthetic-stocked rifle is about a half-pound lighter.

There is also a walnut-stocked version of the rifle with an American-style classic stock sans the cheekpiece and monte carlo that is listed at 4 ozs. lighter than the Timber. I have yet to see that version.

The fit and finish of the wood and metal are exceptionally good for a rifle in the under $1,000. class. With DROS fee and sales tax my out-the-door cost at Sportsman's Warehouse was $842. The synthetic stock version is $100 less.

This rifle is a good example of the state-of-the-art of high-quality CNC machining of the metal and the wood, including the flawless checkering. The barrel is free-floating and the action is pillar-bedded. The bottom-metal is aluminum. When I checked to make sure the magazine box wasn't binding I found that it wasn't, by the tiniest amount of movement, that was almost undetectable. Another indication of the precise CNC machining.

A plus factor for the American market, the rifle is deliberately dimensioned to Remington M-700 specs. Scope bases, triggers and I believe even stocks are interchangeable,I have been told. I used a nice set of two-piece Buehler Rem 700 bases and rings finished with Birdsong Black-T that I recently obtained from Campfire member RDFinn, and they fit perfectly.

The finish on the walnut stock is a very light oil finish with no attempt to fill the grain. It is attractive and very smooth. The pistol-grip has a pleasant, but modest, Wundhammer swell on the right side. The checkering is attractive, generous, and functional.

So far the only nit-pick I have found to criticize is the location and the somewhat low-quality appearance of the rifle's serial number on the forward right side of the action. Also uncommon is the fact that all the barrel markings and the chambering stamping are on the right side of the barrel.

The bolt-knob is perfectly round, which I prefer; not too big and not too small. The knob is screwed onto the end of the steel handle, but the knob itself is not steel. In any case it looks good and works well.

So far I am pleased with my purchase of this Bergara rifle. When I get a chance to spend some time at the range with it I will provide a follow-up report.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A plus factor for the American market, the rifle is deliberately dimensioned to Remington M-700 specs. Scope bases, triggers and I believe even stocks are interchangeable,I have been told.

A 700 stock will likely fit with just a tad bit of tweaking. I say likely because my experience with the LG store gun, the trigger well on a 700 stock needs to be opened up lengthwise to allow the Bergara trigger to drop in (protruding adjustment screws). (Yes, the LGS guys were curious, as was I, so we attempted to put a SPS stock on the B-14). Being that the trigger would not drop down into the trigger inletting we were not able to determine if the bolt release would clear the stock line. Lastly, we found the recoil lug (fixed on the Bergara, not sandwiched like the 700) was .085" wider than the 700 and would not drop into the recoil lug mortise.

I suspect that all of these differences would be moot points to a looney. I have a McM HTG 700 S/A that I'm gonna take in and see if it will accommodate the B-14 w/o modification. I suspect it will. The HTG had no 'web' between the trigger inletting and mag well. And, McMs generally have a generous mortise for the recoil lug.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bergara North America is giving a few rifles away on their Facebook page.

Last edited by fats; 02/10/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you ever put your Bergera barreled action into the McM stock that was inletted for a Remington 700?

If so, how did it fit?

Did you have to modify it much to meet your expectations?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've heard of the Bergera rifles but that's about it. Are they a 700 clone?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Did you ever put your Bergera barreled action into the McM stock that was inletted for a Remington 700?

If so, how did it fit?

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder. I'll see if I can swing it tomorrow and report back.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a 6.5 but I bought the B-14 Hunter in 308 to play with. So far I cant find anything bad to say about it. The stock is plenty stiff floated nicely and the barrel runs perfectly down the center.The bolt runs smooth and it feeds and ejects perfectly.The trigger is crisp and easily adjusted to 2.5 pounds.I did not Dyna Bore Coat the barrel it is smooth and cleans easily in my opinion it doesn't need it. Bought a pair of Talley Lightweight lows and put a Kahles 3-9 AH on it and its good to go.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img] [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img] [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If so, how did it fit?

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder. I'll see if I can swing it tomorrow and report back.

OK, finally got a chance to do some stock swapping on the B-14. Mind you this is a sample of one. Using a B-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor, I had no problems dropping it in a McMillan 700 S/A BDL Compact. On the other hand it would not drop-in a High Tech Specialties 700 BDL S/A. The mortise for the High Tech as it comes in factory form, needs to be opened up slightly and there is room in the stock to do so. The recoil lug mortise on the McM is generous. No issues with the trigger on either stock. Bergara hinged floorplate and trigger-guard was a snug fit, but fit none-the-less.

All of this said, I would have no hesitation in buying a Bergara B-14, with an eye towards a future upgrade to a McM stock. Hope this helps.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
596 members (007FJ, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.